Home

Drafting for your scheme

This is a discussion on Drafting for your scheme within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Rookie

xx13cloud's Arena

OVR: 0
Drafting for your scheme

So how much importance do people put into drafting a player that fits your scheme over a player that may be generally better? Like i run a 3-4 so if i see a 3-4 runstopper who is a 79 but a 4-3 guy that is an 84 should i still stick with the 79?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Rookie

WelshWizard's Arena

Re: Drafting for your scheme

I go for my scheme most times as no point in getting someone who just won't work. But it is flexable.

if 4-3 I want my pass rush from the 4 If I have Speed on the ends I would be willing to have more NTs types at DT rather than typical pass rushers.

With position changes there is no set scheme on each position on my OL so I look for size mainly but know what I want.

Every position is either scheme or best player depending on how specialized that position is and how much people are willing to change how they aim to play.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
Rookie

Groove74's Arena

OVR: 1

Very good question, I have been wondering the same thing? For now I generally stick with drafting players that fit my Scheme, it just seems to make the most since to me.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
MVP

infemous's Arena

OVR: 6

It depends.

I like playing it Sim, to the point where I hold myself back from potential success. I like the challenge, especially vs CPU.

In a 32 team franchise, you have to go for the better player, every time.
Adjust the scheme for the player. You run a 3-4 but can get a stud 4-3 DE?? take the stud 4-3 DE and line him up at DE and have super pass rush.

I say this because this is what most people do to get an advantage.

Its not how I like to play, but really its up to you.

If you want to create a challenging single player experience, do things to spite your team and be rigid with 'house rules'. Doing this in an online league with other players is admirable, but unless its a super strict sim league, you'll be the only one, trust me, I've learnt from experience lol
Old 09-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 1

In my offline CCM I draft most positions to match my scheme because it's too easy to simply draft the best players and kill CPU teams.

In fact, I've really become quote strict on this. I'm currently looking at OL and my scheme asks for big maulers an power run so that's all I'm scouting. I've only found five guys (a C, three G & a RT) in the up coming draft who fit these two things and I'll try to draft one at position even though I think some aren't that good. There are better OL guys but I'm trying to make CCM a little tougher this year.

For the rest of the O positions, I'll have a little more flexibility but I try to stick to power run backs and possession WRs.

Equally, I'm only drafting D players who fit my scheme. 3-4 DE who stop the run; nose tackles etc. the only D position I'm changing is CB. Currently, my scheme asks for run support guys but that will change to balanced after the first season for obvious reasons.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #6
MVP

prey2god's Arena

If you are a 3-4 scheme and you draft 4-3 olbs, you'll need to put them as DE instead and vice versa. NTs in 3-4 are usually bigger types.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:14 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by prey2god
If you are a 3-4 scheme and you draft 4-3 olbs, you'll need to put them as DE instead and vice versa. NTs in 3-4 are usually bigger types.
? 4-3 OLBs usually convert to 3-4 ILBs. 3-4 DEs are 4-3 DTs
Old 09-08-2013, 12:49 AM   #8
MVP

prey2god's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwabalicious
? 4-3 OLBs usually convert to 3-4 ILBs. 3-4 DEs are 4-3 DTs
hmmm. Please explain.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »