Home

When is Madden going to start using REAL positions?

This is a discussion on When is Madden going to start using REAL positions? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #33
MVP

CT Pitbull's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: When is Madden going to start using REAL positions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudernx
They want anyone to be able to pick up a controller and play.

For me this is such a lame excuse. EA NEEDS to stop babysitting the uninformed football fan/gamer. If they want to play video game football they should be forced to know the correct terminology used in the sport. Its NOT rocket science! They do it in FIFA and NHL so why not Madden??? If they want to dumb madden down for the casuals fine but give the hardcore fans and football fanatics a mode or even a separate game to enjoy. Make NFL Blitz or NFL STREET or NFL ARCADE for the people who don't care about true replication of the game down to the minute details.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Pittbull
For me this is such a lame excuse.
before I say one word let me preface this statement by indicating that I want a great game and I'd love to see the majority of suggestions people want on this board...Now lets be real for a moment.

If you owned a business and had to choose between making just enough money to get by year after year by selling to a small local market or making a key business decision that would take your same company global/international and make you a very wealthy person what would you honestly do?

Be honest too because If you are not already independently wealthy this is a common sense business decision. So that being said maybe rethink your originating comment. Personally none of this is rocket science...EA is a business...any well run thriving business is supposed to make money. There is not one business that can please every single person. I don't know why people don't understand that...EA is not a Social Service agency that cares about you or me...If it don't make dollars...then it don't make sense so while I may not be completely happy with EA and all they do...I understand why they do what they do.

If people would stop and think about the WHY more often they would be less spiteful and hateful concerning EA. Its ok to not be happy and its still fine to voice displeasure and concern. But when you know and accept the WHY those negative feelings come from a different place that may be more conducive to evoke change and improvement.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Pittbull
For me this is such a lame excuse. EA NEEDS to stop babysitting the uninformed football fan/gamer. If they want to play video game football they should be forced to know the correct terminology used in the sport. Its NOT rocket science! They do it in FIFA and NHL so why not Madden??? If they want to dumb madden down for the casuals fine but give the hardcore fans and football fanatics a mode or even a separate game to enjoy. Make NFL Blitz or NFL STREET or NFL ARCADE for the people who don't care about true replication of the game down to the minute details.
I agree with your point but can we please stop using soccer and hockey to compare to football as far as the intricacy of the game goes? It's apples to oranges in my book.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #36
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

OVR: 7

sorry datswag but that excuse is still LAME! They call plays "X spot"/"Z spot" they use Will/Sam in the play names on defense. Using the correct positions will NOT hamper their core target's experience what soever. They simply choose not to. If those guys started a Madden league and went into their depth chart and had X and Y Receiver instead of just WR, you think they are going to just shut the game off and not play?

Cmon man! Your defenses of EA are just over the top to me. I understand that you are saying they cater to a specific target market but that is not a valid reason for this.

And with that logic EA would NEVERRRRR fix the issue that allows for QBs to drop back as far as the user wants. They claim to have did that. If they did they will be alienating A LOT of Madden players who only know how to play Madden that way. Madden WILL be harder to pick up and play. So why is EA doing it?

REALISM!

Last edited by wordtobigbird; 10-22-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #37
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Hey, companies can create games with multiple language support....

...why can't they create a game with multiple position descriptors?

Make it an option and you can appease everyone....how hard is that?
Old 10-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #38
MVP

CT Pitbull's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rick_14
I agree with your point but can we please stop using soccer and hockey to compare to football as far as the intricacy of the game goes? It's apples to oranges in my book.

It's not the content, it's the concept. If they have hardcore guys in mind for those titles why do they not with madden?

As for your comment dat swag I agree that its all about money. BUT without pleasing guys like us who buy this game every year. Guys like us who hang on every trailer and video and tidbit of information. And guys like us who want to play REAL football, this game will fizzle out over time. Casuals are gonna come and go but people like us who buy annually is the cash that EA cant afford to KEEP losing. This is why they are moving more and more toward a sim style game. Slow as it may be progressing they are heading in that direction because in the end they KNOW where their bread is buttered.

If EA gets OUR stamp of approval they know the word of a great game will spread more and more and and drive up sales. If you look at any current social media post of a Madden tibit or video and read the comments left by the masses, most of them are negative, CRITICAL comments. That doesn't help casuals debating on whether to buy or not.

Last edited by CT Pitbull; 10-22-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclem92
I'm not sure why Madden/EA is taking the heat for this one. They may not use the "real" name of the positions, but they are using the widely accepted terms.

You don't read an ESPN article talking about the great game that Y Demaryius Thomas had; you hear about WR Demaryius Thomas. You don't set the X, Y and Z when you're playing Fantasy Football. Even the official sites for each team lists the Depth Chart using the terms QB, RB & WR. (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/depth-chart.html)

Check this 1985 Bengals/Cowboys game opener. At about 1:16 they call WR Eddie Brown a Wide Receiver, not an X.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE5Sn-DWXhE

But, yes, I would prefer if in CFM they allowed us to get that in-depth. ****, I don't even think we can substitute a Punter in as the kick holder right now. But to pin this all on Madden seems a bit unfair.
False.

Broadcasters say WR instead of X, Y or Z to dumb it down for the viewers. But in real life, if you were ever part of a football team at the high school level or above, X, Y, Z, Sam, Mike and Will are used rather than their generic "Media Friendly" names.

I was fortunate enough to be a part of a college football team. You rarely heard the term "WR" when on the practice field or during the game. If a coach needs a WR, he doesn't say WR..he says either X, Z or Y depending on who he needs to replace. And the back up X isn't always the backup to the Z or the Y. They are different positions with different roles and playbooks.

In real life, there is no such thing as a LOLB or a ROLB. Never has been. There are Weakside Outside Backers and Strongside Outside Backers. They lineup according to the TE. And they are two different positions and some struggle in switching between them. They require different abilities.

Yes, if you are watching the game from your couch, you will rarely hear the Commentators say X, Y or Z. You will hear WR and Slot. And the reason for that is because of the same exact reason why Madden doesn't use those positions....they need to make it simple for viewers of all ages and intelligence levels.

We aren't looking for "widely accpeted words". We are looking for realism and the actual positions. And those are X, Y, Z...WLB, SLB, WE, SE..

I mean no disrespect, but by your response, it is fair to say that you have never been on a football team past high school. Even high schoolers knows the real terminology.

WR is a category, or rather group of positions. It is not the specific position. Just like DB. Defensive back is not a specific position. It is a group of positions. Within the DB group, you have CB, FS, and SS. Within the WR group, you ahve X, Y and Z. Each different duties and roles requiring different strengths.

Last edited by Aztec4Life; 10-22-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat swag
I could be wrong but as I recall from my days playing as a D1 WR & DB @ Kent State Univ (Go Flashes!!):

Y - is usually a Tight End
Z - is usually the WR opposite of TE and that lines up on the LOS
X - is usually the WR in a slot position or off the LOS

Its been a while though and things could have changed
The Y is the 3rd WR.

Back in the days, when majority of teams in high school, college and NFL ran the pro style offense, there rarely were 3 wr/Spread offenses. Just about every play had either or both 2 rb and 2 TE sets. Therefore never being more than 2 Widereceivers...the X and the Z. So therefore the 3rd WR was a TE, and he was thus considered the Y.

So in packages that consisted of 2 wr's, the TE was the Y. But nowadays, teams run spread offenses with 3 wr sets. Therefore, the 3rd wr..the slot guy is the Y.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »