Home

blocked a punt in the endzone and this happened.....

This is a discussion on blocked a punt in the endzone and this happened..... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2004, 10:58 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: blocked a punt in the endzone and this happened.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossfan8480
Why would the rule mention carrrying the ball into the endzone then? Since once you have possesion of the ball it is offically downed, correct?
There's an intriguing question. I have two guesses as to why:

1) To prevent the kicking team from scoring a touchdown without possession at least changing hands on the punt, or;
2) If you're not down unless you say so, which would still allow you to carry the ball (which wouldn't make sense, actually, because of the whole "advancing the ball" rule)

In any event, let's not lose the focus of the rule. It's split between receiving and kicking. From what the poster said, if I have the ball on my own 1 and you block my punt, then I grab the ball in my own end zone and run out without getting out of it, then it should be a safety. The rule here is shown when I'm punting to you and you're close to your own goal line receiving the kick. If I can't keep the ball out of the end zone, it's a touchback and you get the ball at the 20. In neither rule does it allow you to gain possession at the opponent's 1, so either the poster has his facts wrong or it's a glitch. And having blocked punts before in Madden, I do know that it does score his situation as a safety.

EDIT!

I'm not saying the poster has his facts screwed up (had to clarify there). I think it's a glitch not seen in previous Madden games.

Last edited by bassiladelph; 08-19-2004 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:25 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMan
ok what did ya not understand bro?

It's 4th down. Vikings (me) Panthers (cpu). They have the ball on their own 1 yard line. They go to punt and I choose a man coverage punt block. I take control of one of the guys outside, I bum rush em, block the punt (it was so pimp), the ball flops around in the end zone. The Panthers went to pick up the ball, as they were picking it up they ran out of the end zone, the whistle blows. To my knowledge it should've been a safety, why did I get the ball on their 1 yard line? I felt like I cheated them as I scored on a TD run.
When you said out of the endzone, I thought you meant out of the endzone and back into the playing field, not out of the back of then endzone. If it was out of the back of then endzone, you should have been awarded a safety. However, the spot hurt the CPU team more then you. Now you can get an easy TD instead of just 2 point.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:02 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 10

This should be a safety, I have seen a punter do this on purpose, just to take safety and be able to punt the ball from the 30 for feild position. This should of been a safety.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »