Home

Good Bye Madden 13 (12 year vet)

This is a discussion on Good Bye Madden 13 (12 year vet) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #65
Rookie

BradyBunch88's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Good Bye Madden 13 (12 year vet)

Since I first read this post, I have also stopped playing Madden.
I love football and I'm only a newbie, the first Madden game I played was '09. I've been playing every game since then. And I've played '13 to death, last year I played Madden 12 all the time, pretty much up until Madden 13.

But this years game, although they've added some nice things (I really love what they've done with the audio, Nantz and Simms, QB cadences) it's just a really badly made video game.

Quote:
When there's two formations named the exact same thing, uses the same plays, but one of the formations gets speed burst WR's off the LOS while the other formation has no speed bursts off the LOS for no apparent reason. They just decided for that formation to just have speed bursts. That's just one main thing that really shows the unprofessionalism (is that a word?) in this game.
I could not believe that when I read it, but it makes sense. I always see two plays named the same in the exact same formation and always think "Huh, why have they repeated that?" but it's almost as if it's cheating. Every video game is scripted and coded, but when you're playing NBA 2K13 you feel as though you're in control, it's your fault you lost the game, you can't put it down to the CPU cheating, whereas Madden almost depends on itself by cheating.

There's so much I could say that's wrong with the game that it'd be easier and quicker to say what's right with the game! And you all know what I mean, hence why you're reading this and are active in this thread.

Gameplay is the biggest issue. There is no challenge from the CPU and if you add the challenge via sliders, it feels as though you're being cheated out of a win, when you lose a game or throw a pick or lose a fumble etc.

I think Madden is far beyond from recapturing the brilliance - at least what I've heard - of Madden '05. They've gone too far and have destroyed their reputation and won't be able to come back. They need to really start from scratch.

And it's not just that either! Outside of the game there's too much BS going on. Like AJ's twitter rant calling out Josh Looman, I believe AJ in that the CCM could've been way better. When I read those tweets, man, I hated Madden! I felt cheated. And that's a word I keep using, cheated, I guess that sums up this years game for me.

Also the pricing of the game, I'm from the UK, I paid £50 for the game brand new, that's a lot of money if you think about it and I'm not sure if I got my money's worth!

I realised I wasted a lot of time playing Madden. For example, in the CCM mode, it's boring! You don't win anything, you go through the season, you win the Super Bowl...then what? Do it again. The only fun thing to do, is to develop rookies and going to the draft.

A few years ago I purchased an XBOX, NFL 2K5 and the Action Replay thing, I played 2K5 before that on a PS2 and I really enjoyed it. But having played it again, also with the access of Madden 10 I believe, the graphics (obviously) weren't as good and it was difficult to play. But the gameplay is insane for 2K5! It's so smooth and realistic. I ended up selling the stuff I bought because the graphics were too distracting for me.

So here's hoping for a new 2K football game. I'll probably buy Madden, but I'll wait a few months before it comes out. Buy it cheaper.

Madden '13 will now be shelved until I decide I want to play a football game or until I decide to sell it.

But thank you for this thread, it's opened my eyes to the Madden franchise and to Evan_OS dude, 12 years, it must be really tough for you not to play Madden anymore and feel cheated by them!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #66
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom
This passing cone wasn't that bad, IMO. But, "Fight for the fumble?" Oh, crap I hated that. It was so stupid. I hate that type of thing in any game (push a combination of buttons to get out of a hold, or to perform a specific action to slay a boss).

EA Sports football games, in general are full of gimmicks. NCAA Football: Mascot Mash up (Really? Who the hell plays that? I have NEVER played it.); Race for the Heisman: Why? What's the reason for this? You can try to win the Heisman with any character in career mode.

NCAA Football could remove those two gimmick modes & free up some space for more features (more faces, uniform items/plays crowd/sideline/stadium graphics).

While we are at it? Why do we need to have disc-based games? Why not go straight download only? Then the developers are not limited in memory space like they are with a blu-ray disc. They can implement as much as they desire.

I like some of the features in Madden 13. The ability to add a gameface is great, although I wish we could download & save multiple game faces & not have one gameface being used for a created coach, or player.

They need to fix the depth chart issues, scheme issues & the fact that we cannot use created play books with our created coaches. (Of course the scripting issues that cause game freezes).

Really, the newest Madden doesn't have many gimmicks in it.
Madden doesnt come anywhere near filling up a DVD-9 let alone a blu-ray disc. Madden is like 5GB total. A blu-ray holds 25 Gb's of data, 50 Gb if it is a dual layer blu ray disc. Madden is SMALL.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:27 AM   #67
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmie
Madden doesnt come anywhere near filling up a DVD-9 let alone a blu-ray disc. Madden is like 5GB total. A blu-ray holds 25 Gb's of data, 50 Gb if it is a dual layer blu ray disc. Madden is SMALL.
Many multi-platform developers have commented that the XBOX 360 is easier to develop for the the PlayStation3; this is evident in that the XBOX 360 became the lead platform during this console cycle. As such, since the XBOX 360 is limited by disc capacity of DVDs, the PS3 version necessarily is along for the same ride, as making two significantly different versions of the same game typically isn't profitable.

Rare is the case where a multi-platform developer makes a great deal of distinction between target platforms for a game given a simultaneously-launching multi-platform title. With only a few games does even a first-party game on the PS3 shine due to the additional storage space provided for assets.

Besides, file size of a game is by no means indicative of quality. Most of that 5 GB is certainly filled with assets such as textures, meshes, and audio. The file size of compiled game code is peanuts compared to any of these other things. This is why Final Fantasy XIII was spread across multiple discs on the XBOX 360 while on the PlayStation 3 it all fit on one BluRay; the file size footprint of assets in a JRPG is staggering.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #68
Tiger Paw

tyberious4now's Arena

OVR: 2

I've read this entire thread and I must admit that I'm a old head that is still trying to play madden every year...Madden 13 has been a huge dissapointment due to EA lack of serious support...

We as a group need to speak seriously with our wallets this go around. I mean seriously...not just talk but basically skipping Madden all together if we don't get that changes that we deserve...

I'm all in at this point!!
Old 02-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #69
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyberious4now
Madden 13 has been a huge dissapointment due to EA lack of serious support...
You're going to need to further define "support" as you use it, because the idea that Tiburon and EA Austin didn't provide adequate post-release support for Madden NFL 13 is absolutely false.

There were at least four major title updates which not only fixed existing bugs but added entirely new functionality to the game after launch, the latter of which is mostly unprecedented in not just sports video games but all video games which are not MMORPGs or perpetually in-beta games such as Minecraft. Not to mention weekly significant roster updates for online play (compare this to the roster updates for NBA 2K which, while weekly, feature minimal and sometimes zero changes).

That Tiburon released the game in a state where it arguably needed all four of those aforementioned title updates to reach its potential as a standalone title is fair to question; however, the updates did indeed happen and the game is far better for that fact.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #70
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Many multi-platform developers have commented that the XBOX 360 is easier to develop for the the PlayStation3; this is evident in that the XBOX 360 became the lead platform during this console cycle. As such, since the XBOX 360 is limited by disc capacity of DVDs, the PS3 version necessarily is along for the same ride, as making two significantly different versions of the same game typically isn't profitable.

Rare is the case where a multi-platform developer makes a great deal of distinction between target platforms for a game given a simultaneously-launching multi-platform title. With only a few games does even a first-party game on the PS3 shine due to the additional storage space provided for assets.

Besides, file size of a game is by no means indicative of quality. Most of that 5 GB is certainly filled with assets such as textures, meshes, and audio. The file size of compiled game code is peanuts compared to any of these other things. This is why Final Fantasy XIII was spread across multiple discs on the XBOX 360 while on the PlayStation 3 it all fit on one BluRay; the file size footprint of assets in a JRPG is staggering.
So you are saying that DVD size was never really a prohibitive factor in the quality of Madden, like so many have tried to claim. So Madden being substandard on this current console gen is really just on EA and Tib and not the size of the media.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #71
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
So you are saying that DVD size was never really a prohibitive factor in the quality of Madden, like so many have tried to claim. So Madden being substandard on this current console gen is really just on EA and Tib.
I am indeed saying that file size is not a good indicator of the quality of a game. For example, Super Meat Boy, one of the greatest platformer games of this console cycle, was a measly 108 MB. A second platformer, the puzzle-platformer Braid, is 144 MB. Another one, Limbo, is 117 MB. A more relevant example: a fully 3D game, the excellent first-person shooter puzzle game Portal, weighs in at just over 600 MB; it could have fit on a CD-ROM.

It's your opinion that Madden is substandard, one that I obviously do not share. However, you would be correct to say that Tiburon has failed to build a game that you personally would enjoy, and that Tiburon was not limited in their efforts to build a game you might enjoy by the capacity of game storage media.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #72
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I am indeed saying that file size is not a good indicator of the quality of a game. For example, Super Meat Boy, one of the greatest platformer games of this console cycle, was a measly 108 MB. A second platformer, the puzzle-platformer Braid, is 144 MB. Another one, Limbo, is 117 MB. A more relevant example: a fully 3D game, the excellent first-person shooter puzzle game Portal, weighs in at just over 600 MB; it could have fit on a CD-ROM.

It's your opinion that Madden is substandard, one that I obviously do not share. However, you would be correct to say that Tiburon has failed to build a game that you personally would enjoy, and that Tiburon was not limited in their efforts to build a game you might enjoy by the capacity of game storage media.
We are in agreement. And the bold is a very fair statement that I would very much agree with.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »