Home

VG Sports E3 Madden Impressions Here

This is a discussion on VG Sports E3 Madden Impressions Here within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2004, 02:00 AM   #33
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: VG Sports E3 Madden Impressions Here

Nice read for the most part I liked everything I read. Cant wait to hear more.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:30 AM   #34
ADW
Pro

OVR: 6

I'm curious to see how the formation shifting is implemented. How some college and pro teams do it in real life is you'll get a huddle call something like "Green Over to Red Right Slot Zoom 682 F Angle". Basically what would then happen is the first sound the quarterback makes is a signal for the skill players to shift from the Green Over formation (weak normal in Madden) to a Red Right Slot (pro form in Madden). The next phase of the play the Zoom is the motion by the Z receiver to a slot position. The quarterback would then continue his cadence and the offense would run the play 682 F Angle. Basically when a team shifts formations they aren't changing the original play call, just the formation. Basically it's window dressing by the offense to throw off the defensive recognition of the upcoming play. Joe Gibbs' old Washington Redskins did this on nearly every snap during his first tenure with the Skins. As mentioned in the article Tampa Bay also does quite a bit of formation shifting along with various types of motions.

I'm also curious if the offensive line play has improved and if the effectiveness of the zone defenses has been improved, especially the cover 2 and 3 defenses.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:46 AM   #35
Banned

OVR: 21

Nice post, seanmac. I pretty much feel the same way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2004, 09:56 AM   #36
Legend

Shaver's Arena

OVR: 27

VG is a VERY good set of guys who know a lot about football and football gaming. Yes, they do release a guide for Madden, but they are very honest with their opinions.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:01 AM   #37
GATA

bdunn13's Arena

OVR: 19

Nice impressions there... got me pumped.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:09 AM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 4

Did anyone else notice the line. "You cannot put defensive ends in at defensive tackle. That means getting pressure up the gut between LG and C with a fast end isn't going to happen in Madden 2005" Why not? Go ahead and tell this to most NFL coaches. Isn't it somewhat common for D linemen to shift positions, especially on passing downs? I remember Bruce Smith lining up all over the place to create mismatches. This type of thing is typical of the EA sports & Madden phylosophy. Sorry, moving players around is part of the real game. Good coaches look to find advantages and exploit weaknesses. Instead of limits, why not make sure the game engine is based on real life physics and then create an intutative AI that can tie the package together. Then real like abilities and stratagy will dictate play and guide what players do instead of a game engine that relies on AI cheats and pre-scripted animation secquences.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:48 AM   #39
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40

Quote:

Brassman said:
Did anyone else notice the line. "You cannot put defensive ends in at defensive tackle. That means getting pressure up the gut between LG and C with a fast end isn't going to happen in Madden 2005" Why not? Go ahead and tell this to most NFL coaches. Isn't it somewhat common for D linemen to shift positions, especially on passing downs? I remember Bruce Smith lining up all over the place to create mismatches. This type of thing is typical of the EA sports & Madden phylosophy. Sorry, moving players around is part of the real game. Good coaches look to find advantages and exploit weaknesses. Instead of limits, why not make sure the game engine is based on real life physics and then create an intutative AI that can tie the package together. Then real like abilities and stratagy will dictate play and guide what players do instead of a game engine that relies on AI cheats and pre-scripted animation secquences.

I thought it said you could but the player rating would drop?
Old 05-13-2004, 01:00 PM   #40
MVP

OVR: 16

Wow! Great job VG! I love a preview that addresses specific points in the game. I applaud you for investigating these various things - as you normally don't get this level of depth in a preview.

Jordan - I don't know where you get off acting like the guys at VG are somehow accountable to you to write a "balanced" preview. If they want to write a preview based on their take on 90 specific things they are looking for in the game - there are tons of guys on this board who are happy to read it. Get off their backs man - we're grateful for information at this level of detail.

I am really enthusiastic about the training camp battles for jobs - and how the stats will settle this. The preseason in Pittsburgh is always done this way. You have the media following the various stats of the players, and - inevitably, some of the second or third string guys end up with better stats than a starter. All of a sudden - the fans and the media start calling for the back-up to start. We had this last preseason with an undrafted free agent running back who had great numbers in the preseason games (I can't even remember the guy's name, because he dropped off the face of the earth once the season started), and this has happened several times in the past with our quarterbacks. In fact, if Rothlisberger has a great preseason - the media and the fans will be calling for Maddox's head. It sounds like this will be included in Madden 2005. I can't wait!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »