Home

Playcalling in Madden NFL 13

This is a discussion on Playcalling in Madden NFL 13 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #57
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Playcalling in Madden NFL 13

Another thing that this issue has seemed to expose is just how much the CPU QB decision making and CPU play execution need work, mainly in the passing game. If their receivers are open, things usually work out just fine, but if they're covered things go awry. Very rarely do they execute screens properly. Receivers often don't continue to try to get open once their route has been run and the CPU still likes too often to throw streaks downfield into multiple DB coverage.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #58
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
Another thing that this issue has seemed to expose is just how much the CPU QB decision making and CPU play execution need work, mainly in the passing game. If their receivers are open, things usually work out just fine, but if they're covered things go awry. Very rarely do they execute screens properly. Receivers often don't continue to try to get open once their route has been run and the CPU still likes too often to throw streaks downfield into multiple DB coverage.
I find that if you don't have CTH set at 53 / 54, they run dumb routes, fail to create separation and the QB goes into "checkdown" mode...

I have QB ACC at 51 / RBK 53 / CTH 53 and that seem to knock the "dumb" out of them...

Roethlisberger threw for 477 and a near perfect QBR against me on those settings...
Old 11-16-2012, 01:16 AM   #59
Banned

D_Fos's Arena

OVR: 0

Its not JUST the Playcalling.
Its the execution and adaptation of the A.I. thats, for the lack of a better word, lackluster.

I played the Eagles, gave them the Panthers PB and 4-3 Defense and they.
A. Executed very well
B. I felt like they adapted(ex. early in the game I was getting BIG yds w/ the Triple Option and then time it came to the fourth qtr I went back to the same play that I gained apx 120yds rushing already, and they seemed to read and TAKE my option, the DE caught it n stride and ran it back for the TD)
C. I saw the CPU use a wide range of plays on offense and defense.

Shady Mccoy finished w/ 32atts. 272yds rushing( @ LArringtonEA says " L. McCoy was running wild all game, racking up 272yds rushing, good for 7th best on the All time list! ")
M. Vick finished w/ a perfect Qb rating! 158.3!

This was the best, most realistic A.I. I've EVER witnessed.
Some variables that also play into the "house of cards".

1. It was a division game.
Both teams w/ equal records

2. Mccoy and Vick got Hot early(they may have come in hot)

3. They were NOT using there Default PB on O or D and seemed to use a wide range of run plays. Vick was Sick! He runs the Panthers PB better than the Eagles default! Hahaaa

and last but not least the Sliders/Settings used for this testing.
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...3-realism.html

Both teams User vs Cpu had similar btk stats

apx. 4-6 on both sides
Mccoy w/ the game high 4btks.

I had 4-5 drops, they had less.

Sacks, they Had 2 to my 1.

Penalties both sides w/ 3-4 each.

Overall it was an edge of your seat kind of game, and they got me!

41-38 Eagles(cpu) prevail over my Skins.

I've always wanted a good challenge from the CPU and they produced it!

Next up!
My Skins(6-4) @ Dallas(6-4)
Injuries: my team has M. Williams, B. Banks, Moss, and Kerrigan out, this is what backups are for lol.
Dallas has 0 injuries.
As the season rolls!

Last edited by D_Fos; 11-16-2012 at 02:01 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #60
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV2k3
I have QB ACC at 51 / RBK 53 / CTH 53 and that seem to knock the "dumb" out of them...

Roethlisberger threw for 477 and a near perfect QBR against me on those settings...
I've raised the cpu QB acc, pass block and catch and I still see dumb. We really need a QB awareness slider and a pass coverage slider that works. All-Pro is too easy this year and it's really because the cpu passing game is poor. They don't get enough yards and certainly not enough passing TDs in this game. I'm about to try going to All-Madden because despite my mediocre play the cpu offense just doesn't score enough points imo. The big question for me is if my offense can compete on that level. Roles get reversed on the big boy level.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #61
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I've raised the cpu QB acc, pass block and catch and I still see dumb. We really need a QB awareness slider and a pass coverage slider that works. All-Pro is too easy this year and it's really because the cpu passing game is poor. They don't get enough yards and certainly not enough passing TDs in this game. I'm about to try going to All-Madden because despite my mediocre play the cpu offense just doesn't score enough points imo. The big question for me is if my offense can compete on that level. Roles get reversed on the big boy level.
I agree that a AWR slider and a functioning PRC slider would do a lot for the gameplay, but it's interesting how results vary from USER to USER...

This is the first year I've gotten then CPU QB to light me up regularly...

Sure the sub 80 OVR guys will have poor games, but the rest display some of the best QB play I've seen in Madden to date...

I have been mumbling two phrases for a week:

"Can't stop ANYBODY"

And:

"When it's third down, it's FIRST down"

Anyway:

Lots of moving parts here...HC Prestige / Personnel / Sliders / Settings will all affect...

Still, to the OP's post...

It's still the gameplan / start system that's the playcalling culprit...

Wonder if / when he's dropping back in with feedback on what we pointed out, so many posts ago...

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #62
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV2k3

Still, to the OP's post...

It's still the gameplan / start system that's the playcalling culprit...

Wonder if / when he's dropping back in with feedback on what we pointed out, so many posts ago...

Yeah I can't wait to hear what Emmo has to say about the comments in this thread and is EA looking to patch or tune this issue..
Old 11-17-2012, 05:00 AM   #63
Lurking

kongemeier's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarodd21
Yeah I can't wait to hear what Emmo has to say about the comments in this thread and is EA looking to patch or tune this issue..
My bet is that they're looking into it
#SimWorldSports #SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 11-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #64
MVP

OVR: 9

Not following the form because it's irrelevant. Situation explains it better.

In online CCM (3 team league), I am the Bucs, I was playing the 10 - 1 Broncos, with Peyton Manning at the helm.

I won 3 - 0.

Manning threw 6 passes in the first half, 3 passes in the second half. In all, his line was 3 for 9 for 17 yards. Willis McGahee ran the ball 24 times for -4 yards.

The worst was on the final drive, I punt off to Denver and they have the ball at their own 8 yard line with 3 minutes left (3 time outs). Manning, the king of the two minute drill. Denver calls a run on first down; Denver calls a run on second down. This drains the game clock to the two minute warning. 3rd down is a sack. Denver punts, I run out the clock.

The random "3rd and 15 draw" doesn't bother me and that's not even the problem. The problem -- like all other posters have said -- is running the ball +/- 100% of the time on first and second down. The issue truly comes out when it's a close game, like my 3 - 0 game against Denver. IF you have a sizeable lead, the CPU will pass (in my experience and only if it's a 20+ lead in the 3rd or 4th quarter will they pass), but if the game is close their gameplan does not change, so when I had that 3 - 0 game, all they did was run the ball, on almost every down. I had to put the game down for a week because it was near pointless to play.

For what it's worth, NCAA Football has a pretty good play calling method this year. Not perfect, but they play aggressive, teams play with a distinct style, and the CPU play calling mixes it up from time to time.

The Denver game was the most predictable boring play calling in any game that I had probably ever played in Madden, and I deduced that Madden '13 has the worst CPU play calling ever in any Madden game -- period. This is not hyperbole, I've owned them all since 1994 and there has never been worse play calling in a Madden game than this one. I'm not a Madden critic or anything either, I generally like the games (hence why I buy them), and I was also a former EA community leader back in the olden days before the 2005/2006 reorg.

Since that game I have started putting together a Google Spreadsheet with play calling scenarios, analyzing play calling on 1st/2nd/3rd down. I will share the results when I have more data, but if you can control for blowout scenarios (25+ points, ~1 quarter left), the CPU runs the ball nearly 100% of the time on 1st and 2nd down. Truth be told, that when the CPU is down 30+ points late in the game, the CPU play calling is great, much more aggressive, and a reasonable amount of passes on more unique plays. But in any other scenario, of course, the passing game is pretty much non-existent. As a joke, making it all worse, you have the blasted announcer with his 3 or 4 recorded lines talking about how nobody runs the ball in the NFL anymore and how it's always "pass pass pass" but "the power run game keeps the offensive line aggressive." Makes me cringe when I hear it, after Willis McGahee carries the ball 25 times for negative total yardage.

Last edited by Rebel10; 11-17-2012 at 12:03 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »