Home

drafted/created players names

This is a discussion on drafted/created players names within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
MVP

nick_sr's Arena

OVR: 4
drafted/created players names

why are there no mention of these players from the commentating crew? Haven't played madden since madden 10, so I don't know if these issue has been brought up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: drafted/created players names

EA Sports being lazy. Is there really any other possible reason? lol The only other real reason you could come up with is that the announcers were unwilling to or unable to pronounce all the drafted players names, but lets get real..
Old 02-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
Rookie

redlasers123's Arena

OVR: 4
Im going to be the devils advocate here and say that it might have been due to it being the first year nantz and simms are doing it however i fully expect them to have every created/drafted players name in the draft classes in the games audio in madden 25
Old 02-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlasers123
Im going to be the devils advocate here and say that it might have been due to it being the first year nantz and simms are doing it however i fully expect them to have every created/drafted players name in the draft classes in the games audio in madden 25
Oh come on.. it has to be laziness.

On Madden 2004 for PC in my franchise the dolphins drafted a WR named Chauncey Iannacone and Al Michaels pronounced 'Iannacone' just fine whenever he made a reception.

I guess EA Sports just doesnt pay attention to detail as much as they used to (Maybe cause they have no competition).
Old 02-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
Pro

ajk49er's Arena

OVR: 2

this should be a darn top priority. its why it bothers me to see so many post about these small tiny petty issues. this is an issues that totally hurts realism. I never cared about the announcers before, other than getting insulted here or there, I could live with it, but this has beem EVERY YEAR where its become less, and less, and less names in that database. gus johnson only knew a few names, and half the year they had a problem gus would say the wrong name anyway. justin houston was justin rodgers.

I hate to point to it, but I will. if you play APF2k8, there is one thing that sets it apart with presentation beyond having an actual halftime/end game highlight reel w/ commentary(that actually knows your name) and that is when you make a play on a ball as a defender, and they show the replay of it and the announcer actually says the ENTIRE NAME.

now I can settle for last names, but they even need to have more names all together being said. I feel the announcer has like 3-4 guys per team that you hear their name, and the rest never get mentioned. kills it for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
MVP

Greekcian's Arena

OVR: 1

So they have these crazy stories during the draft in which they mentions some names but that doesn't translate to the commentary? That's lame...
Old 02-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen710
EA Sports being lazy. Is there really any other possible reason?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk49er
I hate to point to it, but I will. if you play APF2k8, there is one thing that sets it apart with presentation beyond having an actual halftime/end game highlight reel w/ commentary(that actually knows your name) and that is when you make a play on a ball as a defender, and they show the replay of it and the announcer actually says the ENTIRE NAME.
Not a fair comparison; no multi-year career mode existed in All Pro Football 2K8 and there were no drafted rookies, so the number of names to record simply was nowhere near as large.

To put this into more specific perspective: there were 240 Legends in in APF spread across 24 teams, around 11 Legends per team. The rosters in that game were not 53-man rosters; I forget the exact number, but I'm going to assume 45 for now. User created teams could choose from three different skill types per player group; for example, hands / balanced / speed for generic WRs. We'll add about four more teams worth of players for the created team filler players; so 28 teams with no free agents or draft classes.

28 x 47 + 240 = 1556 players.

Compare that to Madden: 32 teams of 68 players (release day rosters), add free agents (ballpark, 200 players), and 30 * 224 players (at least) for all pre-generated draft classes.

32 * 68 + 200 + 30 * 224 = 9096 players.

In order to allow for every player in the game to be referred to on a first- and last-name basis, Tiburon has to record nearly six times the amount of audio compared to what 2K had to do, just for player names. That's likely not feasible in general, but it's particularly not feasible on a nine-month dev cycle in which an entirely new commentary team and logic is being introduced, recorded, and implemented, which was the case for Madden 13.

My point is EA isn't being lazy; rather, the amount of work they'd have to do to implement first-and-last-name audio for every player is overwhelming.

To the topic, the drafted player storylines absolutely should continue through a player's career and that they don't is a shortcoming in the presentation. I don't think it negates the presence of storylines entirely, as the draft buildup and process I'd argue is one of the best-executed parts of CCM.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
Pro

cuttingteeth's Arena

OVR: 14
Location: I live on the road - ghosting servers of family members...haha.

I don't mean to be the guy that mentions another game, either, but I do know that MLB: The Show has a huge name database. In fact, they even pop up when you go to create players - tons of names they have ready to go. All are spoken in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »