Home

Any point to a power back?

This is a discussion on Any point to a power back? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Any point to a power back?

I have had alot of success with players such as Lamaar miller, Stephans-howling, CJ cpiller, Lamicheal james.....SPEED backs.

However i have had trouble with RBs like Lynch and Trent Rich.

I mean Rich isnt slow but it seems to me what power backs do best-running through arm tackles and falling forward are not represented in this game.

I just traded for Richardson in my bengals online CCM because i wanted to change it up and use a power back for once and he seems to be the fastest haha. However like i stated before I am constantly getting tackled by Defensive players shedding their block at the last second and arm tackling me. Also he gets stood up by corners and safeties on a regular basis. all forward momentum is stopped in its tracks and i get no yards after contact. espcially on 3rd and 4th and short i feel.

It is already difficult to run inside since u get tackled by your own linemen Sanchez style half the time so is there really any point to not use a speed back and break everything outside? I also feel like Elusive backs break the same amount of tackles just from jukes and slipping out of tackles but are more agile and recover quicker to keep running.

Big plays-speed>power
Broken tackles-speed=power
forward momentum- both get stuffed.
catching-Speed>power

I could have sent the same package to the chiefs for Charles but like i said i wanted to change it up. beggining to regret it!
Anybody got any tips or feedback.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Any point to a power back?

Also does anybody know how to trigger the Trucking animation? i think it is just hold forward on right stick right?
Old 12-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
ssc
Rookie

ssc's Arena

OVR: 1

Nice screen name, haha.

I've had good success with power backs, but I don't ask them to do too much. I run them situationally only, and many times out of a fullback position. I would recommend not running (obviously) pitches and tosses, or even most zone runs. Run dives and slams for the most part for them.

I've found the best success with triggering the forward motion by jamming the stick forward repeatedly, not holding it.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

The only power back I've ever really had problems with is Steven Jackson.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
All Star

azdawgpound's Arena

OVR: 21

i use T-Rich all time and i've had some great game with him breaking tackles etc....yea he'll get tackled a few times but what back don't? not every back is gonna break all the tackles. i've been playing online alot the past few weeks and hes been main reason i've won most my games because he's been untackleable and i just kill clock with him pounding the ball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

I couldn't get a thing out of Stephens-Howling consistently.

I haven't had the chance to use a really good power back - I have Ivory, but he's far from the top.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #7
Rookie

Raging Raider's Arena

I read that the effectiveness of some skills like TRK and SFA are based on strength, but even though STR has some effect in tackling ELU is the skill for breaking tackles.

I guess the only point of a power back in Madden is to be able to fall forward when being tackled (if you have high enough STR and TRK).
Old 12-03-2012, 03:47 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 20

I think I got the trick to using power backs. It's different than in past games, you need to hold the R-stick up (or up-left, up-right) a lot sooner when approaching a defender. Same idea is applied to when your using the stiff arm. You need to have have the trucking animation in full stride, but not to where you stumble over yourself.

As for elusiveness, this controls how well a player can break tackles. Strength controls how far or how often they fall forwards, instead of getting layed out onto your back. I sometimes will run into a corner-back with Lynch while using no animation and he will run straight over them. Using Marshawn Lynch I absolutely see a difference than using other backs, in regards to the ratings. I think he is the best power back in the game, high strength and 99 trucking and stiff arm.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »