Home

Drafting Prospects (Need vs Want)

This is a discussion on Drafting Prospects (Need vs Want) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2013, 02:05 AM   #1
Rookie

TreyDobbs's Arena

OVR: 5
Drafting Prospects (Need vs Want)

Hi guys. I am currently in Year 2018 of my online CCM with three of my friends. I left the Bills this past year when playoffs started and took the Patriots HC job after their coach was fired for the second time in the past three years. They've basically dropped to one of the worst teams in the NFL in my CCM and I'm in for a MAJOR rebuilding process. Here's my question. I'm in a tough position. I have been able to acquire four first round draft picks for this upcoming draft, but have a 66 overall offense and 69 overall defense. I do not currently have a FB, LT, LG, LE, only one poor RE, only 1 DT, and only 1 LOLB who does not fit my scheme. My question is this. There's a QB (Blane Giles) who has 94 speed and would be a major success in the type of offense I run. However I have several holes to fill on my team with only 4 draft picks this year (even though they're all first rounders). Would you recommend drafting a QB who can make an immediate impact for my team, or drafting positions of critical need that I currently do not have anyone at? I'll sit back and listen to some feedback.

Note: This is AFTER the free agency stage. I missed on a LOT of guys I was going after even after giving them $1-2 million more than they were asking for. That's why my roster is so depleted.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2013, 02:11 AM   #2
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Drafting Prospects (Need vs Want)

To me, the hole at left tackle is absolutely huge and I would want to fill that first. The lack of quality defensive linemen is also huge. I would look long and hard at those positions first if either A - you already have a QB1 of reasonable quality, or B - you intend to compete for a playoff spot in the upcoming season.

That said, your team sounds like that it is in such a dire situation that drafting best player available is a can't-lose strategy; regardless of position picked, you're improving your team. I'm not sure that you have a wrong answer here.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:37 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Considering you have 4 first rounders I would go ahead and take the qb after all you still have another 3 to draft high quality players to fill the needs at LT DE DT. You can always pick guys up in free agency when preseason begins to act as stopgaps till next years draft too
Old 02-22-2013, 04:48 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0
I would scout very well and trade down to pickup some more picks. Build the team, trade one or two of those picks.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

With so many holes, I think you should trade your 4 first round picks and try to stockpile late 1st round to 2nd-3rd round picks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
Rookie

RVallee's Arena

OVR: 6

I would draft the QB. Certain postitions can have a major effect on a team, QB probably the biggest one of all. Not to mention at 94 speed he can run which makes him even more dynamic. That QB will make you alot better immediately.

Especially having 4 other 1st round picks. If you only had 1 it might be different, but having 4 (even if they're your only draft picks) gives you the QB + 3 other starters. Get depth in Free Agency.

http://www.twitch.tv/rva11ee
Old 02-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Intriguing situation you're in....

Did you scout at all throughout the year with Buffalo? If so, did you write down players you know you wanted?

If no,

Step 1 -> Draft the stud QB.
Step 2 -> Use your 2nd first rounder on the best LT you can find.
Step 3 -> Trade your last two first rounders for 4-6 mid rounders.
Step 4 -> Use your scout points given to you when you signed on with NE to scout 3rd/4th/5th/6th rounder defensive players.
Step 5 -> What I like to do is purchase all the SCHEMES for ALL the defensive players in the draft, the reason for this is once all the guys on your "list" are taken, and it's your turn to pick, you can atleast pick a player that plays your defensive scheme.
Step 6 -> I would look to add DEPTH with all your mid round picks for your defense. Even if you filled a couple holes on your D with studs, the rest of your D wouldn't be able to get you off the field and before you know it, even your studs on D are playing like scrubs. There should be plenty of C's if not B's you can find in those rounds with excellent ratings that fit their respective roles.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
Pro

ajk49er's Arena

OVR: 2

take blane giles, he will transform your franchise.

one of the top 25 things I wont like about madden 14(since we can already write down pretty much all of them, as all the issues now from stupid HoF logic to stupid roster management by cpu(where if they just all had a letter grade within their overall, then went off of a combo of potential and scheme fit to decide starter, but the focus on overall rankings screws w/ everything)

but one of those 25 things.....no blane giles.

the one franchise ive been able to keep going this year solo, has been my giles franchise. just fun to play

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »