Home

Defense is ATROCIOUS!!!

This is a discussion on Defense is ATROCIOUS!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 11
Re: Defense is ATROCIOUS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller7345
I admit there are times the cpu defense simply can't stop me no matter what and those are annoying but on the other side I simply play defense. I try to take away the big play but other than that I don't think I'm doing anything special.
I'd like to see what you're doing on defense. If I try to stop the big play, the opponent just dinks and dunks for 1st downs all the way down field. If I try to stop the run... I can't. If I try to prevent against the mid range dink and dunk, I get burnt deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Introvese
Defense is to be desired. I dig u gotta call the right D in all. But man the defensive AI not cutting no slack. They just dont react as well with that new footplanting. Db's leave wr's open on simple *** routes no matter the wr/cb matchup. Dont get me started with run D. A nice patch should fix alot of those problems. Sliders can only do so much.
This is a much better representation of what I experience.

I have a 90 and 88 rated CB's, and an 83 Nnamdi Asomugha in the slot, and none of them can cover a receiver to save their lives or mine.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #42
Pro

baller7345's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Defense is to be desired. I dig u gotta call the right D in all. But man the defensive AI not cutting no slack. They just dont react as well with that new footplanting. Db's leave wr's open on simple *** routes no matter the wr/cb matchup. Dont get me started with run D. A nice patch should fix alot of those problems. Sliders can only do so much.
One thing EA never bothers to tell people is that there are multiple man coverage techniques in the game. There is the trail technique employed by 2 Man Under and then the off coverage technique played by Cover 1 and Cover 0. However there is a way to cover out routes in man coverage, if you give WRs a cusion while playing 2 man under the defensive player will squat on routes ran about 10 yards downfield. This is good for taking away out routes and sometimes (though its much more suspect) curls.

There is also the disguised cushion option that lets you play up tight with a WR while not pressing him which can be helpful against regular out routes though you have to click on and user the CB to have a chance.

Shading outside also helps immensly with out breaking routes.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #43
MVP

friscob's Arena

OVR: 8

I knew you meant total offense and I still find it hard to believe. I've played enough games on default all madden and the secondary doesn't lock anyone down enough to get coverage sacks like you're describing. The run blocking is overpowering and players don't get off of blocks. What you describe and what I see are 2 completely different things

2014 Cleveland Browns 13-3
2015 Cleveland Browns 6-1
GT: MouthyRat
Old 09-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #44
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller7345
One thing EA never bothers to tell people is that there are multiple man coverage techniques in the game. There is the trail technique employed by 2 Man Under and then the off coverage technique played by Cover 1 and Cover 0. However there is a way to cover out routes in man coverage, if you give WRs a cusion while playing 2 man under the defensive player will squat on routes ran about 10 yards downfield. This is good for taking away out routes and sometimes (though its much more suspect) curls.

There is also the disguised cushion option that lets you play up tight with a WR while not pressing him which can be helpful against regular out routes though you have to click on and user the CB to have a chance.

Shading outside also helps immensly with out breaking routes.
Props. but those are just band-aids. If u hav a Ps3 we need to square off. Those God routes are no joke.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #45
Pro

baller7345's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscob
I knew you meant total offense and I still find it hard to believe. I've played enough games on default all madden and the secondary doesn't lock anyone down enough to get coverage sacks like you're describing. The run blocking is overpowering and players don't get off of blocks. What you describe and what I see are 2 completely different things
In both of those games I ran a bear front from the 3-4 and stopped the run early and when I got a big lead it was a bunch of Cover 1 at least against the Texans. I'd rush three have 2 guys covering the curl to flat area and Schaub would simply fail to find anyone open or would check down.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 2

I have had no problem with defense online or otherwise. Is everyone utilizing the pre-snap adjustments? If not, I suggest the tutorial. You can do everything from changing one player's responsibility to modifying how the pass defense plays the pass and to guessing the play pre-snap. Sure you will get burned every now and then, but you have to take the chance.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #47
Pro

baller7345's Arena

Quote:
Props. but those are just band-aids. If u hav a Ps3 we need to square off. Those God routes are no joke.
I'd love to play you but unfortunately I'm on the 360. I'll play anyone who wants to play as long as its a sim game, though it may be a few days since I don't always have access to a high speed connection.

GT: baller7345

I can't guarantee that I'll prove that defense can be played but I can certainly try. I know it isn't perfect but I don't believe its any worse than it was in 13 or 11. M11 was by far the hardest game to get stops in because everything beat man and drags were pretty much unstoppable. I pretty much had to run a Tampa 2 scheme that dropped 8 into coverage regularly just to stand a chance. That game was about getting picks more so than any Madden I've ever played.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #48
Rookie

LousyJackRanga's Arena

OVR: 0

Really struggling to stay interested in this game given the defense being terrible. Everytime the CPU gets possession it results in a long drive resulting in an easy TD with the QB completing 90% of passes and the RB averaging 7-8 yds per carry. I have tried turning the sliders down and still the same.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »