Home

Would you play this Madden?

This is a discussion on Would you play this Madden? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Would you play this game?
Yes, heck, I'd even try both "Classic" AND "Coach/GM" disc. 53 70.67%
Yes, but "Classic" disc only. 7 9.33%
Yes, but "Coach/GM" disc only. 11 14.67%
No, I would not play this game, not in a house, not with a mouse. 4 5.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Would you play this Madden?

i wish the 2 "no" voters would post why they won't play? is it a matter of losing faith in ea and never playing a madden again or is it something about the concepts or is it being a troll ? seriously though, would like to hear from all sides.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2012, 03:12 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloeyEZ
1000+ views but only 40 votes?
If everyone is like me, they opened the thread up saw that the first post was only slightly shorter than War and Peace and ran away because we have families to take care of. I mean, my oldest daughter's heading to college in 6 years, for God's sake.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Putting 2 discs in a game doesn't double the price. At the most it would be an $89 price but it would not be unreasonable to keep the ~$60 price either..
Since when did companies focused on profits ever do anything 'reasonable?'
Old 11-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #28
MVP

Small surge in voting...nice. Consider it practice for Tuesday

Now 4 people who would not play this game. I really wish I knew why :\ and more importantly what they would play?
Old 11-04-2012, 03:04 AM   #29
MVP

Addendum No. 01 (I like sounding official. I also promise this is not quite as long....only War, not Peace)

Physics & Football AI Before the PS3 came out, I remember reading (yes giddy as a school girl) about how the PS3 would be able to compute flow mechanics and physics so programmers would not have to program where every bullet hole lands, or where the blood of a spilled victim travels, or how the pieces of a crumbling wall land. At that time, I did not in any way, shape, or form relate this to football but still thought it was the most awesome, incredible, news I had ever heard for my gaming career.

Football, is very simply three fundamentals; 1) If you do not have the football, get to the football as quickly as possible. 2) If you do not have the football, prevent the person closest to you from getting the football. 3) If you have the football, get it to the End Zone as quickly as possible. Simply put, that is football.
Now combine the two. First, remember, I have no working knowledge of how to program a game or if what I say is complete ignorance in that respect, but I do know football and I do understand that a computer needs simple yes or no questions to answer, step by step. It's like that assignment every speech student has to do in the beginning of the semester, write a speech on how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in exact detail step by step--place left foot forward 12 inches...place right foot forward 24 inches...extend arm out to grasp refrigerator handle...and so on (you get the picture). Back to our fundamentals of football: given that you can have objects in PS3 language be aware of other objects (object collision and avoidance) it seems to me, in my ignorance, that using the fundamentals of football, it should replicate true football AI if broken down to a step by step actualization of these fundamentals.

Program player CB to A) stay as close to object WR at all times B) Keep self between object WR and Object Ball at all times C) If object Ball movement detected, Intercept Object Ball Path (literally and figuratively), ** yes I know I am horribly oversimplifying here. Program player WR to A) follow prescribed "route" as quickly as possible while avoiding object CB. B) Maintain clear path between Self and Object Ball {this could be done by varying speed or slight deviations in "route" and remember, success/fail at obtaining these goals would be based on attributes} C) If object Ball movement detected, Intercept Object Ball Path.

Now to the all-important line play. It seems to follow, again from my point of ignorance, that if you have the Object DL that is trying to intercept Object Ball Path as quickly as possible, and you have Object OL that is trying to keep Self between Object DL and Object Ball at all times, and you have Object Collision physics, then the dance of run or pass blocking and defensive rushing should play out (given the physics that objects are supposed to be able to possess on PS3) realistically. Same with RB running the ball, i.e. take most direct route to End Zone Object with DL Object Avoidance. I mean a bullet may not be able to avoid a wall in its path, but wouldn't flow mechanics make a fluid go around an object, let's say a pole and flow around it?

That would be the fundamentals of game play for AI in a football game. If you take care of programming the goals of each player, then there should be a realistic simulation playing out before your eyes. Similar to the old vibrating electric football games where the plastic pieces vibrated except with a computer, you can actually give the players goals to propel their movement with a direction. Now add "play goals" to these individual battles such as RB take most direct route keeping Object RT between Self and Object LE until 2nd level and then step to next level of coding to avoid object LB and so on.

Would this work? I know I have really oversimplified and shown my ignorance when it comes to programming a football game, but is this an invalid, implausible, inefficient, perspective?
Programmers & forum readers with coding experience, what say ye?

Old 11-04-2012, 05:21 AM   #30
Rookie

CaptainJ's Arena

OVR: 0

I would like to be the first to pre-order this game. Seriously.
I, also, was eager to read that huge wall of text.
Suggestions:
Advertise on kickstarter.com
Allow people to invest- you won't lose money if your game fails
Advertise on every forum possible- I'm sure it won't be spam if there's a right category

Last edited by CaptainJ; 11-04-2012 at 05:27 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #31
MVP

64 votes now...100?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Addendum No. 01 (I like sounding official. I also promise this is not quite as long....only War, not Peace)

Physics & Football AI Before the PS3 came out, I remember reading (yes giddy as a school girl) about how the PS3 would be able to compute flow mechanics and physics so programmers would not have to program where every bullet hole lands, or where the blood of a spilled victim travels, or how the pieces of a crumbling wall land. At that time, I did not in any way, shape, or form relate this to football but still thought it was the most awesome, incredible, news I had ever heard for my gaming career.

Football, is very simply three fundamentals; 1) If you do not have the football, get to the football as quickly as possible. 2) If you do not have the football, prevent the person closest to you from getting the football. 3) If you have the football, get it to the End Zone as quickly as possible. Simply put, that is football.
Now combine the two. First, remember, I have no working knowledge of how to program a game or if what I say is complete ignorance in that respect, but I do know football and I do understand that a computer needs simple yes or no questions to answer, step by step. It's like that assignment every speech student has to do in the beginning of the semester, write a speech on how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in exact detail step by step--place left foot forward 12 inches...place right foot forward 24 inches...extend arm out to grasp refrigerator handle...and so on (you get the picture). Back to our fundamentals of football: given that you can have objects in PS3 language be aware of other objects (object collision and avoidance) it seems to me, in my ignorance, that using the fundamentals of football, it should replicate true football AI if broken down to a step by step actualization of these fundamentals.

Program player CB to A) stay as close to object WR at all times B) Keep self between object WR and Object Ball at all times C) If object Ball movement detected, Intercept Object Ball Path (literally and figuratively), ** yes I know I am horribly oversimplifying here. Program player WR to A) follow prescribed "route" as quickly as possible while avoiding object CB. B) Maintain clear path between Self and Object Ball {this could be done by varying speed or slight deviations in "route" and remember, success/fail at obtaining these goals would be based on attributes} C) If object Ball movement detected, Intercept Object Ball Path.

Now to the all-important line play. It seems to follow, again from my point of ignorance, that if you have the Object DL that is trying to intercept Object Ball Path as quickly as possible, and you have Object OL that is trying to keep Self between Object DL and Object Ball at all times, and you have Object Collision physics, then the dance of run or pass blocking and defensive rushing should play out (given the physics that objects are supposed to be able to possess on PS3) realistically. Same with RB running the ball, i.e. take most direct route to End Zone Object with DL Object Avoidance. I mean a bullet may not be able to avoid a wall in its path, but wouldn't flow mechanics make a fluid go around an object, let's say a pole and flow around it?

That would be the fundamentals of game play for AI in a football game. If you take care of programming the goals of each player, then there should be a realistic simulation playing out before your eyes. Similar to the old vibrating electric football games where the plastic pieces vibrated except with a computer, you can actually give the players goals to propel their movement with a direction. Now add "play goals" to these individual battles such as RB take most direct route keeping Object RT between Self and Object LE until 2nd level and then step to next level of coding to avoid object LB and so on.

Would this work? I know I have really oversimplified and shown my ignorance when it comes to programming a football game, but is this an invalid, implausible, inefficient, perspective?
Programmers & forum readers with coding experience, what say ye?

In terms of programming, sort of.

One of Programming's main goals is to suit to the user. You have to get in their head, so you have to have boundaries to restrict access.

For example, you can't have a level 102 player so the max value has to be 99 and you have to set a min value (can't have value of 1)

Same thing is when someone is filling out a pizza order online. If restaurant only has 7 toppings available, have to set max value at 7 or program would fail.

Now back to football, you also have to have progressions when coding.

For CPU QB, set a loop every time ball js hiked and program it to throw to WR1 if open, else if WR2 is open, else if WR3 is open, else throw it away OR force it.

It's not simple to say the least, and you have to create a class for almost every object that you want to be moving or used (field, ball, players, weather, etc)

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Teams: Eagles, Phillies, Sixers

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »