Home

Two Things (or maybe it's one)

This is a discussion on Two Things (or maybe it's one) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2004, 04:48 PM   #9
Go Wings!

OVR: 41
Re: Two Things (or maybe it's one)

the reason holding isn't called much in video games is because it'd piss people off, and possibly turn them off of the game. Same with not seeing false starts as much as I remember seeing them in the past...these aren't in our control, and that makes some people mad and hate the game.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:00 PM   #10
Bl*bfl*th z*p!

fossen's Arena

OVR: 28

Exactly. I don't control my linemen - I have no say in it. So too many holding calls mean the game is out of my hands.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:07 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 1

True, the way it is now is fine for a default setting. The average gamer would probably get frustrated. Though the slider's don't give you enough control over the amount of calls there are in a single game. Even if you max out holding you don't get enough of them. Same with pass interference and all of those other penalties. It would just be better if the sliders could represent a wider range of values.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2004, 05:07 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
the reason holding isn't called much in video games is because it'd piss people off, and possibly turn them off of the game. Same with not seeing false starts as much as I remember seeing them in the past...these aren't in our control, and that makes some people mad and hate the game.
I doubt this is true. Give me the correct amount of OH calls and I'd be satisfied. It's part of the game.

But I'd rather have less than more. Then again, this is supposed to be a true representation of football (or as true as possible), overseen by Master John himself.

Why then aren't there a fair amount of OH penalties?

I could be wrong about this: I've only played one game. I just have a funny feeling that OH calls are going to be very rare in this game, as they are in ESPN NFL 2K5.

This lack of OH calls is not a game-killer by any means. But we've all seen it. First and Ten. Ball at midfield. Across the middle and complete, down to the opponent's 22 yard line.

Flag! OH, RG.

Now it's First and Twenty from your own Forty. Bummer (and a definite momentum change).

I'm really hoping that I see more OH calls. I doubt it will happen, but you never know.

Alanb
Old 08-09-2004, 05:13 PM   #13
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Well my best memories with Madden and penalties is that the game LOVES to call holding on you as soon as you break a big run. Once you get past your very last defender and off to the races, thats when you'll hear Al say "there's a flag on the play" and right at that exact moment, I know some big dummie from my team decided to hold one of they're players. Coincedence?? Or maybe the reason I did get that big play is because my player held somebody??

Anyway, the penalty system in Madden IMO is as random as it gets. You know, like a player you're controlling decides to hop past the nuetral zone even though you did'nt touch any bottons. Or that same stupid OL jumping offsides right before you hike the ball. But for the most part, even though the penalties in Madden are random, they do and always have been the main reason for a momentum change.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:20 PM   #14
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanb
I doubt this is true. Give me the correct amount of OH calls and I'd be satisfied. It's part of the game.

But I'd rather have less than more. Then again, this is supposed to be a true representation of football (or as true as possible), overseen by Master John himself.

Why then aren't there a fair amount of OH penalties?

I could be wrong about this: I've only played one game. I just have a funny feeling that OH calls are going to be very rare in this game, as they are in ESPN NFL 2K5.

This lack of OH calls is not a game-killer by any means. But we've all seen it. First and Ten. Ball at midfield. Across the middle and complete, down to the opponent's 22 yard line.

Flag! OH, RG.

Now it's First and Twenty from your own Forty. Bummer (and a definite momentum change).

I'm really hoping that I see more OH calls. I doubt it will happen, but you never know.

Alanb

What game have all of you been playing. I've always got wayyy to many holding calls in Madden(see my last post) and I got 3 holding calls yesterday in a game of ESPN.

The most frequently called penalties have always been Offensive Holding(right when you get a big gain), Pass Interference, Offsides(for both offense and defense) and you get occasional roughing the passer or kicker calls. Everything else, such as clipping(in Madden especially), inelegible revciever and the rest are somewhat non-exsistent.

In a game of ESPN yesterday, I used Bill Abner's penalty sliders and I got 7 calls and the cpu had 5 calls. One of the calls made me lose the game but it was defitnitly a momentum shifter. I've also always had a fair share of penalties in Madden, its just the they are very inconsistent. One game, I'll get 10 calls total(per both teams) and the next game I'll only get 2 or 3.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:21 PM   #15
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I don't care much about penalties especially since there is no referee judgment on them. On some of your big runs, if there is a hold on the other side of the field most refs will let if go in the NFL if it has no bearing on the play and that's something that can't be programmed. I don't care if I ever see penalties other than interference but that's just me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2004, 05:35 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphik
What game have all of you been playing. I've always got wayyy to many holding calls in Madden(see my last post) and I got 3 holding calls yesterday in a game of ESPN.

The most frequently called penalties have always been Offensive Holding(right when you get a big gain), Pass Interference, Offsides(for both offense and defense) and you get occasional roughing the passer or kicker calls. Everything else, such as clipping(in Madden especially), inelegible revciever and the rest are somewhat non-exsistent.

In a game of ESPN yesterday, I used Bill Abner's penalty sliders and I got 7 calls and the cpu had 5 calls. One of the calls made me lose the game but it was defitnitly a momentum shifter. I've also always had a fair share of penalties in Madden, its just the they are very inconsistent. One game, I'll get 10 calls total(per both teams) and the next game I'll only get 2 or 3.

That's very odd. Is it possible that in adjusting all the penalty sliders in some way, OH occurences could increase more so than if you just maxed the OH slider alone?

Strange. Either one of us is delusional or else there's something going on here. It could be that because of randomness, I just haven't seen that many OH calls. I don't think I've played a great number of games yet to make any completely valid assertion.

I'll just hold off and see what happens.

To the game (and lord do I stink),

Alanb

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »