Home

Coverage on a TE??

This is a discussion on Coverage on a TE?? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Coverage on a TE??

So in my online CCM, I have one team who burns me all day long with their receiving TE.

Is there an easy way to get a CB to cover a TE rather than an LB? Most of my LB's are poor at Man Coverage (but are studs otherwise). Whenever I come out in Nickel or Dime, somehow the MLB is always still assigned to cover the TE, while the extra CB will be assigned to the HB. I've tried flipping the play to no avail.

Any tips on stopping a TE using DB's?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Coverage on a TE??

I use the nickel formation and switch the package to 4 CBs. This helps sometimes. Check the play before the snap and reassign the fourth CB if necessary.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
Rookie

Usually if you come out with one extra DB than the offense has WRs, the extra DB will either be on HB/TE, flipping the play usually works for me to get the CB to slide to the correct side of the ball.

Also when i know im getting TEed to death, ill package switch to "LB at Ends" and then either Spy, Yellow zone, or man up the TE the LB lined up at end over the TE. Best way to stop TE is usering a LB or safety and manually take it away.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:06 AM   #4
Rookie

Maxil's Arena

OVR: 2

TE coverages is trickey as hell. There's a few topics in the top page regarding TE's running wild, and for good reason.

OLB's usually get assigned to them

And pro-bowl OLB's usually have man/zone coverage ratings from 30-60.

So I've found myself running nickle/dime packages in a ton of 2TE+ sets so they get matched up with cb's

If someone uses the TE in pass routes often I'll just make some line subs and such and run a permanent nickle as my base
Old 12-30-2012, 02:17 AM   #5
Rookie

If they are passing a lot or it is third down I always come out in quarters man with the MLB in a spy. That way I have a DB matched up on every target.

A few adjustments I like to make are to put my MLB on a hook, the RDE on purple or blue zone and the DT on a spy, re-blitz LDE, than user guy covering the TE or RB and cover the middle and right side of the field, knowing I have help inside. Depending on the formation I might also do zones to middle or sidelines as well. A good manual bump never hurts either (R1). Make sure to hold ball hawk when you are in coverage and you will get a lot of picks with people trying to force it in there.

Last edited by Inferno2ss; 12-30-2012 at 02:21 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno2ss
Make sure to hold ball hawk when you are in coverage and you will get a lot of picks with people trying to force it in there.
Ball hawk? You mean holding down Y (on 360) to catch it? Or something else.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Will definitely help.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
Rookie

Maxil's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoctor
Ball hawk? You mean holding down Y (on 360) to catch it? Or something else.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Will definitely help.
check out the in game manual, it covers the new 'features'.

Ball hawk feature allows you to select a player, and just hold catch or swat. The computer will automatically move the player (no more user control required) to undercut and intercept/swat the ball.

Basically less control more automation. works online too.

However it takes the most direct route, so if you miss/late the receiver probably will have an open field in front of him. And if you're up against a receiver TE, you might want to make a depth chart or package substitution, as the players that get put on coverage against TE's usually have horrid mcov ratings.

Last edited by Maxil; 12-30-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:50 AM   #8
MVP

d11king's Arena

OVR: 13

If you have good cover skills and can read routes, cover the TE manually. Use RB (360) to bump/press him within 5 yards if you wanna try that but other than that, I usually cover receiving TE's myself and sure I may give up a few first downs, or catches, but I don't get killed. The user will probably get like 3 catches for 28 yards on an average day but that's about it.

Reading a route probably takes some time to get, but once you do, interceptions come by easily, or QB tackles since the QB might not wanna force that pass and hold onto it longer.

Adjusting your zone coverage to the middle helps against TE's also. When I do this, I usually just manually control an outside cornerback and cover the outside myself while everything goes torwards the middle.

That DB life is a whooooole 'nother world! Don't come out here if you ain't go to that Primetime school.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »