Home

Contract Bonus

This is a discussion on Contract Bonus within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16
Contract Bonus

Curious to when I should off someone a contract with a big bonus and when I should offer someone zero and reasns why?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
Rookie

jermb51's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Contract Bonus

Stats, how are they preforming for you, are you happy with them, and if not then dont resign them.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16

I was referring to that if yiu do want to sign a player how much of a bonus you give them in their contract and why.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
Zac
World-Class Diver

Zac's Arena

OVR: 1

The bonus is not part of salary, it is guaranteed money you pay out of pocket. Available funds. You give them this money up front. Per year. This keeps their salary down (over the course of the season), and your cap room down. As you only pay them the salary part of the contract over the course of the year. So that is all that is subtracted from cap room.

So if for example you want to resign your star CB and he wants a 4 year 38 million dollar contract. And you only have 6.5 million in cap funds, you will need to give him a big bonus to get that 9.5 million contract per season down under the 6.5 you currently have.

You also have to keep in mind that since bonuses are per year, if you want to then cut said CB in his 3rd year, because he is 33 now and is declining in production and you need the cap room to sign a younger player. You will take a 4 million dollar cap penalty for the next season.

It is wise to only give bonus to those that are demanding large contracts. And for those players you know you will not want to cut later. I always give good sized bonuses to key players that are 26 or younger. And only if they are the starter for that position. Never to a second string guy or an aging guy. Because I might cut that guy next season in place of the rookie I just drafted.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 1

I try never to give bonuses to anyone. It gives you more flexibility.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
Pro

Pandetta's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajra21
I try never to give bonuses to anyone. It gives you more flexibility.

The primary reason I give out bonuses, is that you can sign the player for less overall money - giving me more general financial flexibility.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »