Home

Hard to let go, or excited for a new start?

This is a discussion on Hard to let go, or excited for a new start? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
Banned

MaddenSaints's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Hard to let go, or excited for a new start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBrayden
Like I said, when it comes down to a Falcons vs Panthers game, I'm rooting for the Falcons.
Now there is a third team on the list? And 2 college teams. Wow, bit of a glory supporter.

Last edited by MaddenSaints; 10-30-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #10
Banned

Cre8's Arena

OVR: 9

I let go of my second round pick Leon McOwen last night. He dropped 20+ passes over the course of 1.5 years and it was time to cut bait and move on. It was hard to do because he has 96 SPD, but if you can't catch in my offense you are gone.

I like to keep a lot of my players around because I like them in 'real life' but it is even harder when you start growing a player into a superstar and have to start thinking about financials and the direction of your team.

I am changing the Browns into a Balanced Offense and I know that Joe Thomas is going to be on my chopping block soon just because he hasn't been performing like I need him to... that will be a tough move, but hopefully I can get a lot for him.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre8
I let go of my second round pick Leon McOwen last night. He dropped 20+ passes over the course of 1.5 years and it was time to cut bait and move on. It was hard to do because he has 96 SPD, but if you can't catch in my offense you are gone.

I like to keep a lot of my players around because I like them in 'real life' but it is even harder when you start growing a player into a superstar and have to start thinking about financials and the direction of your team.

I am changing the Browns into a Balanced Offense and I know that Joe Thomas is going to be on my chopping block soon just because he hasn't been performing like I need him to... that will be a tough move, but hopefully I can get a lot for him.
Man, I hear you about Joe Thomas. In the Browns CCM I use from time to time, he just doesn't flatten folks in the running game like I want. Richardson is a monster in terms of fighting for tough yards, but I wanted to be able to run behind Thomas and count on him moving bodies. It just wasn't happening.

And those receivers are the pits. I think I had a receiver drop 3 balls a game every game of the season.

If you all will indulge me here, what are your upper limits on salaries for each position?

Cre8, it sounds like you think about money matters well. How do you budget out your salary? I have been away from the game for several years while doing grad school, and now that I've come back it seems like players are making double what they were last time I was watching the game.

Like in my Ravens one Flacco wants an average of 15.5/yr, which means that by the end of his deal he'll be making 23. That just sounds weird to me.

I'm more used to the idea of QBs making 5-7 if they're good and 10 if they're great, but those days seem to be gone.

So what's the cutoff point for y'all?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #12
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

Cool Re: Hard to let go, or excited for a new start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP

And those receivers are the pits. I think I had a receiver drop 3 balls a game every game of the season.

I have Cleveland in an online CCM and I actually start Massaquoi and Benjamin. Seemed like Cribbs and Little just dropped everything. I've upped CTH and CIT on Mass and Benjamin now and they are pretty solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide
Old 10-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #13
Banned

MaddenSaints's Arena

Played my 5th game of my Redskins franchise, year 1 game 5. Now 3-2. Won the Falcons 13-24. My D played great only letting a TD with the final 2 mins of the game left.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #14
Rookie

ZoeK35's Arena

OVR: 1

I like to make my footprint on the team, so when I know a guy is getting old on the roster and has only a few years left on his contract I draft his replacement. That if a guy asks for to much money than what I think he is worth in the game. After my first season with the Bears Tim Jennings wanted 5 million a year, a little to pricey for me. I let him go and drafted a replacement who will hopefully will be ready next year. I take a better appreciation when I win and especially the Super Bowl if 80 percent of the roster are guys that I brought in vs. winning with a roster full of the guys on the team in real life.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #15
Banned

californ14's Arena

OVR: 6

I prefer to tear stuff down and rebuild....I do not use the Packers except in Play Now....I go for teams that need building and which have players I am not familiar with, so letting them go to change the team is not an issue....The Dolphins and Browns make my list of teams I tend to use....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #16
Banned

Cre8's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP
If you all will indulge me here, what are your upper limits on salaries for each position?
QB - I am looking at finding a potential Franchise QB after proving himself during his rookie contract (6/7yrs, $85-90 million +Bonus)
HB - This seems to be the one position that is kinda expendable to me. I am running with TRich right now but I don't usually keep a HB over the age of 30. I will sign them to a 3-5 year deal after their rookie contract for around $25-28 million +Bonus)
WR - The largest turnover on my team is this position. Unless you find someone like Calvin Johnson, I would say pay them around $2 to 4 million a year if they are solid. Outside of that, you can usually find a great WR as a Free Agent that you can plug in.
TE - This really depends on your approach. I don't throw to my TE very much because I run a lot of 4 WR sets or run with TRich. I don't spend more than $1.5 per year really. I may start switching to a lesser passing attack so I can level up TRich a bit more.
OL - One of the most confusing positions in Madden (outside of DL) because it seems like blocking is so random. You can often have a guy playing OL for an entire season as a sub and not even realize it if you don't check the injury report. DON'T OVER-PAY FOR LINEMEN!
DL - Read Above
LBs - This position is important to me because I often play with the MLB when controlling the defense. I would say this is something to put around $4-5 million/yr into for a MLB and less towards OLBs depending on what you need from them.
CB - Level them up and invest in them. I am never going to let go of Joe Haden. Right now I am paying him something like 6yrs/$85 million. I am looking for another CB to compliment him, but I won't pay as much, maybe something like $4-6 million a year.
S - Not as important as a CB, look for someone that does what you need. I like big hitters with good tackling and decent Zone Defense. $1.5-3 million per year unless they are absolute top tier game changers.
K/P - Get someone with high KPW and give them what they want. lol... it is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP
Cre8, it sounds like you think about money matters well. How do you budget out your salary?
I tend to give big money to my top performers. I will let someone go into Free Agency if they underperform for me (even with a great OVR). The other thing is investing in youth. Take a chance on some cheap free agents and see if they develop.

Build through the draft and find steals. Once you develop them into a decent player you should cash in and trade them during the final year of their contract. This will be relatively cheap and allow you to get players you need or draft picks that you can use for players or as 'currency'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP
Like in my Ravens one Flacco wants an average of 15.5/yr, which means that by the end of his deal he'll be making 23. That just sounds weird to me.

I'm more used to the idea of QBs making 5-7 if they're good and 10 if they're great, but those days seem to be gone.

So what's the cutoff point for y'all?
QBs are the one position you should invest in if you really want to keep someone. I don't personally see Flacco as someone I can't win without, but maybe he is to you. I will be trying to keep my QB around for the long term because I drafted him and have seen some amazing potential.

Be careful where you put your money in players.

FINANCES
Cleveland Browns
Financial Summary

Salary Cap $130.02 Million
Team Spending -$99.94 Million

Free Space = $30.08 Million

77%

------------------------------------------
I currently have two 1st Rd Picks this off-season and something along the line of three 3rd Rd Picks with all others intact.

I will always trade down if I don't love what is available.

Always use the scouting function and look for players in the later rounds that will be great for you (potentially) and invest in building them over 3.5 years and then decide on whether to re-sign, release or trade them.

Hope that helps.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »