Home

Teams releasing star players and other strange stories

This is a discussion on Teams releasing star players and other strange stories within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #17
Rookie

steelsnarf's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Teams releasing star players and other strange stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksheets
Yeah, "schemes" are a good idea, but they aren't being implemented perfectly, and in cases like this, it's a bit of nonsense.

I can see a guy like Aso hitting FA as a cap casualty, but when it comes to say Suh or Miller, these are guys that any system can work with simply because of their talent level. I'd like to see top notch 4-3 DEs get a shot at OLB if a coach that runs a 3-4 takes over, or for the ratings to make it clear to the AI that a guy like Suh is going to be worth using in just about any system. Miller makes the least amount of sense considering he can absolutely play DE and OLB.

Hopefully they can keep improving schemes and building on it rather than scrapping it, and this would be a big step forward.

If a star player is going to get released for scheme issues or for the cap, it should be a storyline and commented on a lot by the twitter dudes. I would also like some of these really bold decisions where a franchise level player is cut to maybe put more pressure on the coach that makes that decision, ie make it easier to get on the hot seat or fired.
I just checked my CCM and Kansas City picked him up. I really don't know how that would work considering he's not a nose tackle. Unless they switched coaches it doesn't make much sense.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksheets
Yeah, "schemes" are a good idea, but they aren't being implemented perfectly, and in cases like this, it's a bit of nonsense.

I can see a guy like Aso hitting FA as a cap casualty, but when it comes to say Suh or Miller, these are guys that any system can work with simply because of their talent level. I'd like to see top notch 4-3 DEs get a shot at OLB if a coach that runs a 3-4 takes over, or for the ratings to make it clear to the AI that a guy like Suh is going to be worth using in just about any system. Miller makes the least amount of sense considering he can absolutely play DE and OLB.

Hopefully they can keep improving schemes and building on it rather than scrapping it, and this would be a big step forward.

If a star player is going to get released for scheme issues or for the cap, it should be a storyline and commented on a lot by the twitter dudes. I would also like some of these really bold decisions where a franchise level player is cut to maybe put more pressure on the coach that makes that decision, ie make it easier to get on the hot seat or fired.
Again, can someone verify if his contract was up? It may have been Suh's decision not to play for the Lions any more.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #19
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelsnarf
I just checked my CCM and Kansas City picked him up. I really don't know how that would work considering he's not a nose tackle. Unless they switched coaches it doesn't make much sense.
Okay but that sorta proves the point that a team will pick up a player who doesn't fit their scheme just because of their talent. This to me seems to indicate the game considers both talent and scheme... I think you just called this good AI without meaning too
Old 11-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #20
Banned

Drtro's Arena

OVR: 6

I find it reasonable for teams to release old players for a rookie even if they have a 90 rating or whatever. Only thing that frustrates me is seeing Matt Ryan in the FA after the first/second year.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #21
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drtro
I find it reasonable for teams to release old players for a rookie even if they have a 90 rating or whatever. Only thing that frustrates me is seeing Matt Ryan in the FA after the first/second year.
If I took over the Falcons, first thing I would do is get a new stud RB and dump (well, okay, I wouldn't dump I'd try and get some 1st rounders for him but if no one would trade then) him.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Ryan, Flacco, Alex Smith, Weeden, and others and if I took over their team, would not have any problem getting rid of these "star" players. Just from the things I'm hearing in this thread, sounds like the AI is doing things pretty unusual, arbitrary, and thus, life-like.

There are repetitive, scripted events, don't get me wrong, and I don't like them, like Shockey being signed by Raiders, Farrior to Carolina, but like I said, the evidence in this thread alone seems to point to a pretty fluid AI.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #22
MVP

Champion8877's Arena

OVR: 14

In my CCM both Percy Harvin and Suh got released by their teams. So I just made up a story in my head that Suh stomped on another player again and had too many unsportsmanlike plays and the Lions got fed up with him. And Percy got more migraines and couldn't stay on the field. It isn't uncommon to see some big name players being cut, traded, or not resigned. But some things are unrealistic. Like Matt Ryan entering free agency and not resigning with ATL, I doubt that would ever happen.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #23
Rookie

steelsnarf's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloeyEZ
Okay but that sorta proves the point that a team will pick up a player who doesn't fit their scheme just because of their talent. This to me seems to indicate the game considers both talent and scheme... I think you just called this good AI without meaning too

Touche good sir, touche.

Then again the Chiefs went 4-12 and had the first draft pick so chances are they did in fact get a new coach. I could be wrong though.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #24
Banned

Drtro's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloeyEZ
If I took over the Falcons, first thing I would do is get a new stud RB and dump (well, okay, I wouldn't dump I'd try and get some 1st rounders for him but if no one would trade then) him.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Ryan, Flacco, Alex Smith, Weeden, and others and if I took over their team, would not have any problem getting rid of these "star" players. Just from the things I'm hearing in this thread, sounds like the AI is doing things pretty unusual, arbitrary, and thus, life-like.

There are repetitive, scripted events, don't get me wrong, and I don't like them, like Shockey being signed by Raiders, Farrior to Carolina, but like I said, the evidence in this thread alone seems to point to a pretty fluid AI.
I don't see why anyone would trade Ryan unless you're a cheeser trading players for 1st rounders...

If I wanted to start a CCM with a team I want a new QB, I'd go with the Broncos, Saints, Cardinals, Jaguars, or Jets.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »