Home

What's up with the running game??

This is a discussion on What's up with the running game?? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2004, 02:10 PM   #1
Rookie

okieraider's Arena

OVR: 1
What's up with the running game??

I haven't played Madden in 3yrs because I've been chilling with the 2k series. I understand the defense being the main theme of this yrs game, but damn. How in the hell are linebackers able to shoot any gap or off the edge so fast they are hitting the ball carrier right as he receives the hand off. I played foot ball until 26 yrs of age(semi-pro after coll.) and I never played with or against any linebackers that could shoot through gaps that quickly time after time with no impedence. One of my friends, Raven Caldwell, who played for the Skins for 9yrs, was dominant in H.S. and at Arkansas at Linebacker. He ran a 4.5 40 at the combine. He never was able to consistently explode through gaps to hit the ball carrier time after time just as he received the hand off, although he did it enough to make it to the NFL. To make a long story shut, are there any slider settings to prevent this from happening. I notice the user teams linebackers don't become super human. Only the cpu linebackers are able to do this damn near every running play. I am following my blockers as you should when running the ball and have some success, but damn they went a little overboard with the linebackers blowing into the backfield.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2004, 03:15 PM   #2
Pro

GamingJones's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: What's up with the running game??

You don't need to adjust the sliders to run, you just need to learn "how" to run in Madden. Here are a couple tips that helped me...

1. Switch formations when you get to the line to get a situation where you will have a good shot at running the ball.

2. DO NOT HIT TURBO UNTIL YOU ARE IN THE OPEN FIELD.

3. Make sure you are going to the correct whole. Going to the wrong side of the whole, even slightly, whill cause you to get tackled in the backfield.

4. Hit the Y (XBox) button to cover up the ball going through the line, this will prevent any arm tackles.

I play on All-Madden, default sliders, and I can run the ball just fine.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:35 PM   #3
Rookie

okieraider's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxAbbitt
You don't need to adjust the sliders to run, you just need to learn "how" to run in Madden. Here are a couple tips that helped me...

1. Switch formations when you get to the line to get a situation where you will have a good shot at running the ball.

3. Make sure you are going to the correct whole. Going to the wrong side of the whole, even slightly, whill cause you to get tackled in the backfield.

4. Hit the Y (XBox) button to cover up the ball going through the line, this will prevent any arm tackles.

Every thing you listed is the same thing I do on ESPN. I have had some 100+ yd games on Madden, but the Super linebacker thing just bugs me I guess. It just doesn't seem right to run replay and watch as your guard just stands there and let's a linebacker run right past him to the rb/qb.Also, it's annoying when the Browns have Orpheous Roye dominating J. Ogden for half the game. I guess I have a lot of likes and dislikes for both games this yr.
Old 08-22-2004, 06:53 PM   #4
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxAbbitt

Sorry but I disagree. I know "how to run" and Maddens running game is mediocre at best. They really need to address this next year, but that's wishfull thinking. Instead of seeing blocks happen and holes open up you have to to hope the lineman "dance" thier way , out of the way.
Love Maddens franchise mode but the on field stuff just doesn't cut it for me.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:05 PM   #5
MVP

rock85's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Sorry but I disagree. I know "how to run" and Maddens running game is mediocre at best. They really need to address this next year, but that's wishfull thinking. Instead of seeing blocks happen and holes open up you have to to hope the lineman "dance" thier way , out of the way.
I agree madden running game needs work the LB thing is true and the pinballen is driving me nuts at times
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2004, 07:07 PM   #6
Pro

GamingJones's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
To each their own I guess. Like I said, I struggled at first. Then I spent some time working on the things I mentioned and I can run effectively (4.0 ypc on average) with out any problems.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:04 AM   #7
Rookie

i don't like some of the things and how bad blocks can be sometimes. but i don't care because it's made it actually a challenge to run, and i have to use skill for once.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:08 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

The blocking sucks bigtime in Madden but the running game is quite easy with a decent OL and a good RB.

I have Shaun Alexander and he racked up 2000+ yds in the first season with over 5.0yds/game average.

The second poster had really good tips on how to run well in Madden.
Need practice though.

The Y button rocks!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »