Home

madden 05 starting to worry me

This is a discussion on madden 05 starting to worry me within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 06:54 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: madden 05 starting to worry me

Quote:

tzeno said:
Not flaming guys, just my 2 cents, which is about all it's worth...

I look forward to this conversation each and every year... with a sense of dread. It's even funnier now that I'm a programmer in the USAF, which with my particular job is probably a tad bit harder than programming a video game (imagine modifying code from the early '60s written in an archaic programming language). Anyway, before getting to my point, if there's any military people reading this, a big shot out.

Now, to my point, someone always makes a statement of their opinion about which game they think is better. Then the various fans of each game enter with their opinions. It then becomes a fanboy shouting match with people determined to either convince the other side or ridicule them to shame. The reason I feel this is pointless is: Preference. Nothing to do with brand loyalty, I just personally prefer Madden more. Sega could add in exactly every feature from Madden with better graphics, better anouncing, league expansions, suplemental drafts, a combine feature, and Carmen Electra's naked butt dancing on the screen after touchdowns, and I would still buy Madden. Why? Brand loyalty? No. The reason is, I just don't like Sega's gameplay. Last year, I liked the first person mode, this year I'll like the pregame preperations part. In high school, that was actually my favorite thing about playing football. So, I will borrow or rent 2K5, might even buy it just to play through a few features, but I'll give it a try just like every year and if the gameplay is not changed, I won't like it, just like every year. And I'm certain that ESPN fans will feel the same exact way I feel about the game they prefer. And then there are some that will be in between. This is a point in which none of us are right and none of us are wrong.

Now, just a side statement. A lot of the problems some of you have with Madden, I just don't have. I don't know if it's my style of play or the fact that I rarely play against other people, but I haven't seen the drop back 20 yards and roll side to side thingy since the mid 90s. Also, I think it's strange that people always ask for an overhaul of the Madden system year after year. Why? In my opinion, all that is needed are tweaks. From a programming standpoint, overhauling is considered a big "no-no". For a to-the-extreme example, it is actually better and more usable to just modify the 60s code we work on than to overhaul the system and rewrite everything in a modern language. Just out of curiousity though, what do those of you who say they are just "tweaking" mean? I mean, I feel that the changes they are making are above what we normally see.

thats a very good point.to alot of my friends it does'nt matter what sega, 989, or whoever ,their not giving up on ea games period.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2004, 01:47 AM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 2

My 2 cents/ I started out playing madden on nes...had many rival games against my cuz, actually it started with gameday99, anyway the one thing i always said to him during the game was ( they can do better}.. maybe im just never satisfied, but every year i buy either madden or VC... i switched from madden to 2k when the dreamcast came out, because they did & continue to make real improvments, then after 2k2 i switched back to madden, IMO madden was better that yr, gameplay wise & still is so far, but in the end i always wind up saying ( damn when they gonna fix this or that ) mainly on def, cause i like to play D. yo know like when the DB watch's the WR catch the ball before he decides to pursue. But i always look forward to the next best FB game with the improvements whomever makes it,VC, EA, 989 etc, cause i want the best gameplay, i'll take gameplay over most evrything else about the games. Right now im drooling & hoping that EA comes through with the def changes they made ( one of the things i been saying , better coverage schemes with the db's ) i just cant wait. One more thing, I played in a madden tourny & i didn't do to well against M,Vick running all over the place, 20yrds here 15 there, but i blamed it on the default AL, IMO it sucks, i always play on all madden level & to me playing on default is like playing rookie. Just my 2 cents...My wife told me one day when she heard me curse the game ( honey if they fixed eevrything with the game now , then no one would buy it next year ) LOL ...women but she's probaly right.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:38 AM   #43
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:

oldschool said:
( honey if they fixed eevrything with the game now , then no one would buy it next year ) LOL ...women but she's probaly right.

Unfortunately, I think this is the thinking of many companies, as you see them make cosmetic changes to the game before using up the engine and then starting completely over. I would actually rather see games have a two year life span with roster updates throughout if it meant more time to actually implement improvements to the gameplay, but hey that's just me.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:57 AM   #44
Rookie

Rekkapryde's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:

lordsin said:
Quote:

oldschool said:
( honey if they fixed eevrything with the game now , then no one would buy it next year ) LOL ...women but she's probaly right.

I would actually rather see games have a two year life span with roster updates throughout if it meant more time to actually implement improvements to the gameplay, but hey that's just me.

PREACH ON!!!

I agree to the fullest. But wouldn't they have to change the game's name?
Old 06-11-2004, 10:06 AM   #45
MVP

wildcatchild's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:

jordan0386 said:
you gotta cut that out wsb

heres my stance:

there will be only 3 football games available within the next yr...so who in their right mind will not play all three...its not possible for one game to hold your attention for 7-8 months on its own merits...yr to yr sports games dont have longevity like that

We are so spoiled! I remember the Sega Genesis days. Loved 'em. Any Madden game is better than no Madden game!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2004, 01:19 PM   #46
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

wildcatchild said:
Quote:

jordan0386 said:
you gotta cut that out wsb

heres my stance:

there will be only 3 football games available within the next yr...so who in their right mind will not play all three...its not possible for one game to hold your attention for 7-8 months on its own merits...yr to yr sports games dont have longevity like that

We are so spoiled! I remember the Sega Genesis days. Loved 'em. Any Madden game is better than no Madden game!

any football game is better than no football game. if another game, IMO, is drastically better than Madden then that Madden game with the polish and great franchise and stats isn't better than no madden IMO. When there's compition big companies like EA should step up to make the consumer happy. It appears they're actually trying to do that this year but they've also lied in the past before so as for right now they're at least talking about the right things. There was little to no mention of defensive upgrades this time last year.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:35 PM   #47
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

wildcatchild- what I have to say is nothing tworads you at all, but Im so sick and tired of hearing about how we are so spoiled about this and that, I sick of hearing it, were aren't spoiled about anything at all Its 2004 and these game are supose to be better then when we played them back in the late 80 early 90, this is the future and some people keep living in the past bye saying I would be happy with the old games, I wouldn't I want the new things to keep up with our time.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:39 PM   #48
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:

FootballForever said:
wildcatchild- what I have to say is nothing tworads you at all, but Im so sick and tired of hearing about how we are so spoiled about this and that, I sick of hearing it, were aren't spoiled about anything at all Its 2004 and these game are supose to be better then when we played them back in the late 80 early 90, this is the future and some people keep living in the past bye saying I would be happy with the old games, I wouldn't I want the new things to keep up with our time.

I gotta agree with wildcatchild. You dudes are spoiled. Spoiled all to hell.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »