Home

Is the consistency trait worth 10000XP?

This is a discussion on Is the consistency trait worth 10000XP? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Is the consistency trait worth 10000XP?

Same here. Love the consistency trait. Got my dline playing much harder and better. Even got Kamerion Wimbley to have 15 sacks last year as RE. Must buy for impact players.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 0

if u dont buy consistency ur player rating will fluctuate over season( which is also called hot steak or cold streak)
u dont wanna see great players like ed reed playing average at times
also positions ( QB, HB) need extra lvl of consistency
if ur qb goes into playoff with cold streak, it would be disastrous
Old 02-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #19
Pro

ajk49er's Arena

OVR: 2

I went after consistency on my OL/DL/WR's/DB's to 4 immediately. thats where my points went.

Ive had the most steady stat production over 3-4 seasons, its been kind of amazing. in 3 straight seasons, my user controlled safety(only about 1/2 to 2/3 of the time I user, the rest Ill put some pass rush in there if I cant get to the qb in a certain game) was able to put up the same stats almost to a scary point of identical

tackles over 4 seasons are within 3 of each other 74 73 75 76
INT's are 4/5/4/4(cpu doesnt let you bait them like they did in 11, id have 10-12 picks in madden 11 baiting the cpu
FF=2/2/2/2
FR=1/1/1/2

and team stats are right on point. my dbs dont get beat as often are are consistent, my WR's dont drop stupid passes(like my zero consistency TE just dropped 3 straight) and my DL has seen the biggest bonus

I still say though, if you can get high motor, grab it, run away w/ it, and giggle the day away. I swear dontari poe makes more plays w/ that high motor trait than any DL ive ever seen 10-20 yards downfield. all of a sudden hes racing past lb's and chasing down the hb. its incredible. its also quite realistic, it reminds me of chiefs/ravens in the playoffs off the '10 season, terrance cody came from behind and just destroyed jamaal charles, who put the ball on the turf, this happens a lot w/ high motor, and a consistent player

Last edited by ajk49er; 02-04-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:38 AM   #20
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I like the points in this thread. I personally value players with higher consistency ratings and it is something I keep in mind to save up for if I have a promising but inconsistent player.

That said, to present a counterpoint to always and only upgrading consistency, with younger players, it may be worthwhile to improve their raw skills first, particularly a player with Quick or Superstar development. When a player gets older, there's a sort of multiplier that gets applied to every attribute boost package, and everything starts costing more. The price of the Consistency trait upgrade never changes, however, regardless of a player's age or Development trait. As such, it could be seen as a later-stage upgrade for a player, while during the early stages of a player's career it's more optimal to increase a player's ratings as much as possible, given that it's easiest to upgrade a player's raw ratings the earlier it is in his career.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

That's a good point about the younger players. I think that the physical skills begin to cost more once one crosses a certain threshold within the numerical range, though, not when one crosses an age threshold, though I may be wrong on that.

I noticed that catching ratings for Denarius Moore got a lot more expensive very quickly once I got into the mid-80s, for example.

With the youngsters I like to get them to 2 on the consistency level and then build from there for a season or two, upping them to 3 and perhaps 4 in the 3rd season in the development process.

It's really fun to try to figure out the best way to use these points. I know not everyone's a fan of the system, but I love trying to maximize production by making the touch choices about which things to upgrade.

One of the biggest pros of consistency upgrades is shorter cold streaks. Guys at 2 can still go cold for a few games before resetting, but at 3 or 4 you're less likely to be in a long, team-killing slump (esp. w/ the QB).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP
I would say consistency matters. I upped DMC to 3, and he is MUCH more likely to give me 85+ yard games on a regular basis and is less prone to cold streaks.

On defense, I upped Seymour on defense, and he was remarkably steady for the two seasons I had him.

Big Hitter is a good trait, but having messed with High Motor, I'd say that this trait is extremely valuable. I gave it to Desmond Bryant and he just shows up all over the field, and he clearly stands out from the players who don't have that trait. It may not produce tons of fumbles, but the effect it has on eliminating big plays is crucial.

McClain has Zero consistency, and some games he murders people, while he disappears for others. I'm going to up him to 3 or so and I think that'll be huge.
I got McClain's consistency up last.

I first got his PRC, AWR, BSH, TAK, POW up to 90. Once he got there he was pretty much "consistent". Honestly, now that he's a 4 in consistency...I can't tell a difference. He made 150 tackles/year before and after...I really can't tell the difference in his production.

I haven't done it on a QB yet, still raising his main attributes first. Same for the WR, though I gave some to Moore, and, again, can't really tell a difference. How bad is a guy with high 80's in his main attributes along with 95 SPC, 94 SPD, and the ACC/AGI to run routes going to be, though?

DBs - sometimes they go soft on me, but is that because of consistency or because they still have weaknesses in their main ratings? One corner has 60s AWR, another is low 80's in PRC and AWR. My third corner is okay, but not great in coverage and has average AWR.

OL - same thing, got strong young talent at LG and RG, mid-90s STR and the RG has high 90's RBK. His consistency is now 2, but he still seems to play the same way.

For a HB - Caulder just owns for me, even without high consistency, especially once I got his BCV close to 90, CAR in mid 80s, and AWR up close to 90. His 90s TRK does the rest.

I think it might matter more for average guys - but, then again, so would making them not be average. The point about DEV rating makes sense, but, then again, McClain is Normal DEV and he was good before I upped consistency once he turned into mini-Willis.

May depend on how much I plan to use them. For a back up, or that guy that has a one-off awesome game, consistency might be the way to go. They won't go cold from sitting around or doing very little in games while increasing attributes matters less since they'll play less.

For everyday guys, I can't see raising CON over their regular ratings. 80% of a higher number is still getting better production - so his 'down days' and 'plays off' are still productive, they just won't be awe striking. Just the way I look at it, though.

Big Hitter: That's a good trait if the player has the TAK and POW to back it up (i.e. not fail on the big hit). There's a big difference between McClain's big hits and Tyvon Branch's.

High Motor: I loved this one from M12. Too bad it's not available for all positions (wonder why?), though any position can have a Yes there. Next best thing on defense is high PRC and PUR.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Yeah, I agree that it's crucial to get the basic ratings up to par with guy who play a lot or start since these have the most immediate impact, and you can't get by with guys who have terrible AWR or position specific stuff like tackling or catching or whatever.

Over the long haul, I want the consistency up so guys will play to their ratings every time out, or at least the overwhelming majority of the time.

Incidentally, I have a crazy situation at OLB with a guy I drafted. I lucked out and he happened to have Superstar development, but as of now, he's only got 65 tackle--the same value he had when I drafted him.

What's weird is that he NEVER misses a tackle. Never. I have no idea how that can be the case with a LB, especially when McClain will miss a tackle now and again. Weird. And his consistency is only a 1.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 1

I've spent nearly of my XPs this year on increasing everyone's consistency. I'm trying to get everyone up to three or four by the end of the year if they're starters.

Am I wasting my time? Would I be better raising the stats/ratings of the younger players first? I've read this thread and understand all the points made. And just wanted some extra info.

For example, I have JJ Smoke and Rugus Cage (elite young players) Should I raise consistency or ratings in their first year? Smoke is a starter, Cage is my third TE and will become the second on the depth chart next year. What about Kaep? I have the QB boost package.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »