Home

What Happened to "Smart Commentary" we were promised?

This is a discussion on What Happened to "Smart Commentary" we were promised? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #9
MVP

MrSerendipity's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: What Happened to "Smart Commentary" we were promised?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4ngerR4y
What I mean by that, is I read a preview of M25 where they said commentary is all redone and will "remember" events and stats that happen to you. However once my 2nd year drafted player in CCM came on the field for the first play and I heard "And the new quarterback takes the field for the first time today, hoping to make an impact" or whatever generic line it is, I realized this was a total load of crap. They don't remember anything and the commentary is so dull and half the time it's silent and boring.

Gameplay, physics, and mechanics are good but this is the worst presentation on a Madden game I've seen a while...
Smart Commentary was being referenced for Next Gen Systems. They said there would be a lot more continuity with all of the new room. They said there would be advancements made in Presentation for the Current Gen systems but it sounds like everything you were expecting were things solely mentioned with Next Gen.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
Rookie

EricFreakingBerry's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSerendipity
Smart Commentary was being referenced for Next Gen Systems. They said there would be a lot more continuity with all of the new room. They said there would be advancements made in Presentation for the Current Gen systems but it sounds like everything you were expecting were things solely mentioned with Next Gen.
Actually, to agree with the OP, I read a so-called "review" (don't remember the source, off-hand) that was playing the current gen version of the game since they were referencing all the details of the game engine as if they had a full copy of the game, discussing owner mode in detail, etc. In the "Audio" section they touted that commentary included more of these smart details. It's very likely the reviewer didn't spend any actual time in CFM and got the details confused about the commentary that he had "heard" would be in the game, but nevertheless this was something that was being reviewed for current gen.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 7

I turned off commentary after the first game after listening to it for so long on the demo. I'm so sick of the same cut scenes during TDs and timeouts as well, wish I could immediately skip those as well.

Presentation is terrible, no other way to put it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphalpha
If only they'd use that money from the marketing department for the actual game.
Then where would the money come from to do the same thing they do every year? It works, doesn't it?

Old 08-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #13
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4

Sad to say, but Madden 10 probably stil has the best presentation. (Except for the commentary of course) 10's was pretty bad...
Old 08-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
Rookie

It really seems like the current gen was just a quick release to make cash and the real work is being done on nextgen. Or at least I hope so...
Old 08-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #15
Rookie

raggBAGG's Arena

OVR: 2

So if I play as the Patriots and win 3 more Super Bowls with Brady, will Jim Nantz still say "and now 3 time Super Bowl champion Tom Brady takes the field"?

This has been a huge problem with madden ever since they tried integrating personal lines for players which should be disabled for franchise mode since everything changes after 1 year of play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #16
Rookie

R4ngerR4y's Arena

OVR: 1

They need to have a long variety of lines about players, such as "Last season, he led his team to the playoffs but fell short. Taking the field is the veteran QB (Name Here)" or "(Name Here) has been on fire lately, averaging at least 3 sacks per game in the last 4 weeks" and then just use player names in place holders. Either real or created players. Then it'll make it seem like everyones authentic and there's no obviously created rookies and etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »