Home

what do you think about custom playbooks in online leagues for m25?

This is a discussion on what do you think about custom playbooks in online leagues for m25? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: should custom playbooks be allowed in online SIM leagues ?
yes 18 69.23%
no 5 19.23%
im not sure right now 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
Pro

Trick13's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: what do you think about custom playbooks in online leagues for m25?

Most of my complaints about cheesers, playbook wise, are contained in every "standard" playbook anyway. The biggest problem with Madden outside the lack of Adaptive AI, is broken stuff EA built into the game - ie the twin deep comebacks where the right side player is impossible to press cover - regardless of his ratings. EA needs to have a single glitch forum on their own website where we can point these things out and they go patch them - only does any good if they actually fix them though...

Custom playbook will greatly reduce my need for hot routes and allow me to have a much larger variety in play calls because I won't be hamstrung with formations I never run or a ton of plays that I never call - cuz now I can replace them with plays I will call...
Old 05-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
MVP

infemous's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll2tide
The older I get the more strongly I feel that when it comes to SIM leagues you should do less rule making when possible and more correcting behavior. Institute a complaint form for your league if you need to so you can track who complians, what they complain about, and who they complain about.

Boot the problems. Allow your sim owners to enjoy the full options that the game gives you.
Exactly. Sim players do not rely on money routes to get 1st downs. If someone always goes to one play all game long, boot the mother****er.

I have to say, it is difficult tho because if an owner cheeses but has changed the roster it makes the team less attractive... but it is what it is. I personally think more leagues should have a vetting process, an audition so to speak, where you must play 2 or 3 members before you get accepted into the league. If they spot any problems that come up in the games, don't accept them or accept them on the provision of them changing that element and if they fail to, they get instantly booted.

PS4 is becoming the perfect system for Madden online leagues with the share button. it will basically nullify the issues that arise from the absence of saveable replays in CCM and horrible replay cameras, and will allow a league to police itself because the evidence will be evident.

I personally don't see how anyone could want an XBox One full stop, but I am even more surprised how anyone who considers themselves a sim Madden player and enjoys 32 team CCM/CFM, could not want to play that on a PS4 where the share button will eradicate the 'grey areas' of policing sim play in Madden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
Most of my complaints about cheesers, playbook wise, are contained in every "standard" playbook anyway. The biggest problem with Madden outside the lack of Adaptive AI, is broken stuff EA built into the game - ie the twin deep comebacks where the right side player is impossible to press cover - regardless of his ratings. EA needs to have a single glitch forum on their own website where we can point these things out and they go patch them - only does any good if they actually fix them though...

Custom playbook will greatly reduce my need for hot routes and allow me to have a much larger variety in play calls because I won't be hamstrung with formations I never run or a ton of plays that I never call - cuz now I can replace them with plays I will call...
Bold are exactly what I mean.

A custom playbook removes the fluff from a playbook and forces sim players to use the entire playbook. No longer would it be an excuse of "Oh, I've only got 3 run plays from a heavy run set" or "I've only got 2 useable plays that can get me a 1st down on 3rd and 10+" etc. etc.

Anyone who only uses certain route combinations or plays within a playbook is a cheeser and needs to get booted. It shouldn't affect the sim gamers who actually want to be able to diversify their playcalls.

Last edited by infemous; 05-30-2013 at 08:14 PM. Reason: italics didn't work... went for bold
Old 05-31-2013, 02:13 AM   #11
MVP

all of the posts so far are accurate and nice in theory. HOWEVER, it will always happen that people will try and push that borderline of sim gameplay if it means some form of a competitive advantage. There are tons of good quality, sim owners that I'd end up booting if I booted for a tad bit of overuse of certain routes. Fact is that there is such a disparity in some routes / formations / plays compared to others. Unless you expect all of your owners to call a play they know is less likely to suceed than others, the whole boot em if they abuse situation doesn't work all the time.

A good ruleset is just to get everyone on the same page of what is expected of them in a league. My leagues have always had a damn novel size rulepage because of the amount of issues that have been widely abused in Madden the past few years.

If things work out this year I'll have the best group of owners I've ever had come M25 (due to a lengthy ranking process for every owner to determine the best 32 and such), which may give the SLIGHT possibility of allowing for custom playbooks. However, just as everyone defaults to a specific few playbooks each year (texans, saints, etc.) because of how good they are, the same thing would end up happening regarding custom playbooks most likely.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2013, 08:38 AM   #12
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29
I'm fine with guys using custom playbooks. I want to use one myself because it would make the playbook fully functional. Some plays are useless.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 05-31-2013, 10:02 AM   #13
Pro

Trick13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios12787
all of the posts so far are accurate and nice in theory. HOWEVER, it will always happen that people will try and push that borderline of sim gameplay if it means some form of a competitive advantage. ...
I agree that people will always push the boundaries in a competitive setting, but the biggest issue with Madden is poor programing (UN-pressable routes, routes that are over effective, very poor zone coverage functionality) and they are all contained in some form in every playbook.

EA needs to get rid of some garbage in their code and add in adaptive AI and then custom playbooks won't be abused - my league will be allowing custom playbooks - I think the variety it will allow will outweigh the glitcheration nation...
Old 05-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 2

i say yes i know some people say it be easier to exploit stuff but all i have say if u in a good league having certain formation can cause u win or lose

for people dont want it i say make the commish have a option to turn it on or off this way u know if u joining a league that tell u if u can use custom playbooks and this way u know this league is for u or not not everyone will like custom playbooks for me i perfer this cause some plays in my playbook i dont use cause dont fit my style like like wr reverse i use that maybe 2 times in my whole 5 seaons of madden 13 if i had a option i take the play out this way u can add trick plays or add a play book u feel comfortable with instead of this playbooks u have find and play through to u find a one u like

look i use run gun since madden 06 to 11 love the playbook but the hb screen was messed up in 12 took me ages to find a playbook had the plyas i like ahd had the hb screen work proberley but then i found it mid way through madden 12 and good news when madden 13 came out they didnt change the playbook evne when the coach got fired after end of the season of 12
Old 05-31-2013, 05:41 PM   #15
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
I agree that people will always push the boundaries in a competitive setting, but the biggest issue with Madden is poor programing (UN-pressable routes, routes that are over effective, very poor zone coverage functionality) and they are all contained in some form in every playbook.

EA needs to get rid of some garbage in their code and add in adaptive AI and then custom playbooks won't be abused - my league will be allowing custom playbooks - I think the variety it will allow will outweigh the glitcheration nation...

100% fully agree with this. There is a reason people roll 2 man under 90% of the game, there's a reason they stick to certain routes/plays. This reason definitely lies within the game itself. Problem is, as much as we'd always like to think they can and will improve this each year, something else always pops back up that starts the vicious cycle over again.

Last year zone played extremely well (some said too well), and this year it was asstacular in comparison to man. This can be said about a lot of issues we've seen throughout years of playing madden. I never expect a Madden to come out where there isn't going to be something that is just plain overpowered or imbalanced.

For me, as a league member/admin/commish, it comes down to creating a league situation that uncovers these issues each year and prevents the abuse for them for the members in my league.

Who knows though, I'll hold on to the pipe dream that is a well balanced, mostly glitch free Madden until the game releases and we see otherwise. It is an improbable feat, but god knows I'd love to see it lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2013, 11:40 PM   #16
Pro

Trick13's Arena

Just to be clear, I am the commissioner of a league, we have "house rules" for roster management, sign a FA you cannot trade him for 1 season, 1 trade with CPU anything goes, then only draft picks for draft picks and only during the draft - but we have no "rules" on the field.

We have high expectations for guys to conduct themselves with respect to other users, but since we SIM 6 regular season games - run it up against the CPU. We have booted a user for an unauthorized trade, but user vs user breakdowns are rare.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »