Home

Why can't I be a Tackle in my player?

This is a discussion on Why can't I be a Tackle in my player? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
Rookie

Patscanes's Arena

OVR: 1
Why can't I be a Tackle in my player?

They used to let you be a tackle in my super star. Does anyone know why?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Banned

dingleberryfinn's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Why can't I be a Tackle in my player?

EA lost their imagination.
They figure you can't possibly have fun bein' an O-Lineman in a video game.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingleberryfinn
EA lost their imagination.
They figure you can't possibly have fun bein' an O-Lineman in a video game.
I'm guessing this is part of the reason. Can you be a kicker in this years game?
Old 12-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
I'm guessing this is part of the reason. Can you be a kicker in this years game?
That wouldn't work. You only have two things to increase- kick power and accuracy, and accuracy is optional, tbh.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
Banned

throckmeisterz's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow218
That wouldn't work. You only have two things to increase- kick power and accuracy, and accuracy is optional, tbh.
Still, the game should let you do it. I never played superstar in previous maddens, but I used to have a blast playing as olinemen in a co-op franchise with a buddy. Even on pass plays I would sometimes control a G or T and just go wrecking ball style into the secondary (lol, in previous maddens you could pancake cornerbacks without getting called for pass interference, creating monster TD receptions).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 36

No inside knowledge to give here, but I believe in part it also stems from the lack of stat tracking for O-Line in Madden.

WRs have yards, catches, TDs, drops, YAC, and FUM to help the game decide who is above average.

QBs have attempts, completions, TDs, INTs, QB rating, etc.

In Madden, pancakes and sacks are really the top two OL stats. I don't have the game in front of me and I know there are 2-3 others as well, but my point is that there aren't clear-cut ways to tell a top OL compared to the skill positions in the game.

I'm not saying add ratings, as personally I feel the game has too many as is and that would directly go against my view. If EA were to add OL functionality in the future, one way to go about it could be to use the current OL stats but weight it so that your effectiveness (if you're a pass blocker, passing yards; vice versa for run blocker) is based on how well your team does in that category.

Pretty much how the game already does it, by using team goals. Though personally I can't say I'd ever play as an OL, I can certainly see why it'd be fun for someone who would.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8

Probably because "My Player" in Madden is pretty bad overall. The only two positions that feel fleshed out are QB and RB and even those feel rather generic.

- WR/TE is just about running into open space and pressing A.
- LB/CB/S all feel rather lame as well given you are playing from an offensive view, and there are so few controls on defense, not to mention the AI defense is pretty bad.

If I ever play My Player and I am not a QB or RB, I feel like I'm not actually doing anything.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
Banned

throckmeisterz's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZoneD25
I'm not saying add ratings, as personally I feel the game has too many as is and that would directly go against my view. If EA were to add OL functionality in the future, one way to go about it could be to use the current OL stats but weight it so that your effectiveness (if you're a pass blocker, passing yards; vice versa for run blocker) is based on how well your team does in that category.
I'm pretty sure this is already how OL gain most of their xp. OL get milestone goals for team rushing and team passing yards and tds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm
Probably because "My Player" in Madden is pretty bad overall. The only two positions that feel fleshed out are QB and RB and even those feel rather generic.

- WR/TE is just about running into open space and pressing A.
- LB/CB/S all feel rather lame as well given you are playing from an offensive view, and there are so few controls on defense, not to mention the AI defense is pretty bad.

If I ever play My Player and I am not a QB or RB, I feel like I'm not actually doing anything.
Totally agree. I've tried to get into playing my player in madden (this year and in previous years), but every time I start, I just decide to give up and go back to playing as an entire team. I would love to see this mode developed into something clearly different from playing the full team career (rather than the former just being a microcasm of the latter). Take nba 2k for example: I play both association and my player in the 2k games because they are clearly different, and each scratches a different gaming itch. Granted, football positions are far more specialized than basketball, and each individual player (except qb or a premier hb) accounts for a smaller percentage of the total team activity than in basketball...but still, superstar/player ccm has always felt like an afterthought in madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »