Home

For those that play coach mode - Defending the passing game

This is a discussion on For those that play coach mode - Defending the passing game within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1
For those that play coach mode - Defending the passing game

Hey guys I'm having alot of issues with defending against the CPU passing game in coach mode. It always seems like the CPU teams just destroy me with the yardage, and can just march down the field and no matter what defense I play they own me.

I've tried various slider sets as well.

1. When defending against the CPU passing game, it seems that if I pick Cover 2 or Cover 3, the flats are usually covered, but there's always "holes" in the defense and the QB (even when hurried) finds them. Is there a way to combat this?

2. How do I make sure that I have a CB covering their TE instead of one of my LB's? I know this sounds silly but I don't know how to fix this. When a LB tries to cover a TE (especially a good one), he gets owned.

3. Just to make sure I'm not crazy and ignorant (well maybe i am), but what is the major differences of Cover 2, Cover 3, Cover 4 defenses versus playing Man 2 Man? I obviously know that Cover based defenses play zones, but I find that more often than not I see defenders just sitting there waiting for a receiver to catch the ball and THEN they tackle them. They don't stick with them like in man 2 man coverage. But at the same time I find that man 2 man has it's weaknesses too.

4. What type of defense do you guys run? 4-3 (attacking or base), 3-4 (attacking or base), or some other type of defense? Also which playbook do you use?

5. How do I know what defense formation to run for a given situation? I know this is a broad question but what is a good general rule of thumb? Basically, how do I know when to play Cover 2 or Cover 3, Blitz plays or Man 2 Man?

Thank you for taking the time to answer these.

Last edited by extremeskins04; 11-04-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
Just started!

OVR: 0
Re: For those that play coach mode - Defending the passing game

Cheap jersey and very nice quality NFL Jersey just need $18.99
Order 10 pcs jerseys we provide free shipping.
Drenched Limited Version Jerseys Available Now
NFL Nlike Drift Fashion II Elite Jersey in Stock
Share our site on Facebook you can get the 5% discount code!~
We also have the customized jersey service and you can have the jersey stitched on you name and your number!
Enjoy the best online shipping experience
www dot efeelsports dot com
Old 11-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
Rookie

Herbn's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: For those that play coach mode - Defending the passing game

1. Zones will always have some sort of hole, which is why I prefer playing man. It's about knowing how to exploit it and for you to know how to cover it. Since you're playing coach, it's harder to account for the soft spots in the zone since the CPU won't do it.

2. I guess you have to play more nickel or dime packages to ensure you have more corners on the field. Not sure if you can do it in coach mode, but you can change a corner's coverage to cover a TE before the snap if you're actually playing.

They really need to have an option to have players shadow specific players. It's annoying when the no. 1 receiver moves all over the field and I can't have Talib shadow him when he does.

3. I guess your defenders don't have a high zone coverage/awareness rating. They would generally stay in their zone but move toward receivers that come into them. This is one of those areas where you have to pick your poison, but taking advantage of your strengths would be ideal. If your players are rated higher in man, play that more over zone.

4. After taking a few weeks to get the hang of the 3-4, I went from a conservative approach to a really aggressive attacking defense. I put a premium on my corners being able to play press, and I usually leave my free safety in a deep zone to help over the top or for run support while I send at least 1 extra blitzer for pressure/sacks.

5. You should improve one style (man or zone) and keep improving that for your players and stick with that for most of the time. There are so many scenarios/variables at play (personnel on both sides, down, yards for a first down, etc.) for playing defense, so it's tough to give broad rules for this.

I will switch it up to a zone from time to time (I play zone in the red zone almost exclusively and some short-yardage scenarios), but I prefer playing man. I built my team to play an aggressive man coverage defense using press to throw off timing to open up blitzes. It's been effective for me, and I have the 6th ranked defense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »