Home

Passing Tips

This is a discussion on Passing Tips within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Passing Tips

Does anyone have any tips for passing in Madden 25? This is the first Madden I have bought since '09 and on All Pro and especially All Madden I am having a lot of trouble passing. I seem to end a game with 50% at best and throw way too many picks.

Any tips or links to youtube video pointers or anything would be appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Passing Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRambo7
Does anyone have any tips for passing in Madden 25? This is the first Madden I have bought since '09 and on All Pro and especially All Madden I am having a lot of trouble passing. I seem to end a game with 50% at best and throw way too many picks.

I am no passing expert but I think I can at least offer some basic tips to up your completion percentage and help you cut down on some of the interceptions. Are you playing against the CPU or against users? Also, what kind of passes do you tend to throw? Are we talking a lot of 3rd and long?

One thing I like to do early in games is go for shorter completions and some screens to get your QB's confidence up. If you are trying to sling it around the yard from the beginning that is more hit or miss. What team and playbook are you using?

In terms of interceptions, try and figure out pre-snap based on where the cornerbacks are lined up if you are facing zone or man. Corner routes, deep comebacks and crossing routes can work well against man. Crossing routes, ins and streaks work better to beat zone if you time it right. If you can run the ball successfully then play action can open some opportunities also.

Mix up your play calls, flip plays, etc and see if those help too.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:38 AM   #3
Just started!

xCBKxCAMARO1979's Arena

i wouldsay just throw routes that u know beat the defense that the d is calling. i know that sounds obvious but if u dont know how to read a defense u need to lern fast that way u can get ur passing game up fast!!! if u play on 360 hmu xi rg3 nfg ix i canshow u what beats what and how to read a defense... and a lil side note i made a custom playbook for mobile qb and 2 rb teams (panthers 9ers skins) its called custompistol and all u gtta do is search my gtag and u will see it im not to proud of my defense custom
Old 09-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
Rookie

maddenmaster's Arena

Yeah I do short yardage plays. Screens, short passes, corner routes and Maybe a couple of deep routes each game.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
Rookie

Smoke route audible is fantastic if the dbs back away from the receiver. AJ Green has caught several for long gains with a quick move in space.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
Rookie

Thanks guys. I used some of these and have gotten much better over the past few weeks. A major part was reading the defense better before and during the play and knowing where my check downs are. I hadn't played a madden in a few years and was more used to being able to hit the long pass more often.

One thing I still do is get too excited and hold the receiver button down when they've beat the DB. When the qb drives the ball instead of if I tap the button it gives the defender a chance to knock down or int the pass.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerxes313
Smoke route audible is fantastic if the dbs back away from the receiver. AJ Green has caught several for long gains with a quick move in space.
What us a "smoke route"?
Old 10-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRambo7

If you are pocket passer, you should practice working in the pocket. So many times, I see a guy hike the ball and then back straight up. In my experience this allows the DEs to break free and come after you quicker. When you hike the ball just stay in the pocket and make small movements. It is amazing what routes open up. When you keep backing up the ball has further to travel and give the defender more time to get to the WR. You do have to watch for pressure up the middle sometimes, but just be patient. If you get a little pressure just try to move away with small movements. At first you kind of feel like you are going to get swallow up, but as you get more experience it isn't a big deal.

Another thing I can tell you is practice throwing the ball away (make sure to be out of the pocket). There is nothing wrong with throwing the ball away and living to see another day. Worse thing you can do is try and force a pass and it get picked off or you get hit and fumble the ball.

Last but not least. Sometimes you just have to take the sack. Don't I repeat DON"T force the ball. It is alright if you get sacked. Yeah it sucks, but at least you still have the ball (in most cases). I think that throwing the ball away or taking a sack is a lot better than throwing a pick and having them down on your side of the field.

These may seem like small things, but they are important and can make a big difference. A lot of times the small things are what can make you a great player. I am sure people will disagree on some. Some people may use a mobile qb, but for a pocket passer this has worked good for me. I was in the same boat as you. Another thing is get really comfortable with you offensive playbook. Like other said. Try to read the defense and adjust accordingly. Take your time. Don't rush your plays.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »