Home

Commentary improvement ideas from M13 to M25

This is a discussion on Commentary improvement ideas from M13 to M25 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21
Commentary improvement ideas from M13 to M25

Let me know what you guys think, but this is how I would like the commentary to look/sound/feel in Madden 25 and if not possible now, in future versions of Madden on the next gen consoles.

In game I'd like to see dynamic commentary by Nantz & Simms based on what happens in my season.
I want Nantz & Simms to talk about specific teams and players who are doing well, struggling. I want them to talk about transactions around the league, injuries, mvp races, playoff pictures, etc...

In the play by play, I FINALLY would like to hear the names of the players as the plays happen, something along the lines of....

Jim Nantz- "3rd and long, ball on the Green Bay 42 yard line, Rodgers drops back to pass, has a man open, Jordy Nelson with the catch and he picks up 15 for a Packer first down."

Phil Simms- "Jim, that was a great read by Aaron Rodgers, he looks off the defender and finds Jordy Nelson open down the field to pick up the first down."

Jim Nantz- "Aaron Rodgers has been on the money all day Phil, and he helps the Packers pick up a key first down here.(Display graphic pops up showing Aaron Rodgers completion percentage that game, or the team's third down conversion rate.)

Jim Nantz-"3rd and 2, ball on the Bears 35 yard line,Rodgers takes the snap, he's under pressure, and he's sacked by Julius Peppers"

Phil Simms- "Jim, what a great play by Julius Peppers right there, he gets a great push at the LOS, runs right past the offensive tackle Brian Bulaga and Rodgers couldn't get rid of it in time, that sack takes them out of field goal range and now they're going to have to punt." "Jim, this was a problem for the Packers last year, they'd get across the 50, and on 3rd downs they were unable to protect Aaron Rodgers, forcing them to punt, and it seems to be carrying over into this season so far."

Jim Nantz-"You're right Phil, as you can see here (Display graphic pops up showing sacks allowed by GB last year and in the current season) the Packers allowed more sacks than any team in the NFL last year and they need to correct this problem soon before their Franchise Qb ends up getting hurt."

Oh and another thing, if I'm in year 3 and my team wins the SB, I want to hear Jim & Phil talk about that, not how my team did in 2011. The team/player specific commentary in M13 was always about the 2011-2012 season.

Immersion is what is seriously lacking in Franchise/CCM whatever they have been calling it or call it from now on doesn't matter. What matters is the depth and functionality of the mode and how much it can immerse you into it. I'm not sure how much of the studio and dynamic commentary we will see until the next gen game comes out in November or whenever, but I would like to see a more immersive Connected Franchise mode.

What do you guys think? What do you want to see improved in the commentary this year and in the future?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
Banned

MaddenSaints's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Commentary improvement ideas from M13 to M25

I like the idea of talking about the playoff picture i.e if you are in the AFC Divisional Round for example and you are the Patriots playing the Colts for a spot in the AFCCG with the Steelers who are all ready through. They should talk about it.

"2 minutes left in this ball game and the patriots are so close from booking their place in the AFC Championship Game along with the Pittsburgh Steelers who defeated the Ravens by a score of 27-24"

Something like that can go a long way.

If you win a Superbowl 2 times in a row and you are in your 3rd then they should talk about how you could become the only team in NFL history to win 3 Superbowls in the row.

"Here we go, it is Superbowl Sunday and we have a thrilling matchup on our hands. New England face the New Orleans Saints for the Lombardi trophy. The Patriots have won it for the last 2 years and if they manage to pull off a victory today then not only will they win the Superbowl for 6th time and come level with Pittsburgh for the most Superbowl wins, but they can become the only team to have won it 3 times in a row, just incredible."
Old 05-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Pre-Game Storylines - Have a pre-game storyline for every game played that somehow relates to what is happening in your current franchise. During pre-game, you would go to a quick booth shot and then as they start talking about the situation, it cuts to the player/coach on the field during warmups with some sort of stat overlay showcasing season stats or stats from last weeks game. This would be something that would be brought up at halftime and post-game based on how the situation played out (if it did) during the game. If the situation didn't materialize throughout the game, then the commentary would make notice of whatever the 'storyline' of that game had been (huge pass rush, stiffling run d, huge air attack, etc.) The key is to feel fresh week-to-week and get the idea that you're playing over time. Commentate the season. Not just each game. I'll give a couple of examples of pre-game showcasing based on different scenarios:
Spoiler

I realize it's all very generic but in terms of pre-game stuff, I feel like it kind of has to be that way. If you have the pre-game camera shots of the players warming up, coming out of the tunnel, coaches talking to players stretching with stat overlays, I think it kind of makes up for the generic commentary. I look at Madden 04 where they had something similar but with only a few different intros.

I don't want to hear about how Matt Flynn is coming over from the Packers in 2020. I don't want to hear about the amazing 2012 season Joe Flacco put together in 2025. I want to hear about him being in his 15th or so year in the league and how he could retire after the season. I want the talk to be about the game today and how it's played out, and how it affects (or could affect) the franchise going forward.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
Pro

Trick13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Let me know what you guys think...

What do you guys think? What do you want to see improved in the commentary this year and in the future?
I love the idea, but doubt EA has the tools or the will to get where you are wanting them to go.

I think it is possible, but I believe it will take a new thought process like maybe;
As NFL Netwrok (NFL owned) gets all the games once they have been aired - this means EA should be able to get the audio files from the NFL for any "on air personality" that they (EA) have under contract. Thus they could then "skip" the vast majority of "recording sessions" and use that audio to "build" their commentary library, and then have the actual personalities (Nance and Simms currently) come in to do short sessions in which they record them saying player names that are either new (rookies for the year and Madden generated draft classes) or missing from previously recorded audio files.

As I see it, they either do something like that or they need to hire some hungry voice actors (I am available, and yes I have some acting experience) or broadcasting "upstarts" to record vastly more significant amounts of commentary...
Old 05-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
MVP

jbd345's Arena

OVR: 4

I am very surprised at this stage we have heard NOTHING on presentation. It has me worried that they might have not made big enough changes for their be any mention of it. Unless they are following NCAA and enhancing franchise presentation rather than play now presentation. I.E studio updates, in game ticker, and enhanced commentary throughout your career ect... I really hope this is the case. I mean if NCAA can make a ticker for 120 schools and make it dynamic, I would imagine it wouldn't be that hard for Madden with only 32 teams.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #6
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

After reading the commentary thread ChaseB started again and considering the things being touted for NCAA 14, I expect some good things for this stuff in M25. May 20th will likely have some good nuggets surrounding presentation as a whole.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
MVP

CT Pitbull's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Let me know what you guys think, but this is how I would like the commentary to look/sound/feel in Madden 25 and if not possible now, in future versions of Madden on the next gen consoles.

In game I'd like to see dynamic commentary by Nantz & Simms based on what happens in my season.
I want Nantz & Simms to talk about specific teams and players who are doing well, struggling. I want them to talk about transactions around the league, injuries, mvp races, playoff pictures, etc...

In the play by play, I FINALLY would like to hear the names of the players as the plays happen, something along the lines of....

Jim Nantz- "3rd and long, ball on the Green Bay 42 yard line, Rodgers drops back to pass, has a man open, Jordy Nelson with the catch and he picks up 15 for a Packer first down."

Phil Simms- "Jim, that was a great read by Aaron Rodgers, he looks off the defender and finds Jordy Nelson open down the field to pick up the first down."

Jim Nantz- "Aaron Rodgers has been on the money all day Phil, and he helps the Packers pick up a key first down here.(Display graphic pops up showing Aaron Rodgers completion percentage that game, or the team's third down conversion rate.)

Jim Nantz-"3rd and 2, ball on the Bears 35 yard line,Rodgers takes the snap, he's under pressure, and he's sacked by Julius Peppers"

Phil Simms- "Jim, what a great play by Julius Peppers right there, he gets a great push at the LOS, runs right past the offensive tackle Brian Bulaga and Rodgers couldn't get rid of it in time, that sack takes them out of field goal range and now they're going to have to punt." "Jim, this was a problem for the Packers last year, they'd get across the 50, and on 3rd downs they were unable to protect Aaron Rodgers, forcing them to punt, and it seems to be carrying over into this season so far."

Jim Nantz-"You're right Phil, as you can see here (Display graphic pops up showing sacks allowed by GB last year and in the current season) the Packers allowed more sacks than any team in the NFL last year and they need to correct this problem soon before their Franchise Qb ends up getting hurt."

Oh and another thing, if I'm in year 3 and my team wins the SB, I want to hear Jim & Phil talk about that, not how my team did in 2011. The team/player specific commentary in M13 was always about the 2011-2012 season.

Immersion is what is seriously lacking in Franchise/CCM whatever they have been calling it or call it from now on doesn't matter. What matters is the depth and functionality of the mode and how much it can immerse you into it. I'm not sure how much of the studio and dynamic commentary we will see until the next gen game comes out in November or whenever, but I would like to see a more immersive Connected Franchise mode.

great work jp.. to be honest maddens commentary may be the worst there is as far as "top end" sports games go. its way to choppy and has no personalization or flow to it what-so-ever.Improvements will only come with the guys they choose putting the time in to give the commentary an authentic feel and flow. Sure simms and nance are great together but it was painfully obvious they didn't put in half the time needed to deliver any resemblance of an authentic broadcast that we might hear on sundays.

Last edited by CT Pitbull; 05-10-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #8
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

I think specificity is good, but only to a certain extent. I think in terms of the play-by-play, it is an absolute necessity. I don't ever want to hear "that was a great catch by [him][number 80][that guy]". However, with color commentary, I think I could live without some specifics as long as there is other presentation elements to go with it to make up for it.

If you get too specific, you back yourself into a corner where a certain piece of commentary is only useful for a limited amount of situations or a certain extent of time. I remember playing the Saints in pre-season every year in M13 and always hearing "Louisiana Superdome home of Super Bowl-something" and while that sounds good maybe in the year of the Super Bowl actually being played there, it just seems out of place every year deeper you get into the franchise.

I just think I'm a fan of an over-abundance of situational, somewhat generic commentary that is valuable for any team or player over the entirety of a franchise accompanied by camera presentation to go with it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »