Home

Coverage on a TE??

This is a discussion on Coverage on a TE?? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Coverage on a TE??

I loved reading this thread. My base offense personnel is what I call PATS (2TE/2WR/1RB). Some of these concepts can work against a player who is predictable. As with any defense the key is to run these setups when your opponent is least expecting it after they have gotten comfortable. Looking at down and distance, when they run certain plays, you cannot see your opponents eyes. But picking up on tendencies and squatting on certain routes can be the difference in the game. Also mix up you coverage. you cant run strictly man/zone coverage all game. The timing on when he throws to the TE is different and if me makes a bad man/zone read he will throw it right to you. Lastly blitzing over the TE. When he runs a route, he is one less blocker get after the QB and force a quick throw.

When it comes to offense I think as with any attack you must stay versatile. I primarily establish my inside TE early and then use him as a decoy to force the defense to vacate certain areas of the field. To do what I really want to do which is to get a fast guy in space on one of the hash marks. when a user starts vacating the LOS that's when I start running at the TE side, throwing screens, quick slants/drags to the slot, etc.

All in All there are some good concepts here. I'd share more, but I think some members of my league read these forums lol.

Last edited by dghustla; 12-31-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1

If you have a fast safety with some size, I like to use the Big Nickel set that replaces a LB with a safety. For someone who is exploiting the TE, I like to also drop a quicker DE into double coverage on the TE. The combination of those two moves has been effective for me in slowing down the TE when you get up against one of those guys who throws exclusively to him.

I have a nephew that does this, now instead of throwing for 200 yards to his TE per game he is content to throw 6 int's trying to force it to the TE.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:46 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 0

You can always manually switch the coverage. Personally if I'm playing somebody who is primarily targeting their TE I'll play nickle with me CB1 inside then (if necessary)manually assign him to cover the TE and move hm into position then switch whoever was covering the TE to cover the HB. Or if they really are only throwing to the TE just leave the guy (usually a LB) on the TE as well for double coverage and have a safety come down to cover the RB.

It takes a little getting used to but it can be pretty effective. Another wrinkle to mix in is to switch the coverage but don't move the defenders pre-snap. This can lead to your opponent reading the TE as open only to have the DB jump in front to pick off his pass.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »