Home

EA won't listen, BUT just maybe if we.....

This is a discussion on EA won't listen, BUT just maybe if we..... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #17
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: EA won't listen, BUT just maybe if we.....

Changing Madden by not buying is in admirable idea an all but plenty of people are still buying it. Madden will continue on without you. Madden will change when EA Sports decides they want to change it. I understand the "show your displeasure by not purchasing it" but its pennies in the EA's bank missing in comparison to the sales they do get. Madden sales went down this year but how many were "I'm not buying it until EA changes their ways"?

I am hoping EA Sports WANTS to make a great football game not that they have to be punished financially into it. I never see that happening.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #18
MVP

Jet Sufferer's Arena

OVR: 12

Well there's a couple of things that can be done, first and foremost if sales go way down EA might not want to shell out the bucks for the license. That means if you must get an NFL fix wait to get it used.

The other thing is that the NFL and NFLPA want to get their money and EA's checks never bounce apparently.

So that leads me to the one possible out.

Perhaps if the NFL and NFLPA actually understand, or are made to understand and care that video games are not soda pop or cars, or hats, or whatever else is the "official product" of the NFL. Consumers can buy powerade instead of Gatorade, they can buy other candy bars other than Snickers or other soda's etc. that aren't the "official" NFL brand.

They need to know that the consumer is being hurt by having only one officially sponsored video game.

ESPECIALLY with the cavalier way the NFL license has been used by EA. Shipping games that can't even get proper wind direction for years as well as the other glaring errors each year. I think if they understood how poorly EA has performed since acquiring the exclusive license they might be a little more sympathetic.

I really don't think they understand the whole video game dynamic and especially the EA dynamic of what has happened here the past 9 years and what we, the football gamer has been subjected to. This product is on a par with the NBA Live series, and if they had to compete with 2K in the football arena would have likely suffered the same fate, a dead series with low sales and or cancellations.

I really think if the NFL and the NFLPA understood what was going on they would realize that the best interest of the consumer would be served by OPENING the license and charging multiple developers a fee that hopefully would match or exceed what they are getting from one company (EA) right now who puts out the most generic of products and ONLY succeeds because it has no competition.

Madden 13 and NBA 2K13 sold almost the same amount of units and the NFL is FAR MORE POPULAR, if the football game was good it would have doubled the basketball game, EASILY.

I know they want the most money for their players, but if they could look out for the consumer AND get the same amount or more money out of their license that's what they should do, because it's the RIGHT THING TO DO!

EA has taken the NFL and it's exclusive license for granted for 9 years. If anyone was paying attention they should have been pissed, but sadly most people still think video games are little toys that go blip and beep and it's not that big of a deal. Likely if you asked them they would say "yeah, we hear it's a great game".
Old 10-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #19
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Sufferer
Well there's a couple of things that can be done, first and foremost if sales go way down EA might not want to shell out the bucks for the license. That means if you must get an NFL fix wait to get it used.

The other thing is that the NFL and NFLPA want to get their money and EA's checks never bounce apparently.

So that leads me to the one possible out.

Perhaps if the NFL and NFLPA actually understand, or are made to understand and care that video games are not soda pop or cars, or hats, or whatever else is the "official product" of the NFL. Consumers can buy powerade instead of Gatorade, they can buy other candy bars other than Snickers or other soda's etc. that aren't the "official" NFL brand.

They need to know that the consumer is being hurt by having only one officially sponsored video game.

ESPECIALLY with the cavalier way the NFL license has been used by EA. Shipping games that can't even get proper wind direction for years as well as the other glaring errors each year. I think if they understood how poorly EA has performed since acquiring the exclusive license they might be a little more sympathetic.

I really don't think they understand the whole video game dynamic and especially the EA dynamic of what has happened here the past 9 years and what we, the football gamer has been subjected to. This product is on a par with the NBA Live series, and if they had to compete with 2K in the football arena would have likely suffered the same fate, a dead series with low sales and or cancellations.

I really think if the NFL and the NFLPA understood what was going on they would realize that the best interest of the consumer would be served by OPENING the license and charging multiple developers a fee that hopefully would match or exceed what they are getting from one company (EA) right now who puts out the most generic of products and ONLY succeeds because it has no competition.

Madden 13 and NBA 2K13 sold almost the same amount of units and the NFL is FAR MORE POPULAR, if the football game was good it would have doubled the basketball game, EASILY.

I know they want the most money for their players, but if they could look out for the consumer AND get the same amount or more money out of their license that's what they should do, because it's the RIGHT THING TO DO!

EA has taken the NFL and it's exclusive license for granted for 9 years. If anyone was paying attention they should have been pissed, but sadly most people still think video games are little toys that go blip and beep and it's not that big of a deal. Likely if you asked them they would say "yeah, we hear it's a great game".
As a NFL video football game player, I agree with your sentiment, but, there aren't multiple developers to make a NFL video football game. There was a EA developer that still post here, Dr. Jones, from the MVP baseball game, and he said that for the first license, the NFL discovered they could make more money from one exclusive vs multiple licenses.

Maybe the landscape has changed over the last 9 years, but, even if it has, I just don't see multiple developers running to make a licensed NFL football game. It would be great, but I just don't see it happening.

As I mentioned above, it's all about the money, not always, it's the right thing to do as evidenced by that interview in March. The NFLPA is looking out for the players first and foremost, everything else is after that.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #20
MVP

KillRoy's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
We still value the casual audience that just wants a fun game, but it is long overdue for this team to also deliver the "what I see on Sundays" game that is demanded by simulation gamers.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...or-rex-dickson

They actually deliver what we "see" on Sundays. I mean, when it comes to graphics, it is pretty authentic. But yeah, the gameplay itself is rather messed up. However, sim to you might be completely different to me. I am curious to know though... what you consider a sim? What has to be different to make it a realistic game? Some people probably do get realistic outcomes when they play this game. People that don't play the game particularly well would probably say this is the most realistic game ever.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #21
MVP

Jet Sufferer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
As a NFL video football game player, I agree with your sentiment, but, there aren't multiple developers to make a NFL video football game. There was a EA developer that still post here, Dr. Jones, from the MVP baseball game, and he said that for the first license, the NFL discovered they could make more money from one exclusive vs multiple licenses.

Maybe the landscape has changed over the last 9 years, but, even if it has, I just don't see multiple developers running to make a licensed NFL football game. It would be great, but I just don't see it happening.

As I mentioned above, it's all about the money, not always, it's the right thing to do as evidenced by that interview in March. The NFLPA is looking out for the players first and foremost, everything else is after that.
I totally get their position.

But I know the NFL is also all about "protecting the shield" above all. They are also all about competition.

I don't know how much has changed in the 9 years since the exclusive started, and I know they have no idea how EA has treated NFL fans, they're supposed to value their fans as well.

When this license comes up, perhaps they can re-evaluate their position.

They can make overtures to EA, 2K, Sony, Microsoft, etc. and I don't know the numbers but let's say EA gives them 50 million a year, perhaps there would be 5 companies willing to give them 15 million a year, or 3 companies 20 million a year etc.

Maybe EA wouldn't mind sharing the license, they already have a dedicated fan base who have proven they will buy just about anything with "NFL" printed on it (I plead guilty myself, lol).

It's just an awful situation as it stands, if EA hadn't done such a poor job on their games it wouldn't sting as much.

I USED to buy anything EA Sports sight unseen, hell if they put out a rugby or a cricket game I would buy it because in the old days it seemed they really concentrated on making good sports games.

As a consumer I went from EA Sports is making ______ game, hell yeah! sign me up, I'll be there day one, to now EA Sports is making ________ game, oh Lord help me, I hope it's not too horrible. That is THEIR FAULT, not mine. I went from the biggest EA supporter to disgusted consumer.

You and I are older and have lived through this transition, the younger gamers most of them all they know is EA Sports and are just buy Madden because it's their only option, many gamers have never played anything but Madden and can only compare Madden to Madden. They do see what other companies/studios are doing with other sports, but EA spends so much damn money on marketing and advertising that their is mass attitude channeling that EA "is" sports.

More and more people are becoming hip to what's happened to football gaming since the exclusive. Sadly, the quality of Madden has just followed the course of history for 2000 years. People with no incentive to strive for excellence will always do the minimum, you can't change human nature.

It is the rare bird that wants to fly high no matter the circumstances.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #22
MVP

Jet Sufferer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordtobigbird
Changing Madden by not buying is in admirable idea an all but plenty of people are still buying it. Madden will continue on without you. Madden will change when EA Sports decides they want to change it. I understand the "show your displeasure by not purchasing it" but its pennies in the EA's bank missing in comparison to the sales they do get. Madden sales went down this year but how many were "I'm not buying it until EA changes their ways"?

I am hoping EA Sports WANTS to make a great football game not that they have to be punished financially into it. I never see that happening.
That's easy to say it's pennies to EA if we don't buy it.

What if we ALL didn't buy it, what if millions don't buy it?

What if they only sell 10 thousand copies??

Throughout human history people have said, oh well, what can we peasants do against the King/Emperor/Dictator/Overlord, etc. Eventually, enough people band together and make it happen, against all odds.

Now Madden is not life and death, but far, far, far, greater odds have been overcome.

Time to watch Braveheart, Gladiator, and 300 again, lol.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:09 PM   #23
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

It's "couldn't" care less. Sheesh.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 10-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 3

Great post Cleave. I like you wish there was a solution but there doesn't seem to be one on the horizon. My two cents would be to try to get NFL players involved. Alot of those guys are huge Madden players and Im sure many of them share our opinions. Dont know how it would work but again just my two cents.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »