Home

Draft STRATEGY Guide

This is a discussion on Draft STRATEGY Guide within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
Pro

YeOldTonk's Arena

OVR: 6
Location: Foothills of the Cascade Mountains in the great PacNW
Draft STRATEGY Guide

Was looking for some tips on what to look for when looking to draft a particular position. For example, if I was looking for a pulling guard, what kind of stats would I want him to have?

Is there anything out there that gives a blanket description for each position or something like that?

Thanks

This thing called Twitter I do sometimes

What's your thoughts? It's a game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Draft STRATEGY Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldTonk
Was looking for some tips on what to look for when looking to draft a particular position. For example, if I was looking for a pulling guard, what kind of stats would I want him to have?

Is there anything out there that gives a blanket description for each position or something like that?

Thanks
http://subscribers.footballguys.com/...l_idpguide.php

This is a good one for defense. Probably more thorough then you need but it can provide some help. Like under Cover 2 schemes it shows that safeties need range, closing speed, tackling skill and enough run-pass recognition ability to not get fooled by play-action. I would translate that to speed, acceleration, tackling, zone d, play recognition.

Some other info that might help:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ensive-linemen

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...32-left-guards

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...line-prospects

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...iver-prospects

It is hard to find a solid source that just shows point blank what scouts look for in certain type of players.

Last edited by pack4life69; 08-29-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
Pro

YeOldTonk's Arena

Bueno!! Thankya much

Old 08-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3

scouting seems just about the same as last year. In that case one of the most efficient ways to scout for the good players is

unlock EVERY PLAYER in the drafts awr rating (just the letter grade, not the exact rating). Then eliminate anyone with an F rating. I typically like to get guys with Bs in the 1st and 2nd, and from then on I will dump into c rating guys for the following rounds if I must.

Anyway, all those guys with a c awr rating are higher are the guys that will actually pan out into potential starters. Don't let people tell you awr doesn't matter. It may not on the field, but when scouting the higher awr players are the guys that will actually pan out on the field. You may find a guy with 98 speed who's tall and has good strength at WR, but if he has an F awr rating chances are he will be a bust and will likely have terrible catch ratings or route running as well.

So first and foremost scout awareness. Don't draft anyone with an F for awr until you hit the 6th or 7th round when it is basically a necessity. After you find their awr, scout their other abilities.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo COP
scouting seems just about the same as last year. In that case one of the most efficient ways to scout for the good players is

unlock EVERY PLAYER in the drafts awr rating (just the letter grade, not the exact rating). Then eliminate anyone with an F rating. I typically like to get guys with Bs in the 1st and 2nd, and from then on I will dump into c rating guys for the following rounds if I must.

Anyway, all those guys with a c awr rating are higher are the guys that will actually pan out into potential starters. Don't let people tell you awr doesn't matter. It may not on the field, but when scouting the higher awr players are the guys that will actually pan out on the field. You may find a guy with 98 speed who's tall and has good strength at WR, but if he has an F awr rating chances are he will be a bust and will likely have terrible catch ratings or route running as well.

So first and foremost scout awareness. Don't draft anyone with an F for awr until you hit the 6th or 7th round when it is basically a necessity. After you find their awr, scout their other abilities.
This method does work but not that well. I did this one draft and missed out on a WR I scouted who had good ratings in the areas I liked but an F in awareness. He ended up being a high 70's rated player. I have had the opposite happen to me when the awareness is high as well and they were rated low.

Honestly, with practice giving you a bunch of experience points, find a player that matches what you like at each respective position. Personally, I love as much speed as possible at almost every position. The reason why is because those are among the hardest ratings to improve. Catching, route running, awareness, etc. can all be improved to a more than respectable level when the players are young.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
Pro

YeOldTonk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ..GameOver..
Honestly, with practice giving you a bunch of experience points, find a player that matches what you like at each respective position. Personally, I love as much speed as possible at almost every position. The reason why is because those are among the hardest ratings to improve. Catching, route running, awareness, etc. can all be improved to a more than respectable level when the players are young.
Seems to be common theme in any sports game. "Speed kills"

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »