Home

What's the ONE thing you must see in Madden 14 before you buy it?

This is a discussion on What's the ONE thing you must see in Madden 14 before you buy it? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #49
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: What's the ONE thing you must see in Madden 14 before you buy it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm
This is the philosophy EA Tiburon has used over the passed half decade or so. Do not remove schemes; rather flesh it out. Work out the kinks. What worked, what didn't and find ways to fix what didn't.

Only things that should be removed are clearly bad ideas that have no place. Schemes actually are a pretty good idea.

I should say, at the very least, I am curious to see how EA builds upon their progress from '13.
Schemes could have been a good idea but because of all the problems it leads to, its more bad than good. In fact, I dont see or have noticed any difference whatsoever even if you change your scheme. Maybe, if you're simulating or whatnot but not if you're playing the games yourself.

Below are the problems associated with Schemes -

1) OVERALL PLAYER RATINGS

This can and should be ignored because when in-game, go to your depth chart. You will see the entire team rated as what they would be in Play Now. In other words, its fake and should be ignored. Its a cosmetic feature that makes you think that theres more to it when there's not. I simply ignore it because well, its fake. And im trying to figure out how ANY scheme can somehow affect a kicker and punter. In the end, a better idea would be to eliminate this crap, allow you the option of running a 3-4 or 4-3 defense, and an offense based on coordinators which is something that should be brought back.

2) HORRIBLE FA SIGNINGS

Because of the screwed up ratings due to the scheme setup, teams will sign players that quite honestly, shouldnt be signed and majority of the time, if not all the time, the player signed is worse than the player they're replacing. For example, I eliminated a LOT of FA's like McNabb, Owens, etc. by moving them to K (or P for defensive players) in my roster. No FA in my roster is rated higher than 68 because and no player is past their 4th year as a pro. As a 49ers fan, I have seen the Packers sign ROLB Clint Session (who's hidden/encrypted in CCM) to replace an 80 rated D.J. Smith (who I have since made 85 to get around this problem). Reason for this is because despite being 80 in-game, his rating is lower than Session's due to the scheme setup. Another example, I made Vikings MLB Jasper Brinkley 85 and he STILL gets replaced by Gary Guyton because AGAIN, due to the horribly flawed scheme setup, he's rated higher than Brinkley yet, in game, you'll see Brinkley at 85 being a backup with Guyton starting despite being rated in the 70's or so.

3) HORRIBLE CUTS

Another reason why schemes is horrible is because the CPU releases a LOT of players because their overall ratings are lower than what they should be due to the scheme and are released despite the fact that when you play in-game, they are the same as if you were playing in Play Now. The main player that I remember seeing after the pre-season was Sammie Hill from DET. Guy is rated in the 70's in my roster and despite the scheme making his rating increase, the CPU STILL released him. Thats fake. Guy is too young and talented to be released. Plus, he's cheap.

4) HORRIBLE DEPTH CHARTS

Again, due to the severely flawed Scheme gimmick, in-game depth charts are horrible. The CPU never adjusts them and the user cant either so at times, I'll see the backups starting despite the starters obviously being rated higher. The CPU doesnt fix ANY of this in the games themselves. Perfect example, if you were to be in the Super Bowl against a team that has an 85 rated QB overall but due to the scheme setup lowers him to say 78 while the backup is rated 79 due to the scheme setup, the game will start the backup despite the fact that in-game, he's only 79 while the backup who should be the starter is rated 85. In other words, its reversed and the opposite of what it should be.

5) HORRIBLE DEPTH CHARTS PART 2

For whatever reason, the game LOVES moving LT's to RT, LG's to RG and vice versa. This drives me nuts. Granted, the horrible depth chart setup in general affects this but because the game takes into account the ratings of players due to the scheme setup, everything gets screwed up. If a player at LT is in-game rated higher than the RT but is rated lower outside of the actual game due to the scheme that team is running, he'll be moved to RT while the RT will be moved to LT. Again, you can thank the severely flawed scheme setup for all these problems.

I have every QB rated 80 or higher including Sanchez, Gabbert, Fitzpatrick, etc. because otherwise, they'll most likely be replaced and I dont want that to happen. I also have every K rated 95 or higher with every P rated 90 or higher because again, I dont want the CPU to replace those guys by some hidden player like Neil Rackers who's long gone.

The "hidden" encrypted players in CCM is beyond horrible. If you actually move every MLB in FA to another position and start a CCM, you'll see Jovan Belcher as a FA.

EA/Tiburon needs to eliminate all this garbage because instead of helping the game, it does the opposite. It makes it worse. It took me three weeks to finally edit the final regular season roster update to get it to where the signings/cuts are minimal in regards to being stupid, unrealistic and quite simply, not making any sense. And im still coming across problems but at this point, im just going to play and whatever happens happens. I can only get around so much that after a while, this game is nothing more than a severely flawed product that barely went through any testing whatsoever if any. Just way too many problems that I found and if im finding them, they should have easily been found during testing but then again, when the consumers are the testers, obviously not.

And on a side note - everything I have posted is a FACT. It's NOT opinion. You can ALL check it out yourselves. It's not me making it up. It's all legitimate stuff. The Scheme setup is beyone horrble because it basically screws up everything and for those of you who have gone through at least one off-season and passed on a FA because he didnt fit your scheme, you fell for something that should have been ignored.

If/when I get to the off-season, im hoping to go after WR Mike Wallace if he's available not that im expecting him to be. In my edited roster that im playing my 49ers CCM with, Wallace is rated 88. i dont care if the scheme lowers him to 70, im STILL going after him because IN GAME, he'll be rated at least an 88.

Sorry but schemes is beyond horrible, has aggravated and frustrated me to the point to where I dont even care. I simply ignore it for my team and if the CPU teams get screwed as a result, not my fault or problem.

For Madden 14 -

Schemes need to be either ELIMINATED because there's way too many problems and knowing EA/Tiburon, your options will be limited and you wont be able to work around them. That right there is a problem. I have had to "work around" so much stuff because of the scheme setup. This isnt right. I should be able to play the game out of the case without spending weeks on editing in order to avoid these problems.

Bring back franchise mode and just solve the damn problems it had and bam, done.

Eliminate player position requirements. This DOESNT exist in reality. No reason for it to exist in Madden.

Fix the damn depth charts. Eliminate the option of seeing players at other positions being available for positions that they dont play. Seeing a K/P as the third QB on a team's depth chart because that team has only two QB's is beyond unrealistic not to mention the fact that it screws everything up. Check it out. I cant believe that no one here or at EA/Tiburon has seen this. You can see it from a mile away. This is the secondary reason why you see screwed up depth charts in CCM.

Bring back 32 team control. If M13 had this, I would be able to get around every problem but since I cant edit other teams in CCM, im stuck. Full editing in and outside of CCM/Franchise. I understand not being able to edit attributes/ratings in CCM/Franchise but other than that, FULL editing needs to be brought back.

And these problems are mainly due to just the scheme setup in M13. Imagine how much I would post if I actually went through this game from top to bottom. M14 will be exactly the same, nothing will be fixed, we'll all still be complaining while EA makes millions off our stupid asses as we buy the damn game because there's no other current football game to play. UGH.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #50
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
RG;

Didn't the same thing happen with Madden 10 CD event you attended. That was the one where LBz, AJ, (sorry my mind is drawing a blank on a poster here that knows football real well, darn), Sven, theWatcher. I think I recall seeing that they were happy with the direction with Madden 10 and were in disbelief with the final product.

Unfortunately, that seems out of your hands how it's implemented and programmed after CD events.
Yes and no, Road.

Personally, and I've said this multiple times, I don't put much stock into the theory that EA/Tiburon pulls a bait and switch at community events. Do some things change prior to the game shipping? Of course they do. But I would not personally suggest the game changes radically from one build to another within a cycle.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #51
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

Honestly, a release date is all I need. It's an NFL game, so I'll buy it.

What will make me happy with my purchase? I'd be fine with M13 if they cleaned up all the bugs - from all the problems with CCM to uniform errors. And if they beef up the AI without it being cheap.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2013, 01:19 AM   #52
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

I want a user programmable AI tool where the community can customize any AI script that runs in-game and share them with each other.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:48 AM   #53
MVP

OVR: 3

Probably the hard cut (i.e. foot planting and player movement). If they haven't addressed that, it's just going to feel like the same mediocre at best game to me.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #54
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles36
I'll disagree w/ you here Smoke. I think coming off the community event, the attendees were generally excited about where Madden was going, including myself. And in my own opinion, I think the M13 features were pretty good and/or innovative in some cases.

What turned me off was the several bugs -- items that worked fine in M12 but were sabotaged in the transition to M13. I'm talking about CPU playcalling. Auto Subs. Camera work. Signature animations. If all of that stuff worked as it was supposed to, I'd be thoroughly enjoying M13. None of us could foresee last February that those features would ship in a malfunctioning state, so most event attendees were generally optimistic about M13 last Feb.

The bolded is the impression I got from when they attended last year, it wasnt that "Heck YEAH MADDENS BACK BABY YEAH LOL" type of vibe like the year before. But you hit the nail on the head with the type of vibe I got from them guys last year.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #55
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke6
[/b]

The bolded is the impression I got from when they attended last year, it wasnt that "Heck YEAH MADDENS BACK BABY YEAH LOL" type of vibe like the year before. But you hit the nail on the head with the type of vibe I got from them guys last year.
I felt like the guys at CD last year did a pretty good job setting the tone for Madden 13. They were pretty excited about some big announcements (IE and CCM) however there was also at the same time some calmed enthusiasm and a lot of this is just year 1 talk going around. I think the main feeling I got from the CD guys last year was more of potential and what could be with guys like Victor Lugo and Patrick Bellanca than what actually is. Hopefully that potential will start to turn into some results this year and for years to come.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #56
Banned

OVR: 32
The very first thing I will take a look at are those horrible run animations. Madden 13 took a huge step back from 12 in this area. I also want to see 32 team control return to franchise. This was the number one game killer for me. I want to see the stadium sounds, from 12 return. Add texture back to the fields. The zig zag running was horrible in 13. Fix the AI! Nothing pisses me off more than seeing a 500 page thread on OS about how to fix the broken AI. I can't talk about 13... It makes me want to cry

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »