Home

Owner's Mode: Oh the potential!!!

This is a discussion on Owner's Mode: Oh the potential!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-11-2004, 01:28 AM   #1
Pro

FSU_Animal's Arena

OVR: 8
Owner\'s Mode: Oh the potential!!!

Madden Mania Thread
Click Me if you want to see where I originated from!!

I wrote something in the above thread that lead to the making of this thread.

Note: This topic was going to be posted in MaddenMania as well, but their server keeps acting up. My initial plan was to post this in every forum I post at that deals with Madden so people know where I'm coming from. In the end, it will be posted everywhere, not just here, because I want people to really think about this idea and try pushing it up the EA Sports chain of command. I want the most out of my games as I'm sure most of you do as well. So please take heed that this post is extremely lengthy, but a amazing well thought out (yep, I actually used my brain) idea on how EA Sports could drastically improve the quality of their game. This will only deal with an aspect of Owner's Mode.

EA Sports is attempting to make a completely realistic simulation of the NFL, are they not? So why not just completely do away with the number system for the ratings? No, I do not mean completely toss out the system. I just mean to HIDE them from the user. It is in my opinion, and I am sure it is in most everyone's thoughts that numbers are attractive. For example, when looking at Michael Vick in free agency, we see his OVR is a 95. Currently, my QB is Quincy Carter who has an OVR of 84 (updated Struttdaddy Roster). That OVR 95 seems pretty attractive too me as well as to you, now don't it? Get my point? Instead, we should base all of our decisions on scouting reports.

This year's Madden 2004 brought us Owner's Mode which gives the user almost complete control over their franchise. However, they completely forgot, either intentionally or accidently, about the importance of having a scouting department. Why EA did not allow the user the ability to hire a scouting department is beyond me. To me, the scouting department is one of the most intrigal part of any sports franchise in today's era of sports.

I suggest EA Sports to now do away with allowing the user to see numbered attributes. That's right, you heard correctly. Instead, the user will have to make a wise decision on what scouting department and what style of coaches they want for their team. The Owner (the user) should have complete access to reports about each scouting department and all coaches rather than relying on numbered ratings. This simulates the struggle each owner faces in real life when choosing their scouting department and coaching staff. For example, Dallas desperatly needs a halfback. Our scouting department seems to lack in knowing what to look for in a halfback. So we decide to hire a scouting department that has brought in many starting halfbacks. We based our decision, as the owner to, to hire a scouting department all on what the report said rather than numbered ratings.

The second part to this system is to rely on actual numbers, not attribute numbers for each player when making player personnel decisions. It is way too easy as the gm/owner of a team to build a team based on ratings. If EA wants to simulate realistic competition amongst the user team, why not hide what the actual ratings are and force us to learn to how to build a team by allowing us to read scouting reports about not only scouting departments and coaches, but also the players. As I mentioned in one of my examples above, numbers are attractive, especially high numbers. When you see a QB rated an OVR 95 in the free agency pool and you have a QB rated an OVR 84, you'll immediatly want to sign that player. But what if we could not actually see his ratings, forcing us to read reports that differ based on how good your scouting department and coaches are? Would you not agree that basing your personnel decisions on the reports you receive from your coaches and scouting department would make you feel like you are in the driver's seat of an actual team? EA wants to simulate the real NFL, so I would have to agree that this would cause alot of us to really think about our decisions.

An Example Scenario of How This System Would Work:

Coach Parcells is a clock control style of coach. The Dallas Cowboys are in dire need of a halfback to control the clock with. Since Troy Hambrick could not prove he was worth the keep, Dallas will be searching for a halfback either by way of Free Agency or the Draft.

You, playing Jerry Jones, are not happy with your scouting department as they have not shown the ability to scout runningbacks. So you search through the list of scouting departments and pull up a report about the "Scouts 4 Hire" scouting department. When you pull up their report, instead of seeing numbered attribute ratings depicting how good they are, you see an actual report about this "Scouts 4 Hire" department. Within this report, you see they have brought in about 30 starting halfbacks within the last 4 years. As years progress, those numbers could change if they continue to bring in more starting halfbacks. Well, based on this report, you can pretty much rely on their reports about halfbacks. These reports would be pretty accurate since they rely on actual statistical facts. So you make the decision to hire "Scouts 4 Hire" in hopes of bring in a starting-material halfback.

The scouting department would send back reports on rookies entering the draft, players on other teams, and players in the free agency pool. Let's pretend Dallas has the 5th draft pick in the 2004 draft, Corey Dillon is in free agency, and Warrick Dunn wants out of Atlanta. During the rookie scouting period, the scouting combine numbers (like 40 time, shuttle, and cone drills) would be actual facts. However, if looking at Eli Manning (if we were after a QB), we would not see Amazing for Arm Strength or Amazing for Pass Accuracy. Instead, in place of Strength, we would see an average distance he threw the ball. In place of Accuracy, we would see a percentage of passes complete. For the testing part, in place of "Amazing, Great, etc...", we would see an actual test score out of whatever the highest possible. Then below all of this, we would see actual scouting reports based on what your scouting department saw from this player. Of course, depending on how good they are at scouting a certain position, the results would vary.

Now back to Corey Dillon in free agency and Warrick Dunn wanting out of Atlanta. Instead of only seeing what the scouts views are on the player, we could also decide to view what your head coach, offensive coach, defensive coach, or special teams coach thinks about these players. Based on how well your head coach, offensive coach, defensive coach, and/or special teams coach is at knowing what to look for in a halfback, their views would vary. Of course, if you ask a Special Teams coach that has no idea about halfbacks, they would not give you fake information. However, to build realism into it, I guess everyonce in a while, a special teams coach would try to give you a report on the player(s).

Another decision you would have to make as the owner is hiring a coaching staff. Like the scouting department reports, you would see reports on the coaches you are considering hiring. As Jerry Jones, Maurice Carthon decides to leave to another team, so you are in need of an offensive coordinator. So you could either promote/demote a coach, or look in the the coaching directory and pull up reports on all of the coaches. Inside these reports we would see actual facts like "has brought offensive talentless teams into the Top 5 in total offense, rushing offense, and/or passing offense. We could also read that his ability to guide no-name halfbacks into perrenial star halfbacks. On top of all of that, we see his win-loss-tie record no matter what kind of coach they were (Head, OC, DC, SPT). So we hire the coach we want.

Now comes the rookie draft. Should we draft Stephen Jackson or attempt to trade for Dunn or sign Dillon? We would have to base this decision by what reports we have read and make a decision on what we should do.

Currently, we see the attributes rise and fall after the season/pre-season. Since the ratings would actually be hidden, we would see the factual stats rise and fall. Looking at the scouting report on Travis Minor, we see that his 40 time has dropped from a 4.31 to a 4.45. That is still a pretty good number of how fast he is, but we see a realistic simulation of what a team has to base their decisions on instead of seeing a 95 for speed (no, Minor doesn't have a 95 speed in Madden...just using it as an example).

Another use for the coaches and scouting department would be to pull up pre-game scouting reports of your opponent (only the opponent you play next, not future opponents). This gives you, the coach/gm/owner, the ability to actually gameplan against a team rather than having an empty feeling that this game is just another pixellated game.

You can post your thoughts and questions now. Thanks for your time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2004, 09:32 AM   #2
Plays well in Tennessee

Klue516's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Owner\'s Mode: Oh the potential!!!

WOW, i really think your going somewhere with this. Well written, well thought out, and huge game changing ideas for Madden or any other football game that would like to give it a shot. One thing that i would like to question you on is this one question you asked about EA:
Quote:

EA Sports is attempting to make a completely realistic simulation of the NFL, are they not?

Do you really believe EA is trying to make the most realistic simulation of the NFL in their videogames or are they trying to build a game that caters to everyone and anyone who likes football gaming; theirfor, they would make a much higher profit?

BTW, great ideas by the way, and if i were you...i'll find a way to get these ideas copyrighted if it were even possible so you could receive some credit
Old 02-11-2004, 11:34 AM   #3
Pro

FSU_Animal's Arena

Quote:

Klue516 said:
WOW, i really think your going somewhere with this. Well written, well thought out, and huge game changing ideas for Madden or any other football game that would like to give it a shot. One thing that i would like to question you on is this one question you asked about EA:
Quote:

EA Sports is attempting to make a completely realistic simulation of the NFL, are they not?

Do you really believe EA is trying to make the most realistic simulation of the NFL in their videogames or are they trying to build a game that caters to everyone and anyone who likes football gaming; theirfor, they would make a much higher profit?

BTW, great ideas by the way, and if i were you...i'll find a way to get these ideas copyrighted if it were even possible so you could receive some credit

I agree with you that EA wants to make the most money they can. It is in my opinion that there are two types of gamers who include sports in their titles played: Blitz Style Gamers and Simulation Style Gamers.

Blitz Style Gamers are very limited to how much they can do and will generally become bored with the repetive gameplay, therefore putting the game on the shelf to collect dust.

Simulation Style Gamers are given more options, therefore increasing the the replayability factor. If there is a replayability factor, the gamer will continue to come back for more, rather than put the game on the shelf to collect dust.

EA Sports wants to appeal to the casual gamer, but if they were to continue putting out a game that they claim simulates the way the NFL and the sport is played, their fan base will begin to dwindle. In order to keep your fan base growing, you must meet the demand of the consumers, yet not to the full 100%. They way EA markets and produces their games is ingenious. If they were to meet their customer's demand 100% every year, they would soon run out of ideas for their game. All they would do is upgrade rosters, fix the bugs, and whatnot. Since they keep out all sorts of ideas, they are causing their fan base to continue to coming back for more, they need to give a reason to come back for more.

Of course, they could always allow the user to toggle the hidden ratings ON/OFF before the start of a franchise.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:47 AM   #4
--------------

dieselboy's Arena

OVR: 21

Creative idea, but I don't think all that many people will be on board.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:34 PM   #5
Pro

FSU_Animal's Arena

Quote:

dieselboy said:
Creative idea, but I don't think all that many people will be on board.

Explain to me your reason for thinking that please.

Firs, let me explain my reason why I think people would be on board for this idea.

Are Madden gamers not complaining about how it is all too easy to build a team? The main reason for that is because people base their decisions to build their teams based on the ratings they see. In real life, no NFL Franchise Owner has access to ratings like that. Instead, they base their reasoning for signing/drafting a player on notes from their scouts and coaches. They also base their decisions on actual numbers, not fictional numbers that dictate how fast they are. Now, between ESPN, EA, Gameday, and Fever, all claim to create the most realistic simulation of the sport. Considering that no one actually uses the idea that I listed above, would it not be great marketing to actually create a game where the user must base their decisions on notes from the scouts, coaches, and actual numbers like the player's 40 time? Instead of taking Michael Vick just because he is rated a 95 OVR, you could base your decisions on what you "WANT", not what number you see. We would have to take real life numbers every year instead of some number that supposedly means they have a 95 speed. What exactly is 95 speed? When you are running a sprint, do the judges tell you that you run have a 95 SPD rating, or do they tell you what your actual time was? I believe it's the latter unless you are from some sort of fantasy world.

Don't get me wrong. I highly doubt a system this elaborate will be available next year, but as the years progress, the fan base trend is to continue demanding for more and more realism. In the beginning of the EA Sports Madden franchise, fans were just wanting to play games. As the years progressed, the fan base started to demand more and more from their game. EA began to concur and every year there would be more demands from the customers. In order to keep your fans and bring in more fans, you must have the best product. If EA continues to use a system like they have now, the fan base will begin to branch off towards the other game (ESPN) because of how willing they are to listen to their customers and meet their demands. Common sense in business management is to wet the customer's appetite just enough to bring them back for the next season. EA does that by meeting some of their customer's demands, taking some old ideas out, and promising other ideas for the next season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2004, 04:19 PM   #6
Itsy Bitsy Spider

kodiak's Arena

OVR: 18

I love that idea. Leave it to a fellow Nole to come up with something like that. The possibilties are endless with this. I would also like them to add this in NCAA as well. Awesome idea and I hope you, we, or whoever can, will be able to reach EA and get this started so in 05(the year, not the game) we will have this.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:52 PM   #7
Pro

FSU_Animal's Arena

Quote:

kodiak said:
I love that idea. Leave it to a fellow Nole to come up with something like that. The possibilties are endless with this. I would also like them to add this in NCAA as well. Awesome idea and I hope you, we, or whoever can, will be able to reach EA and get this started so in 05(the year, not the game) we will have this.

I don't think it has anything to do with the fact I'm a 'Noles' Fan. I went through the first day of a Microsoft Access class and my whole head was bursting with ideas. The original post was supposed to be alot shorter, but then the idea just kept flowing. By the way, I am a huge stats freak and Excel was my favorite program before I went through the first day of Access class. Basically, I give credit to that class that fueled my brain into First-Person Thinking Mode.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:53 PM   #8
MVP

choadler's Arena

OVR: 14

Good idea. However, they already do that in Front Office Football. You see ratings, but based on the scout that you have hired and his abilities. You don't know if the ratings are completely accurate. You would have to watch their stats to see if what the scout is telling you is true. They do that in Out of the Park baseball as well. The use a star system based on the abilities of the scouting department. Works pretty well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »