Home

Things That Ruin This Game

This is a discussion on Things That Ruin This Game within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2004, 02:22 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Things That Ruin This Game

exactly, and if someone wants to say i'm used to the "school of fish" mentality, that's idiotic

you have never seen entire defenses react to a play the same way and get burned for a big run? i saw this consistently tonight in the jets and colts exhibition game, manning had them so confused that they could just do anything they wanted on the ground, this doesn't happen in madden, the defense never gets confused because they always know exactly what play you called, it really sucks, play action does nothing but get you sacked faster

honestly, i think the people that defend madden instead of discussing the issues with it, just don't know football, because they come up with these outrageous defensive statements and then say that i don't know football, but i do

i did notice one thing tonight as i watched the game concerning blocking, well two, wide receivers seem to block better than video football games give them credit for, and that there are an awful lot of "pancakes" going on, not pancakes, but on run plays, defensive guys get knocked down an awful lot, which leads to gains, i know when i run the football in madden my guys never knock anybody down, they just stick to the guy long enough so that i think i can run past them and then the guy just slips off and tackles me as i'm going by and that blows

in essence, not enough people are on the ground at the end of the play
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2004, 04:20 AM   #26
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dork88
if someone wants to say i'm used to the "school of fish" mentality, that's idiotic

you have never seen entire defenses react to a play the same way and get burned for a big run?
Yes I've seen defenses react to a play and get burned for a big run...both in reality and in Madden. However, the key word is "play".. By "school of fish" I meant the entire defense merely reacts to the "man"...mimicking his exact movements thus Its much easier to break off big runs against that type of pursuit logic than it is to get big gains against the type of pursuit Madden has. Plus, like I said earlier, theres plenty of offensive adjustments at your disposal to counter what cpu defense is doing, man. Its up to you to use them or not though, dork.

Quote:
i know when i run the football in madden my guys never knock anybody down
Really? I suggest you adjust sliders or something because, honestly, I see guys either getting knocked off balance or just completely blown up by my olinemen and FB...especially my fullback (Tony Richardson). Doesn't happen on EVERY run play but definitely does happen.

Quote:
honestly, i think the people that defend madden instead of discussing the issues with it, just don't know football
I think we ARE discussing issues with the game...mainly your issues. I'm not claiming the game is perfect or that your complaints are invalid. These areas of the game need work. However, these same aspects of the game do not RUIN the gaming experience for me and some others as they do for you. That's all, man.

Last edited by Kanobi; 08-22-2004 at 04:23 AM.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:38 AM   #27
MVP

OVR: 10
Talking Re: Things That Ruin This Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
Interesting. Personally, I like the pursuit and think it's actually pretty realistic for the most part. EA impemented a system this yr where the cpu defenders are aware of what the other defenders are doing and thus react independently. I think we've just become too accustomed to the "School of Fish" defensive pursuit in other titles where all the defensive players' movements are tied to those of the ballcarrier allowing you to essentially run defenders into blockers.
Kanobi
Man dont tell me you joined the Dark side(j/k) Man you were one of the first to pimp espn please tell me you still like that better than Madden. Now before we start "comparing" the two both have thier share of glitches and bugs but man this years ESPN is pretty damn close to real football, alot more than Madden.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:53 AM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 1

There are a few things that ruin this game.I have played well over 80 games so far,online and offline combined.I have NEVER EVER seen a pass interference call.??????This is suppose to be football.No challenge calls online???Im tired of getting 3rd ,4th and in calls,my god.On top of that you dont get your foward progress.My offensive linemen must have glue on their backs.Im tired of getting stuck behind them.Please fix the running game.AND the fumbles,please let them stop.There have been times when i get 2 fumbles in the first 2 min of the game.The defense is just to over powering at times.I played someone online and i picked a goal line and other big sets to run the ball he continued to pick dime packages against me and 2 of his men kept smashing me in the backfield.The game can be great and fun but This is just some of the things that are just killing the game for me.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:57 AM   #29
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram209
Kanobi
Man dont tell me you joined the Dark side
Hilarious...I used to get the same comments when I started playing NFL2k3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram209
Man you were one of the first to pimp espn please tell me you still like that better than Madden.
I know last yr I mainly played nfl2k4 and couldn't get into Madden 04 at all. However, I Play and enjoy both NFL2k5 and Madden 05 this yr.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:04 AM   #30
M*c *dd*ct

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid33nyc1
There are a few things that ruin this game.I have played well over 80 games so far,online and offline combined.I have NEVER EVER seen a pass interference call.??????This is suppose to be football.No challenge calls online???Im tired of getting 3rd ,4th and in calls,my god.On top of that you dont get your foward progress.My offensive linemen must have glue on their backs.Im tired of getting stuck behind them.Please fix the running game.AND the fumbles,please let them stop.There have been times when i get 2 fumbles in the first 2 min of the game.The defense is just to over powering at times.I played someone online and i picked a goal line and other big sets to run the ball he continued to pick dime packages against me and 2 of his men kept smashing me in the backfield.The game can be great and fun but This is just some of the things that are just killing the game for me.
Full agreed. I rarley see any calls even Pass Infereance. Only one I really see often is Holding and I get that maybe 3 times a game total.

Currently Playing:
  • Madden NFL 2007 [360]
  • Guild Wars [PC]
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion [360]
  • Enchanted Arms (soon) [360]
Freelance Graphic / Web Designer - Website coming soon
Old 08-22-2004, 05:09 AM   #31
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
Hilarious...I used to get the same comments when I started playing NFL2k3.

I know last yr I mainly played nfl2k4 and couldn't get into Madden 04 at all. However, I Play and enjoy both NFL2k5 and Madden 05 this yr.

Alright if you could ONLY PLAY ONE which would it be, I just cant get into madden and the PS1 player animation;interaction with each other. Sure ESPN does have its MAJOR FLAWS as does madden but I will take ESPNs flaws in a heartbeat over maddens. Now which would it be?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2004, 08:25 AM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
the defense never gets confused because they always know exactly what play you called, it really sucks, play action does nothing but get you sacked faster

I'm going to disagree here. You need to set up your playaction, kind of like in years past but actually moreso now. When the playaction fake works this year, you get an absolute sellout on run defense and you will find your wideout literally all alone streaking down the sideline. But again, you need to set it up. Have a respectable running game. Have 28 carries in a game midway through the 3rd. I have a menacing ground attack working in my current franchise and I was just pounding the ball between the tackles all the way to a score on my first possession of a recent game. First play of my second drive I used playaction and had not only the corner bite, but the free safety as well. It was one of the more beautiful replays I have ever seen. 82 yard touchdown pass, no one came near my wideout. But again, I set up the playaction. That same game I tried playaction on my next drive, the corners stayed with their men, incompletion.

Quote:
honestly, i think the people that defend madden instead of discussing the issues with it, just don't know football, because they come up with these outrageous defensive statements and then say that i don't know football, but i do

I'm going to semi-agree with you here. I do agree that there seems to be this nearly pathological defense mechanism that seems to kick in with some people if you say a single bad word about Madden. Its rather annoying. Most generally I would guess its kids (judging from the grammar in most of those posts I refer to), but either way its fanboyism at its worst. If someone has a complaint about this game and they present it in an intelligent manner (ie explain why and what without bashing), what's the problem? So far I have made a couple posts commenting on some issues I think need to be fixed (and even take a bit away from gameplay) and have had a few morons throw some "u suck" comments my way, so I understand where you are coming from. However I don't think its an issue of them not knowing football in some cases, its an issue of them being social deviants.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »