Home

10 First Impressions.

This is a discussion on 10 First Impressions. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 11:52 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: 10 First Impressions.

Great Impressions
Old 08-08-2004, 11:54 PM   #10
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz50
There is a topic for impressions. Most of it was nitpicking, so I don't know how you came to the conclusion ESPN was better from reading that. Also, ESPN has bugs that completely ruin frachise, if I ever play it again it will be online only.
no skillz..do you even know what nitpicking is? it is to find fault in insignificant details

Quote:
The QB animations are terrible. EA gets props for implementing a drop-back system, but the throws look horrid compared to the competition. No stepping into the throw at all. Also, sometimes the CPU QB sets up in the pocket facing the wrong way. Looks knda' silly when McNabb is in the pocket scanning the opponents sideline or an open reciever. The ball also comes out at wierd angles. Looks like the QB isn't calibrated to where the ball is being thrown. I replayed one throw, and the ball was actually pointed vertically(nose of the ball pointed directly down) when he released it.

Quote:
Pinball physics still rule the interior running. Madden is in DIRE need of animations for interacting with the line. This is made even more apparent because VC was able to implement a ton of lovely cutback, bounce-out, and push-the-pile interactions, and EA still gives you the same bumpercar effect in a pile.
Insignificant ?

the game is GOOD but not great. A great game should have a good balance in graphics, sound, gameplay and presentation.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:57 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 18

good for you skillz

i still think espn wins the football game of the year though...they just made more improvements

i dont look at the defensive stuff in madden as that much of improvements...or something they had no choice in doing before their game got stale

everyone is gonnapick their game regardless...but with the mags and internets sites...i think espn will rack up the awards
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2004, 11:59 PM   #12
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan0386
so are you saying, like, one out of every five tackles, may have a "gang" animation...or is it still completely random, to an extent of not seeing it, for the whole game?
Like last year, if there are 2 tacklers in the immediate area when your being tackled it will automatically link into a 2-man. They look real nice, but you can't come in and affect the play mid-animation like 2K. Strangely, I don't really miss it all that badly. I thought that would be a major shortcoming, but the 2 man's happen frequently enough to hide the 1-on-1 tackle physics.

Its all good.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:02 AM   #13
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21

Fantastic take on the game, HMcCoy. Your impressions sound like finally, and I mean finally, EA spent more time on football this year and less on worrying solely on franchise. That's been a beef of mine, and it was the reason I barely touched it last year.

ESPN has me so damn frustrated. It does so many things so incredibly well, then it gets simple "football" things so wrong. Stats, onsides kicks, DB reactions, etc, plus the same jacked up glitches on interceptions in the end zone and stuff that's been in VC's game for years. I hope this offseason, VC will take their almost earth-shattering game, and get the football rules and stats correct.

I'm keeping ESPN, but I can't wait for Madden tomorrow.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:03 AM   #14
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan0386
good for you skillz

i still think espn wins the football game of the year though...they just made more improvements

i dont look at the defensive stuff in madden as that much of improvements...or something they had no choice in doing before their game got stale

everyone is gonnapick their game regardless...but with the mags and internets sites...i think espn will rack up the awards
i think madden is more of a marketing product. they are more in it for the money. the improvement in madden makes depends on the cover athlete. vick resulted in playmaker and Ray-ray - hit stick.if next year Orlando Pace is their cover athlete, we will have Revolutionary super blocker, real pancakes and realistic holding penalties. I can wait for Adam Vinitieri (sp) is the cover athlete. Every game will somehow end with a field goal and feel like the superbowl.

Last edited by Dapo; 08-09-2004 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:06 AM   #15
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21

HMcCoy, one thing that has always frustrated me about Madden is how NCAA beat its butt so badly in terms of atmosphere and immersiveness. Is Madden more of an involving type of game than in previous versions, a la NCAA 2004?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2004, 12:10 AM   #16
MVP

Mrcabone's Arena

OVR: 12
Talking Re: 10 First Impressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapo
i think madden is more of a marketing product. they are more in it for the money. the improvement in madden makes depends on the cover athlete. vick resulted in playmaker and Ray-ray - hit stick.if next year Orlando Pace is their cover athlete, we will Revolutionary super blocker, real pancakes and realistic holding penalties. I can wait for Adam Vinitieri (sp) is the cover athlete. Every game will somehow end with a field goal and feel like the superbowl.
lol
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »