Home

20 new vids and 20 screenshots

This is a discussion on 20 new vids and 20 screenshots within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-02-2004, 10:01 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: 20 new vids and 20 screenshots

Oh, and I absolutely hate the fact that players continue to use the Playmaker feature three times before every snap. That's not football, that's junk. Thank goodness that NCAA hasn't included this "upgrade" and has in fact instilled a mechanism to curb audibling and hot routing altogether.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:03 PM   #10
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

OVR: 16

Seeing Jake scramble 15 yards deep and toss for completition was disheartening, but watching some of the later falcons/49ers vids, vick throws some terrible passes across his body. A couple land 10 yards short, so there is some hope.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:05 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:

seanmac said:
Oh, and I absolutely hate the fact that players continue to use the Playmaker feature three times before every snap. That's not football, that's junk. Thank goodness that NCAA hasn't included this "upgrade" and has in fact instilled a mechanism to curb audibling and hot routing altogether.

You don't watch much football then. Ever seen Peyton Manning at the line? It's like a million audibles.

In the real NFL, the receivers generally make their own hot reads/routes based on coverage and QB audibles. Since you cannot play all of the positions in a game, they give the QB the option to do the same thing in video games. It is realistic and games would suck and be unrealistic if this feature was not included.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2004, 10:08 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 4

Looks good, alot better then previous years.
I like how the playcalling screen is alot cleaner, graphics look a hell of alot better.

Momentum looks toned down which is a +, & I always like there tackels
Also the running animations & etc. look alot smmother/better tha Espn football.

I'm really impressed by these videos, they look great.

Now the problem I have is the damn commentating, never liked Madden.
I do think that as of right now ESpn & Madden will be alot better than last year & that's a plus.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:11 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:

mudtiger said:
Seeing Jake scramble 15 yards deep and toss for completition was disheartening, but watching some of the later falcons/49ers vids, vick throws some terrible passes across his body. A couple land 10 yards short, so there is some hope.

Yeaeh that Jake throw wasnt real. But if u look at the other vids when the QB drop s back to far he gets sacked or its a incomplete. Also if u look at the screen shot the player faces look alot more life like compare to last year. I dont want to judge the game to much because Im not the playing.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:18 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

Im more concerned with the idiotic play of the db's if you look at some of those vids the db's turn the wrong way and dont even compete for the ball I think corner routes and post patterns are still going to be pretty much money all the time.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:19 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:

Daudr said:
Quote:

seanmac said:

You don't watch much football then. Ever seen Peyton Manning at the line? It's like a million audibles.

In the real NFL, the receivers generally make their own hot reads/routes based on coverage and QB audibles. Since you cannot play all of the positions in a game, they give the QB the option to do the same thing in video games. It is realistic and games would suck and be unrealistic if this feature was not included.

I watch a ton of football, thank you. And what Peyton Manning does has very little to do with the Playmaker feature. For starters, Manning spends most of his time sending out dummy signals. When he is making adjustments, they are generally closer to what ESPN models- selecting between a run and pass option out of the same formation-than they are to multiple hot routing. Yes, receivers make adjustments at the line as does the quarterback, but no team could physically get away with the massive number of play changing elements that occur before virtually every snap in a typical Madden game- they would false start or end up with a delay of game penalty on nearly every play.

In fact, as often as not, teams get to the line with about five seconds to hike the ball, not the thirty seconds they have in Madden. There simply is no way for them to do the pre-snap chicanery. It's a joke.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2004, 10:28 PM   #16
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Just a couple thoughts:

-Noticed quite a few new post-play player anims, which I like and add to the realism. They occur as they should in real life, rather than waiting before the player to get up before they occur like in the past.

-Defense seems to be a mixed bag. Sometimes, I feel the D is spot-on, other times too powerful, and yet other times untouched from 2004.

-The fan cutscenes, while a nice touch, aren't exactly up to snuff with the competition. With that said, it's a step in the right direction, and I'm sure the Create-A-Fan feature will allow EA to put their own spin on things to avoid direct copycatting that so many complain about.

-Seemed to be reminiscent of 2004, at least watching it; I'm not referring to the shortfalls of 2004 here, but the general atmosphere, commentary, animations, playbooks, etc. etc. Maybe EA felt these areas didn't mean much change, but personally I have some issues with certain aspects of these features. Exception is that the graphics are noticably and significantly better than before.

-That one line about the missed hit-stick tackle could get real repetitive real fast. Just watching these videos, it seems like every time someone misses a hit-stick tackle, Madden goes into his schpiel about no one textbook-tackling anymore.

These are just my observations. Obviously the major issues, such as gameplay problems from last year being addressed, cannot be fully observed until we actually get to play the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »