Home

Total Control Passing

This is a discussion on Total Control Passing within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
Pro

servo75's Arena

OVR: 9
Total Control Passing

Ok so the Madden Trainer thingie is very bad at explaining this, but it says that you can hold "L" in 8 different directions to lead a receiver. Then during some of the drills it says to press down on "L" to throw a LOW pass. So which is it?? Does "down L" throw the ball SHORT or LOW? They're not the same thing. My impression was that tap/hold is high/low, and "L" is simply direction.

On that same vein, my big problem with fades and long passes is that my receiver does NOT go up for the ball, just stands there and watches the defender leap up to swat or intercept it. So I would think that to make a receiver go up for the ball, you should lob it and press down on L, but that requires a high pass and according to the training mode thingie, "L" down makes the pass low.

So how do you use total control passing to take advantage of a tall receiver and make him jump for it.

Please don't tell me to manual catch, that's out of the question.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
Pro

Maelstrom-XIII's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Total Control Passing

Down on the stick when throwing makes it go low, as in closer to the turf. Tap/hold means bullet or lob, so how quickly do you want the ball to get there, and do you want it to arc or be thrown on a rope.

So if you're throwing a curl, it's better to throw a bullet low (so hold + down), so that if your WR can't get to it, it ends up on the turf. If you're throwing deep and there's no safety help, it's better to throw a lob and ahead of them (tap + up) so that it's less likely to be underthrown and picked off. So the total control really is about ball placement relative to your receiver, not about trajectory, which is controlled by lob/bullet.

With regards to WRs fighting for the ball, I'd visit the sliders forum, as there are some modificatins to penalties/sliders that can make WRs more aggressive.

Carolina Panthers - NC State Wolfpack - Charlotte Hornets - Brisbane Roar FC - VfB Stuttgart
Old 08-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #3
Pro

servo75's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom-XIII
Down on the stick when throwing makes it go low, as in closer to the turf. Tap/hold means bullet or lob, so how quickly do you want the ball to get there, and do you want it to arc or be thrown on a rope.

So if you're throwing a curl, it's better to throw a bullet low (so hold + down), so that if your WR can't get to it, it ends up on the turf. If you're throwing deep and there's no safety help, it's better to throw a lob and ahead of them (tap + up) so that it's less likely to be underthrown and picked off. So the total control really is about ball placement relative to your receiver, not about trajectory, which is controlled by lob/bullet.

With regards to WRs fighting for the ball, I'd visit the sliders forum, as there are some modificatins to penalties/sliders that can make WRs more aggressive.
Ok so L-up is ahead of the receiver but L-down is lower. That's tough to get used to. So then what's the difference between hold-bullet and L-down, I guess the first throws the ball hard and fast but not necessarily low, where the second throws the ball in front of the receiver but could be lob or bullet.

So say I'm running fade or "corners strike" to the endzone, I would want to lob it but press L-up for fade or L-10:00/2:00 for corner.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by servo75
Ok so the Madden Trainer thingie is very bad at explaining this, but it says that you can hold "L" in 8 different directions to lead a receiver. Then during some of the drills it says to press down on "L" to throw a LOW pass. So which is it?? Does "down L" throw the ball SHORT or LOW? They're not the same thing. My impression was that tap/hold is high/low, and "L" is simply direction.

On that same vein, my big problem with fades and long passes is that my receiver does NOT go up for the ball, just stands there and watches the defender leap up to swat or intercept it. So I would think that to make a receiver go up for the ball, you should lob it and press down on L, but that requires a high pass and according to the training mode thingie, "L" down makes the pass low.

So how do you use total control passing to take advantage of a tall receiver and make him jump for it.

Please don't tell me to manual catch, that's out of the question.
Your throwing the fade route wrong my man. I have had great success using the fade route in the red zone against man to man, and cover 2 coverage. What I do is I do not throw it right away. Usually the corner will try and press my man in the red zone. I wait until the corner and my receive engage, and then right at the second he gets a release I LOB (this is important, does not really work with bullet pass) and either throw it high or back should. My receiver usually wil fight with the corner for it in the air and I have gotten some pretty good animations. Works best in the red zone with a BIG receiver like Vjacks or Megatron. They have to have high jump ratings, preferably 85 and up, 90's even better. You cant just lob it up to a scrub or a small guy and expect him to snatch it. A good catch in traffic rating helps as well. Sometimes I like to run a twins set with two receivers lining up on the same side of the field (weak side) and my tight end on the strong side next to the tackle. I will motion my tight end off of the tackle and out by himself like a wide receiver. This will usually create a pretty good mismatch against a corner or safety. The tight end still has to be a pretty decent pass catcher to pull off however.

Last edited by Caliboy626; 08-29-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #5
Pro

servo75's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliboy626
Your throwing the fade route wrong my man. I have had great success using the fade route in the red zone against man to man, and cover 2 coverage. What I do is I do not throw it right away. Usually the corner will try and press my man in the red zone. I wait until the corner and my receive engage, and then right at the second he gets a release I LOB (this is important, does not really work with bullet pass) and either throw it high or back should. My receiver usually wil fight with the corner for it in the air and I have gotten some pretty good animations. Works best in the red zone with a BIG receiver like Vjacks or Megatron. They have to have high jump ratings, preferably 85 and up, 90's even better. You cant just lob it up to a scrub or a small guy and expect him to snatch it. A good catch in traffic rating helps as well. Sometimes I like to run a twins set with two receivers lining up on the same side of the field (weak side) and my tight end on the strong side next to the tackle. I will motion my tight end off of the tackle and out by himself like a wide receiver. This will usually create a pretty good mismatch against a corner or safety. The tight end still has to be a pretty decent pass catcher to pull off however.
Thanks! So how does one throw a back shoulder. Would you press L-down or aim it outside?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2013, 12:29 AM   #6
Pro

Maelstrom-XIII's Arena

OVR: 17

If you're throwing to the WR on the left, throw it outside (so L-stick left + tap). If it's the receiver on the right, L-stick right + tap. You basically want to throw it "behind" the WR (that way if he can't get it, it's incomplete out of bounds rather than picked off).

Carolina Panthers - NC State Wolfpack - Charlotte Hornets - Brisbane Roar FC - VfB Stuttgart
Old 08-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom-XIII
If you're throwing to the WR on the left, throw it outside (so L-stick left + tap). If it's the receiver on the right, L-stick right + tap. You basically want to throw it "behind" the WR (that way if he can't get it, it's incomplete out of bounds rather than picked off).
This exactly. However depending on the CPU's position when I get the release, sometimes I will throw it left diagonally and up ( This direction /). It seems to throw the ball up in the air pretty good and still hit that back shoulder.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
Rookie

Here's the question I haven't seen answered:

How is the total control passing separated from quarterback movement / footwork?

If I push the L-stick right to lead a receiver outside, doesn't that make my quarterback start to run right and throw less accurately without his feet set?

Or are you supposed to push the stick after you've already started the throw?

I remember leading receivers worked well on Joe Montana football on Sega Genesis.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »