Home

Teams releasing star players and other strange stories

This is a discussion on Teams releasing star players and other strange stories within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #73
Rookie

nolan887's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Teams releasing star players and other strange stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV2k3
He was tempting at 680k, but not worth the drop induced headaches (no matter how I tired to improve his CTH rating though XP, he still was "less than")...
Could have always re-signed him and put him back on the chopping block, maybe you can take all of seattle's picks haha! I've seen some things happen similar to that before, as well as players that are higher rated in my scheme as compared to other teams. I missed out on a monster blocking FB in the draft, but he wound up getting cut and was an 82 OVR in my scheme.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #74
ssc
Rookie

ssc's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncsoulja
Saw the same thing here.

Luckily I was able to pick up Suh in FA. This was post patch so I was able to change his player scheme to "kicks qb in nuts."

I just read the whole thread and, in reference to the actual thread at hand, IMO there is too much dogmatic "certainties" here for both arguments. To give my honest opinion, I like seeing the bizarre and incredible things happen in Madden. It makes things interesting and my CCMs have been wildly varying in terms of the odd things that do/don't happen. The game is what you make it. I've had years where very little FA excitement happens until players have become older and have been replaced by younger talent.

OR, this current Panthers CCM I've headed, I saw Brent Grimes and Aqib Talib both FAs in this off-season (Year 2.) Signed both of them to complement Chris Gamble. Not too shabby.

I do feel bad for those who don't enjoy these types of things unfolding but, if it's that big of a deal I suppose it'd be best to just restart and try again. Again, I've had numerous CCMs that never saw RGIII, Ryan, or Luck turn to Free Agency so sometimes it's just luck of the draw.

Good thread though.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #75
Pro

OVR: 6

It's the time warp factor that plays into it as well. Some people play years and years into their CCM in short order and when it's time to release some fabled star it doesn't sit well. We still see that person as a star in current times, not what this person may become a year or ten down the road. Things change, but without the benefit of actual time (not to mention outside factors that the AI cannot replicate in detail) to absorb what has transpired it can be a bit hard to swallow.

The other factor - and this is what makes football so great - is everything is debatable. Talent levels, schemes, packages, starters, that 3rd down call, that PI call,etc,etc,etc. All things that can been seen a handful of different ways by individuals.

For example, earlier in the thread some people spoke of how Matt Ryan would never be released to FA. Really? I think "Matty Ice" (or "Matty No Dice" - as I like to call him) is horrible. I wouldn't sign him to wash my team's jocks, let alone play QB. But this is merely my opinion and everyone has their own.

Anyone see the Eagles releasing Jason Babin to FA? I didn't.

Sure there are always going to be some questionable moves by the CPU. It is far from perfect, but most of the things aren't too far out of the realm. Perhaps the AI is designed to make some surprise moves that aren't purely ratings based, but does not have the depth to support the back story (ala Bounty Gate, etc).A review of recent NFL history would reveal a plethora of surprise moves that have long since been forgotten and no one saw coming.

Anyway, I am far from an EA fan boy and will never defend this game's shortcomings, but sometimes a little perspective is in order. Meanwhile, just roll with it people. There are, after all, bigger and more concrete issues to remedy with regard to this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2012, 03:18 AM   #76
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturzinator
Anyone see the Eagles releasing Jason Babin to FA? I didn't.
I did.

I have been closely paying attention to the Eagles season and he was the first player I would have cut. Babin broke the one cardinal rule of playing in an Eagles uniform: don't talk poorly about the fan base.

He basically asked to be cut the second he said anything negative about the fans (in regards to some less than nice chants being thrown about). Philadelphia doesn't care, "You're a pass rusher so how about you stop running your mouth and start sacking the quarterback like last year?" is exactly what every Eagles fan is thinking at this point in the season.

Consider this, the Eagles had an opportunity to select Jason Pierre-Paul in the 2010 NFL draft and instead selected Brandon Graham (a clear bust). Babin was a band-aid attempt at masking a horrible draft selection and he didn't end up panning out in the wide-9 defense that was basically implemented solely because he was there. He may have recorded a stellar 18 sacks in 2011, but 2012 was a far cry from that with only 5.5 sack recorded in 11 games. He's only had one other season with over 5 sacks (2010 with 12.5) and he was being paid $5-6 million per year, not something Philadelphia intended to keep paying.

I honestly think most Philadelphia fans are glad to see him go.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #77
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jones
Entering year 4 of my CCM, this is honest to God the free agent WR class:

Roddy White
AJ Green
Dez Bryant
Torrey Smith
Jordy Nelson
Michael Crabtree
Not to say Madden doesn't have blatant problems with how the CPU manages personnel, but I can see all but one of these guys hitting FA.

Roddy White is getting old and the Falcons have Julio to be their #1.

Dez Bryant just isn't very good, the Cowboys might want to move on and Dez's reputation might command him a bigger payday than his production warrants.

Torrey Smith is an on/off type guy who is more speed than WR ability, might command more money than his talent warrants if he can put up numbers. He's simply not a legit #1.

Nelson and Crabtree are both so-so talents, Nelson benefits from a high octane passing offense, and Crabtree simply isn't a guy worth overpaying.

AJ Green, though, would be franchise tagged without a doubt. No smart team ever lets that guy walk. He's a bigger talent than anyone else listed by quite a bit.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #78
Rookie

OVR: 4

For me the unpredictability of FA in M13 is one of the better aspects of the game.
As others have pointed out there have been many free agent surprises in the NFL over the years and the often forgotten stories behind them is part of what makes the game so popular.

An interesting scenario recently took place in my Steelers CCM.
After winning his 3rd Superbowl against the Peyton Manning led Bronco's, Giants head coach Tom Coughlin retired and was replaced by outgoing Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis.
Lewis's first season as Giants HC was uneventful with the Giants making the playoffs as expected. The following off season saw Eli Manning retire leaving the Giants without an elite QB to lead there high octane aerial attack.
During the previous season the cap strapped Bengals are not able to resign A.J. Green or Andy Dalton do to the fact that they spent quite a bit of money building themselves into a playoff contender. Additionally the Bengals had drafted a high upside rookie QB from Boise State in the previous draft as if they were anticipating the possibility of losing Dalton.

As you have probably already guessed the Marvin Lewis led Giants signed not only Dalton but A.J. Green as well!!!

Unrealistic?....Maybe due to restricted free agency, which we don't have in M13.
But the fact remains that the Bengals in my CCM are truly cash strapped with only 2.6 million of cap left which, short of a number of players restructuring contracts, would make even restricted free agency a long shot.

Imagine the real NFL storylines that would result if Andy Dalton and A.J. Green were to each choose to sign with the same team in the same year?
I think the real life possibility of Dalton and Green winding up on the Giants or any other NFL team in the near future is remote but not completely out of the question.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #79
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Nowhere the same caliber, but it reminded me when I cut Curry from my Raiders franchise, and then the real Raiders cut him that same day lol.

I understand, though. There's moves I've made that I wonder if the real team (or a real team) would, and some I'm tempted to make, but don't think the real team would (like trade for Alfred Morris, why would Washington give him up?)

Part of me just wants to embrace the fantasy aspect without being cheap/ripping off the other teams, but I don't want to get TOO crazy (like trading for RG III or Trent Richardson, etc...even if I threw 2 1sts and a 2nd or something, I just can't see those guys being traded right now (just started 2nd year so still close to modern ability)
Old 12-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #80
Rookie

OVR: 0

Last season I tried trading two first round picks and a 2nd for Patrick Peterson, no dice. At the end of the season I go into FA and sure enough there is Patrick Peterson, along with Clay Matthews. My starting corners are now Patrick Peterson and Antonio Cromartie, it is just sick.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »