Home

Canadian Online Gamer: E3 Hands On "This is the Madden you've been waiting for"

This is a discussion on Canadian Online Gamer: E3 Hands On "This is the Madden you've been waiting for" within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #25
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Canadian Online Gamer: E3 Hands On "This is the Madden you've been waiting for"

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Yeah, in a roundabout way I was agreeing with you and this paragraph right here sums it up how they feel about animations. They will be here to stay.

There’s also an additional technology called “Phase Matching.” People have complained about sliding, popping, and skating. The reason that has happened is because we’re transitioning from countless animations on the fly. Keeping the legs perfectly blended and 'in phase' during these transitions was historically one of our biggest hurdles. Because we are no longer bound to looping run animations, we can now treat each step individually. Phase matching allows us to blend seamlessly from locomotion to other animations without 'popping' the legs into place. This results in significantly smoother animations.
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were presenting that article to prove JP's point that they are, in fact, looking to make Madden next gen like a Backbreaker.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #26
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Canadian Online Gamer: E3 Hands On "This is the Madden you've been waiting for"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
I'll respond to you separately, because I don't want to lump you and JP into the same cart, even though I'm commenting on the same article that you both reference.

I've read that article. No where in that article does it say that they want this to be a TOTALLY physics based game. All it says it that they will expand on the physics as they go. I never thought that they wouldn't. That is still a far cry from a totally physics based game, which is what JP is alleging is their goal.

They have never once said that. Everything they have said points to the opposite happening, as they have continually expressed that they don't like ragdolling and think that you need animations to rein it in.
Press Row Podcast Victor Lugo
Old 06-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #27
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Press Row Podcast Victor Lugo
Why do I get the feeling I'm being trolled lol?
Old 06-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #28
Formerly simon48xbox

The_Balm's Arena

OVR: 6

I do remember a podcast in which Victor Lugo said that they are slowly transitioning to more and more physics, to replace some animations. In Madden 25 the dive tackles are physics based for example (next gen only I think). I believe he said that they want more physics based interactions, but they also want to add more signature animations. I'll try to find the exact quotes.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #29
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
I hear where you are coming from, but physics aren't the devil to me lol.
Is that the impression you received?

Quote:
Also, when you say that you played Madden 06 without physics, that is actually not true. Madden, like 2K before it, has had some form physics in the game, so you didn't play Madden 06 without physics.
Dunno man, I clearly said physics is in every sports game.

Quote:
What I am specifically talking about is [...]
We all hear you loud and clear.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #30
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz
Is that the impression you received?

Dunno man, I clearly said physics is in every sports game.

We all hear you loud and clear.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2
Not insinuating that you think that physics are the devil, no. Some people do think that and I was just having a bit of fun with my word choice is all. You did give the impression though that you think that physics are a worse option than canned animations throughout your post.

"I played Madden 05 and 06 for PC and was limited to canned animations. Six years, 7 years later I am playing Madden13 with a form of physics intimated."

This quote makes it seem as if you are saying that Madden 05 and 06 don't have physics and 13 does. Just going by how the sentence is worded. Furthermore after the above quote you go on to say that you had more fun playing 05 and 06 than 13, which was another intimation that you think physics are worse than canned animations.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #31
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

I don't think we need a full physics system ala Back Breaker. Weren't the physics a little over the top? I think you need animations to balance everything out. I just want the physics to to use run time calculations to give us proper weight and momentum animations. And of course help the tackling. There should be no excuses to get to the point were we truly don't see the same tackles twice. This should happen within year 1-2 on next-gen.

As far as new developers, its pretty much new leaders that are in place. Who knows with actual developers/programmers/engineers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2013, 01:14 AM   #32
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
I don't think we need a full physics system ala Back Breaker. Weren't the physics a little over the top? I think you need animations to balance everything out. I just want the physics to to use run time calculations to give us proper weight and momentum animations. And of course help the tackling. There should be no excuses to get to the point were we truly don't see the same tackles twice. This should happen within year 1-2 on next-gen.

As far as new developers, its pretty much new leaders that are in place. Who knows with actual developers/programmers/engineers.
But what you are asking for in the bolded is RTP though lol.

BB physics didn't work perfectly. I get that. What I also get is people telling me that BB's physics didn't work perfectly a lot.

What I don't get is why people want to write RTP off after ONE GAME, made on no budget, that really wasn't even a game, but more of a tech demo to try to show off a physics engine for licensure, made by a European dev team, that has zero knowledge of Football, yet they have no problem giving Tiburon as many chances as they can possibly use in one lifetime to continue to do things, that have proven to not work, when they have more budget than just about any dev team ever, have made 25 games, have access to everything NFL, have former organized Footballers on the team, and are trying to make a simulation Football game.

Oh yeah. And they are an American dev team lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »