Home

Clint Oldenburg Explains the Strength Rating For Linemen in Madden

This is a discussion on Clint Oldenburg Explains the Strength Rating For Linemen in Madden within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #49
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: Clint Oldenburg Explains the Strength Rating For Linemen in Madden

My head hurts.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #50
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
And Phobia, I would like to add, if I have a player with a specific trait, he should be performing with it WITHOUT me controlling him. I did a test on this last night with Haloti Ngata. I performed the Bull Rush several times when I controlled him. When I left him in the hands of the A.I. and controlled Ed Reed, Ellerbe or Lewis, he did NOTHING
That's how I feel with my bookends. I have Tuck and JPP on the ends, but I like to user a linebacker. Mostly Chase Blackburn because he's weak. If I do that, my defensive ends don't do anything on their own. I have to blitz in order for them to get free. What's the point of having these stud players? The fact that it's 2012 and we have an issue like this is the most concerning.

Let's just cut through the crap and all come clean and honest here. None of us believe these developers are capable of creating a quality football game. Even if they had unlimited resources and funds. At this point there is no reason to get on them to fix anything, because even if you explain it like you would have to for a 2 year old to understand it, they won't get it. They don't know HOW to do any of this. The only thing that can save football gaming now is someone else making the games.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #51
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
That's how I feel with my bookends. I have Tuck and JPP on the ends, but I like to user a linebacker. Mostly Chase Blackburn because he's weak. If I do that, my defensive ends don't do anything on their own. I have to blitz in order for them to get free. What's the point of having these stud players? The fact that it's 2012 and we have an issue like this is the most concerning.

Let's just cut through the crap and all come clean and honest here. None of us believe these developers are capable of creating a quality football game. Even if they had unlimited resources and funds. At this point there is no reason to get on them to fix anything, because even if you explain it like you would have to for a 2 year old to understand it, they won't get it. They don't know HOW to do any of this. The only thing that can save football gaming now is someone else making the games.
This in the sad truth. While I appreciate all the deep thoughtful discussion that goes on around OS about Madden, the game completely overlooks so many basic elements. The depth of ratings aside, it absurd that the AI doesn't perform adequately to its' real life counter parts. In last gen football games I had a saying "I don't User control Pro Bowlers" because it made sense that the AI for those players should be better than me. However with Madden this gen, stars don't play like stars controlled by the AI and the game just has very little rhyme or reason behind it. So many things in Madden at this point come across as gimmicks with very little substance to them.

There is simply no excuse for Madden be such a poor representation of NFL football.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #52
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
This in the sad truth. While I appreciate all the deep thoughtful discussion that goes on around OS about Madden, the game completely overlooks so many basic elements. The depth of ratings aside, it absurd that the AI doesn't perform adequately to its' real life counter parts. In last gen football games I had a saying "I don't User control Pro Bowlers" because it made sense that the AI for those players should be better than me. However with Madden this gen, stars don't play like stars controlled by the AI and the game just has very little rhyme or reason behind it. So many things in Madden at this point come across as gimmicks with very little substance to them.

There is simply no excuse for Madden be such a poor representation of NFL football.
A sports game should play to the assigned ratings and in a smart way. The challenge for someone using a joystick should be to play as well as when the CPU controls the player. I'm with KB or Taz or whoever said that difficulty sliders should make the joystick threshold more or less difficult, but the players should play to their ratings and the ratings should matter. Difficulty should not touch ratings.

I'm convinced that EA/Tib will never create a smart NFL Video game (CPU controlled entities play to their ratings in a smart way).

And this is why MY HEAD HURTS. I greatly appreciate the intelligent discussions and incredible time and effort some of you put into this, but I fear it will go no where. Still I encourage all of you to keep trying!!!!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #53
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
And Phobia, I would like to add, if I have a player with a specific trait, he should be performing with it WITHOUT me controlling him. I did a test on this last night with Haloti Ngata. I performed the Bull Rush several times when I controlled him. When I left him in the hands of the A.I. and controlled Ed Reed, Ellerbe or Lewis, he did NOTHING
I know LB it is just frustrating on so many levels.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #54
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal

Big it stems from the fact a realistic direction was not taken from the creation of the code. Now they are trying to go back and attempt to fix poor code decisions. The problem that is like building a house with untreated wood. When it starts to rot and decay you cover it with paint instead of doing it right the first time by using the right building materials.

My point is now there is no way to really make this code work in way you would like to see. As painful as it is and how much they don't want to do it but a entire new game needs to be built from the ground up with strictly the mind set of competing with the top dog franchises like The Show and NBA 2k in the realism department. This current engine and design I just don't see if ever being able to do that.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #55
MVP

OVR: 16

The more I think about this thread and what Phobia is saying, wouldn't the smartest thing to do is announce this year they will add Madden 2014 rosters for $10. However, the annual Madden won't come out since it will give them more time on next gen games. That way it won't turn out like previous gen conversion. That way, they don't play with bad code of this gen and have full 2 years to work on next gen game!! Prove to us this game is on level of other EA sports games. But who knows, nothing they do is ever logical!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #56
EA Game Changer

simfballcritic's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Big it stems from the fact a realistic direction was not taken from the creation of the code. Now they are trying to go back and attempt to fix poor code decisions. The problem that is like building a house with untreated wood. When it starts to rot and decay you cover it with paint instead of doing it right the first time by using the right building materials.

My point is now there is no way to really make this code work in way you would like to see. As painful as it is and how much they don't want to do it but a entire new game needs to be built from the ground up with strictly the mind set of competing with the top dog franchises like The Show and NBA 2k in the realism department. This current engine and design I just don't see if ever being able to do that.
What up Phobia,

I agree with you 100%. At some point they will have to re-write codes in order for the game to perform in a way that us sim heads would like it to. In my talks with the Devs I know they are focusing on simulation, but like you said they must do what is necessary to achieve that goal.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »