Home

All-Pro a bit too easy. All-Madden? You gotta be kidding!

This is a discussion on All-Pro a bit too easy. All-Madden? You gotta be kidding! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2004, 11:41 PM   #1
Pro

ChiTownKid's Arena

OVR: 10
All-Pro a bit too easy. All-Madden? You gotta be kidding!

I've been playing All-Pro since I got the game. I don't have any major issues, but a couple little ones.

1. The running game is too easy for me. I use the Bears, with Jones, rated somewhere between 80-85, as the starting HB, and when he gets fatigued, I bring in Thomas, who is rated slightly lower. Both are good, not great, solid RB's. I generally run out of the I, and I have three audibles set from that formation, so I have lots of options. The problem is, the computer's run defense doesn't catch on very well.

Say I'm gonna HB run, inside the RT or TE. If the CPU stacks the right side, I'll just audible left, sometimes run the play left with the playmaker function. If the CPU isn't blitzing, or doesn't get lucky with someone breaking a block, I usually pick up 4 or (sometimes much) more. If the play is left, and the CPU stacks left, or packs the O-line in tight, I just swing it out right, and it's the same thing. If they spread thin, like in a nickle, I push it up the gut. If I'm not successful on 1st down, I usually am on 2nd. A lot of my 3rd down situations, when they happen, are short yardage. It's getting to the point where it's starting to feel cheap, because the CPU doesn't adjust. There have been games where I've picked up 100+ yards with BOTH Jones and Thomas EACH. But, I mean, I'm not going to NOT audible. Who the hell runs right into a stacked defense?

Every now and then, the CPU will bring 8 in the box, bring in the safeties, in which case, I just audible to a pass play from the I, and button hook to one of my WR's for an easy 8-10 or more. Which brings me to my next issue...

2. Button hooks are WAY too effective. If your WR is in 1-on-1 coverage, a button hook (in) is guaranteed yardage if you throw the ball at the right time. If you fire a bullet just as the receiver is at his pivot point, it's a completion 9 out of 10 times. Again, it almost feels cheap because it's so easy. Sure, sometimes the CPU will float someone under your receiver to close the route, but if both your WR's are in 1-on-1, you can simply hit the other guy, because the CPU will hardly ever cover both of them, if it actually tries to cover either of them at all.

Now. These would be much bigger issues to me if it weren't for the fact that the CPU really tightens up in the redzone. These two things I mentioned are one thing between the 20's. Inside, it's a whole new ball of wax. The run gets harder, and passing becomes tougher. WR Button hooks are still effective, but not as much, because the CPU tends to play underneath them better since they really don't have anywhere else to go. So a lot of my drives end in FG attempts, and I still kinda suck at anything greater than 40 yards, and this helps keep the scores respectable.

So, while most of my games remain challenging (most of my games tend to end with a differential of 10 or less), and relatively low-scoring (neither team generally scores more than 30), my stats are ridiculously inflated because of what I *can* get away with between the 20's. I've had a couple of games where total yardage was near 500, with over 200 of them coming from the run, yet I only scored 28 points. I play 15-min accelerated quarters, and that probably has something to do with it, since I'm finding I'm getting off 70 plays or more each game. But the CPU usually only gets off around 50-55, and that is realistic, so I'm hesitant to change.

But I did decide to try All-Madden to see what would happen, and if my plays of ease would become more difficult.

In regards to the button hooks, yes. It seemed the CPU adjusted more often. If I had an original run play picked, but audibled to my button hook play because he brought everyone in the box, after a couple times, it'd get defenders underneath to shut it down. This was encouraging.

My run game, however, was virtually unchanged. I was still putting up close to 200 yards per game with the Jones/Thomas tandem. I was shut down a little more often, usually because one of my o-linemen failed to protect, but I was still able to get big runs, enough to negate any progress the CPU might have been making at this level. So, no change in the run overall.

But MY GOD. How the HELL do you people who play All-Madden stop the CPU passing game!? It's like my DB's took stupid pills. Guys get DUSTED in bump-n-run, and seem to be like 5 yards off the play on deep routes, when in All-Pro, they'd be right on top of them! I watched replays of both levels, with games against the same teams, and the difference is obvious. User DB AI goes way south on this level. Either that, or the CPU WR's are boosted through the ceiling. I couldn't stop a DAMN thing. Virtually every drive ended up in some kind of score, and the CPU's totals were the highest I've seen since I started playing the game.

Dunno, maybe I just suck, but when I put double coverage on Tory Holt, I expect SOMEONE to be NEAR him when he catches the ball! I know the guy is good, but come on!

But it's not just the good WR's. It seems everyone the CPU throws to will catch in double coverage, never drops the ball when hit after the catch, and is WAY ahead of their nearest defender on streaks.

And the runners are juiced, too. Guys breaking two, three tackles. Ending up with 8 when the same play under the same coverage would have gotten them 3 or 4 on All-Pro.

There were times when I stopped the CPU, and forced punts, but it never felt earned. It felt lucky.

So, I think I'm gonna pass on All-Madden for now, and just go with All-Pro. The stats may be crazy, but every game is challenging. And it *is* fun. I can't deny that.

It's just a shame that I can't get the AI awareness in All-Madden without having to deal with supermen.

Last edited by ChiTownKid; 08-12-2004 at 11:46 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2004, 11:48 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: All-Pro a bit too easy. All-Madden? You gotta be kidding!

All-Madden is not THAT bad, just start moving the sliders up on All-Pro for the CPU until you think you have nearly perfected your game if All-Pro is a good deal too easy. Simple.

Double coverage works for me against deep passes. You can bump Holt and double him with a safety, unless he gets 5+ seconds of protection Holt isn't going to be open down the field or for a slant.

Learn to use the defensive additions, the AI is better and there are alot of ways to stop anything now.

All-Madden isn't too tough if you have cut out all possible mistakes from your game, and All-Pro isn't too easy until you are almost ready for All-Madden.

Last edited by NoSkillz50; 08-12-2004 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:50 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44

I lost my last game to Minnesota 45-28 so All Pro is where I stay for a while.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:51 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz50
All-Madden isn't too tought if you have cut out all possible mistakes from your game, and All-Pro isn't too easy until you are almost ready for All-Madden.
I like the way you put that. Makes me want to get right on All-Madden.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:52 PM   #5
Pro

ChiTownKid's Arena

Quote:
All-Madden isn't too tought if you have cut out all possible mistakes from your game, and All-Pro isn't too easy until you are almost ready for All-Madden.
Well I think I'm pretty solid on offense. But I have *no* idea how to handle defense on All-Madden. Even when I think I have the perfect play called, I get duffed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2004, 11:58 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 11

Use double coverage streaks, bump and runs to slow down the play (its awefully hard for anybody to wait on streak with the WR being bumped and then the safety on him too, he will be sacked by then), flat zones for HB pass happy offenses and short curls, medium LB zones for post routes, blitzes; often one succesful blitz can knock them right out of the drive.

If you have a shut down corner like Champ Bailey or Woodson, it is just the greatest thing in the world, you can press them or what not and it just opens up the options to blitz.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:59 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownKid
Well I think I'm pretty solid on offense. But I have *no* idea how to handle defense on All-Madden. Even when I think I have the perfect play called, I get duffed.
I'm the opposite. My offense always stinks on All-Madden/Heisman but my defense is generally pretty decent.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:00 AM   #8
Pro

ChiTownKid's Arena

Quote:
Use double coverage streaks, bump and runs to slow down the play (makes it awefuly hard to wait fo rthe bump and run and then beat a double team long, takes way too long for anyone), flat zones for HB pass happy offenses and short curls, medium LB zones for post routes, blitzes; often one succesful blitz can knock them right out of the drive.
Well in your experience, is there any truth to what I'm seeing in boosted CPU player abilities?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »