Home

Will the Madden Franchise ever be #2 again?

This is a discussion on Will the Madden Franchise ever be #2 again? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-04-2004, 09:30 AM   #25
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Will the Madden Franchise ever be #2 again?

Quote:

USF11 said:
No,thats really really funny. Not to make fun of visual concepts because I do like their Pro basketball games over EA's.But I stillhave no idea why people like the NFLK/Espn series. I mean theirs just something about how the players move that makes me not like it at all.

Change of Direction or Turning on a Dime (one-foot 180 degree pivoting)....its been a common complaint about espnfl/nfl2k for awhile now. Hopefullly VC does something to correct it this year. IMo they MUST do something to correct it. If they do make that correction, ESPNFL's gameplay would see a huge upgrade and probably attract more new fans to the series.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2004, 09:41 AM   #26
All Star

Quote:

Kanobi said:
Quote:

USF11 said:
No,thats really really funny. Not to make fun of visual concepts because I do like their Pro basketball games over EA's.But I stillhave no idea why people like the NFLK/Espn series. I mean theirs just something about how the players move that makes me not like it at all.

Change of Direction or Turning on a Dime (one-foot 180 degree pivoting)....its been a common complaint about espnfl/nfl2k for awhile now. Hopefullly VC does something to correct it this year. IMo they MUST do something to correct it. If they do make that correction, ESPNFL's gameplay would see a huge upgrade and probably attract more new fans to the series.

If they make that change and fine-tune the franchise/roster management portion then it will probably get more PT than Madden for me.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:32 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

The only way Madden ever won't be #1 is if they release a flat out bad game. Right now, I don't think even the biggest Sega fanboy would try and say Madden is a bad game, just not as good as ESPN. If people still enjoy Madden then they won't bother trying something else.

And those sales numbers show that Sega didn't outsell Madden on Xbox. They slightly outsold them in September, the month that ESPN came out. Madden's August sales, killed ESPN's September sales. And on PS2 the gap was mind boggling.

Right now, there isn't much of a competition. I doubt ESPN will ever compete. Sega doesn't have the resources to compete financially, and if VC ever gets bought by another company it would probably be Microsoft. No way you could win the sales wars without the PS2.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:03 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 10

Earlier I posted that Madden was Coke, and ESPN was Faygo. I stand by that. Madden has become bigger than a video game. Its become a way of life almost. Its part of our popculture. It would sell with almost no advertising. The only way EA could screw that up, is if they released a completely inferior title in every way, or simply didnt release a game at all.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:39 PM   #29
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

Quote:

scamden311 said:
Madden has become bigger than a video game. Its become a way of life almost. Its part of our popculture. It would sell with almost no advertising. The only way EA could screw that up, is if they released a completely inferior title in every way, or simply didnt release a game at all.

IMO, VC, has realized this and thats why they focus so much on game development and not marketing. They probably didn't have a choice though sine Sega really didn't give them much of a marketing budget to work in the first place. Either way, as long Sega/VC continue to make profit and keep the espnfl series rolling they'll get my 50 bucks each year for sure. ESPNFL is an awesome game that just needs more support through advertising...especially television.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:39 PM   #30
Plays well in Tennessee

Klue516's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:

Kanobi said:
Quote:

scamden311 said:
Madden has become bigger than a video game. Its become a way of life almost. Its part of our popculture. It would sell with almost no advertising. The only way EA could screw that up, is if they released a completely inferior title in every way, or simply didnt release a game at all.

IMO, VC, has realized this and thats why they focus so much on game development and not marketing. They probably didn't have a choice though sine Sega really didn't give them much of a marketing budget to work in the first place. Either way, as long Sega/VC continue to make profit and keep the espnfl series rolling they'll get my 50 bucks each year for sure. ESPNFL is an awesome game that just needs more support through advertising...especially television.

I and the rest of the ESPN OSers players have to agree with this post.....ESPN football will continue to take $50 from my budget
Old 04-04-2004, 10:36 PM   #31
--------------

dieselboy's Arena

OVR: 21

Will the Madden Franchise ever be #2 again?

No.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2004, 11:14 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:

jmood88 said:

Espn outsold madden on the xbox but on the ps2 it got killed.

Consider the fact that most PS2 owners grew up playing madden on the playstation.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »