Home

How do you pass on a cover 2 zone in a 2 WR Set

This is a discussion on How do you pass on a cover 2 zone in a 2 WR Set within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #9
Rookie

8mileroad's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: How do you pass on a cover 2 zone in a 2 WR Set

Four verts shreds cov 2, but three verts is a cleaner and easier read. On four verts, you could be throwing to potentially all four receivers, but on three verts you will be throwing to the TE post 99% of the time. Watch out for tampa 2's though, where the MLB might pick off the post, and in that case a four verts might be better.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
Just started!

OVR: 0

I wish one of you guys who understand these concepts and help me get a good grasp on them. Levels, drive, smash and the others and what my progressions are and when to throw the ball away, I take sacks waiting on progressions to open up. I'm on xboxlive and gt is gamedog1977
Old 02-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #11
Rookie

8mileroad's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamedog1977
I wish one of you guys who understand these concepts and help me get a good grasp on them. Levels, drive, smash and the others and what my progressions are and when to throw the ball away, I take sacks waiting on progressions to open up. I'm on xboxlive and gt is gamedog1977
Levels and smash are both designed to look like each other. With smash, you're reading the corner who ends up being responsible for both the corner and the 5 yard hitch. If he goes with the hitch, throw the corner, and vice versa. You should read smash high-low. Levels looks just like smash until the receivers make their breaks. You read this low-high-backside. Usually against cover 2 the 5 and in route will be open but if not look for the 10/12 yard in behind it. I don't imagine this play works as well in Madden as defenders won't really bite on it being smash.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mileroad
Four verts shreds cov 2, but three verts is a cleaner and easier read. On four verts, you could be throwing to potentially all four receivers, but on three verts you will be throwing to the TE post 99% of the time. Watch out for tampa 2's though, where the MLB might pick off the post, and in that case a four verts might be better.
I think the main point I was trying to get at with the 4 verticals was the route combo on the left side of the screen. A fade / Streak combo on one side of the field will destroy cover 2 all day. The safety cannot cover both deep WRs, and with the fade on the left it will push him closer to the side line and to give you additional space to throw a bullet pass once the WR clears the corner.

Why play around with trying to making tough reads for 15 yards when you can hit a fast WR down the sideline for a potential TD?
Old 02-24-2013, 01:15 AM   #13
Rookie

8mileroad's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno2ss
I think the main point I was trying to get at with the 4 verticals was the route combo on the left side of the screen. A fade / Streak combo on one side of the field will destroy cover 2 all day. The safety cannot cover both deep WRs, and with the fade on the left it will push him closer to the side line and to give you additional space to throw a bullet pass once the WR clears the corner.

Why play around with trying to making tough reads for 15 yards when you can hit a fast WR down the sideline for a potential TD?
Well I guess my point was that it's not a tough read, just a really easy read. The safeties (at least in real life) will turn their hips/weave to the outside streaks and the TE will pop open in the middle. With four verts, both safeties are responsible for two players. Any four of the receivers could be open, rather than just the TE in a three verts.

In reality, both four verts and three verts destroy cover 2 and are easy TDs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »