Home

What Does Toughness Do?

This is a discussion on What Does Toughness Do? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-24-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
What Does Toughness Do?

Does anyone know how Toughness affects all the different positions?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2012, 01:27 AM   #2
MVP

d11king's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: What Does Toughness Do?

I think when a player gets injured, I would assume its recovery time?

For instance a player with a low toughness could be out 10 weeks with a broken collarbone, whereas a player with a high toughness misses 2 weeks...

All of this on top of their injury ratings.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
Pro

BTownSlinger's Arena

OVR: 5

I would like to know what exactly that does as well.

What is Predictability? Isn't that the same as Consistent? And how do either of them work if your player has a "High Motor"? Is a high motor worth purchasing? I just don't want to be wasting points.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Consistency is the one that I really don't understand, I've upgraded guys from 0 to 4 and seen no change in their week-to-week performance.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Banned

throckmeisterz's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGoat
Consistency is the one that I really don't understand, I've upgraded guys from 0 to 4 and seen no change in their week-to-week performance.
I've actually been extremely surprised at how much consistency seems to help. It's most noticeable for your WRs and TEs. The first time I gave a receiver a point in consistency, the next game he had his best game ever, and continued on this new level afterwards (improving, of course, as he developed). I believe it determines hot/cold streaks: a higher rating means a player stays hot longer and easier. Also, (and this could be completely false, but it's just my impression) I find that players with higher consistency seem to perform more consistently play-by-play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by throckmeisterz
I've actually been extremely surprised at how much consistency seems to help. It's most noticeable for your WRs and TEs. The first time I gave a receiver a point in consistency, the next game he had his best game ever, and continued on this new level afterwards (improving, of course, as he developed). I believe it determines hot/cold streaks: a higher rating means a player stays hot longer and easier. Also, (and this could be completely false, but it's just my impression) I find that players with higher consistency seem to perform more consistently play-by-play.

Players can play below their actual ratings during a game. It goes based on the idea that you just can't play up to your maximum athletic and mental potential on every single play during a game. Consistency addresses this issue. A player with 4 consistency will never play below his ratings, while a player with 0 consistency will play below their ratings at decent regularity.

Predictability affects offseason behavior and contractual issues. A more predictable player will accept less $$$ for a contract extension, won't jump ship to retire as early, and won't push for an opportunity at free agency as aggressively, stuff like that.

Also, high motor is totally worth it.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
Rookie

So INJURY affects the likelyhood of an injury... and TOUGHNESS affects the quickness of recovery? Is that for sure?
Old 10-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 11

Attributes and Ratings in Madden Football
These are definitions of Madden attributes, actual implementation is based on the internal programming.
(OVR) Overall - The overall rating of a player depending on key attributes for his position
(SPD) Speed - The top speed a player can run
(ACC) Acceleration - How fast a player reaches top speed
(STR) Strength - The player's strength,
(AGI) Agility - How fast a player can switch directions and how much space it takes to do so
(AWR) Awareness - A player's ability to react and adjust
(CTH) Catching - How well the player can catch
(CAR) Carrying - How well the player holds onto the football. A higher rating means the less chance of a fumble.
(THP) Throw Power - How far a player can throw the ball and how fast a thrown ball gets to its target
(THA) Throw Accuracy - How accurate a player throws, replaced by new attributes of short, medium and deep
THA (Short) - How accurate a player throws short passes
THA (Mid) How accurate a player throws medium passes
THA (Deep) - How accurate a player throws deep passes
(PAC) Play Action - Determines the play action effectiveness for the QB position
(RUN) Throw on the run - Accuracy when throwing on the run, rolling out or when feet are not set
(KPW) Kick Power - A kicker's power
(KAC) Kick Accuracy - A kicker's accuracy
(RBK) Run Block - How well a player run blocks, used mainly in simulated games only
(PBK) Pass Block - How well a player pass blocks, used mainly in simulated games only
(TAK) Tackle - A player's ability to tackle.
(JMP) Jumping - The player's ability to jump and how high
(RET) Return - Skill of the player as a punt or kick returner
(INJ) Injury - The likelihood of an injury
(STA) Stamina - The player's stamina level and how soon he will tire
(TGH) Toughness - A players ability to recover from injuries and the severity of injuries
(TRK) Trucking - Player's ability to run over a defender attempting a tackle
(ELU) Elusiveness - Likely the ability to escape tackles (or perhaps sacks)
(BCV) Ball Carrier Vision - Ability to spot the open field
(SFA) Stiff Arm - Players ability to stiff arm
(SPM) Spin Move - Players ability to spin
(JKM) Juke Move - Players ability with the juke move
(IBK) Impact Blocking - Blockers ability to make a leveling block in the open field
(RBK-STR) Run block strength - how well a player can succeed in locking up a defender while run blocking
(RBK-FT) Run block footwork - how well a player can succeed in pushing a defender while run blocking. Scales the speed of initial moves at the snap.
(PBK-STR) Pass block strength - how well a player performs when the defender is performing power moves against him
(PBK-FT) Pass block footwork - how well a player performs when the defender is performing finesse moves against him. Scales the speed of initial moves at the snap
(POW) Hit Power - The strength of the players hit, which can determine the success of a tackle or the possibility of a fumble, and ability to wear out or injure a player being hit
(PMV) Power Moves - The ability to bull rush, chuck and/or overpower a block
(FIN) Finesse Moves - The ability to perform swim moves and spins moves against a block
(BKS) Block Shedding - How well the player can shed a block.
(PUR) Pursuit - Skill in finding and pursuing the ball carrier and ability to take a direct line of pursuit on a quarterback or ball carrier
(PRC) Play Recognition - The ability to recognize plays
(MAN) Man Coverage - Man coverage skills
(ZONE) Zone Coverage - Zone coverage skills
(SPCTH) Spectacular Catch - Abilty to make spectacular catches such as one handed catches
(CIT) Catch in Traffic - Ability to catch when in coverage or surrounded by defenders
(RTE) Route Running Rating - ability to execute routes and cuts and the speed to execute routes and cuts
(PRESS) Press Rating - ability to maintain a press coverage around the line of scrimmage
(RELEASE) Release Rating - Ability to get around or beat press coverage
(SWG) Old Spice Swagger - The chance that a player will celebrate in the endzone

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »