Home

We Are Our Own Worst Enemy . . .

This is a discussion on We Are Our Own Worst Enemy . . . within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-03-2004, 12:53 PM   #17
Swiper

hdaniel1's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: We Are Our Own Worst Enemy . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Squish
It would be nice if OS could create separate sections for each game (like they've done for rosters, sliders, etc.) that was devoted entirely to griping, bugs, glitches, complaints, etc., etc.

That way you could avoid all of the negative stuff if you wanted to, but still use the rest of the forum for tips, strategies, and other helpful discussions about the games.
If that happened, we probably have to shut down that forum for a day or two.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:56 PM   #18
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

I hadn't noticed all this stuff til games started including sliders. As soon as developers gave us a taste of tweaking the game it has been all downhill from there. Sliders made us more picky and more likely to find problems and cheese.

That's why I try and stay away from sliders altogether.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:56 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdaniel1
If that happened, we probably have to shut down that forum for a day or two.
Couldn't you just do it on a "from this point forward" sort of basis?

Actually, I realize it would be a lot of extra work, but it would be nice. Dare to dream...
Old 09-03-2004, 02:15 PM   #20
Bl*bfl*th z*p!

fossen's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Squish
It would be nice if OS could create separate sections for each game (like they've done for rosters, sliders, etc.) that was devoted entirely to griping, bugs, glitches, complaints, etc., etc.

That way you could avoid all of the negative stuff if you wanted to, but still use the rest of the forum for tips, strategies, and other helpful discussions about the games.
We already have a sticky for this. We simply ask that all glitch discussions go in that thread.

For this, we are labeled Nazi's, and told we are on the take from Publisher X.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:27 PM   #21
Bl*bfl*th z*p!

fossen's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paytonsplace
That is right, it is. Does that mean that I should lower my standards? Its like paying for a $40 steak and then having the waiter bring out a McDonalds Hamburger. Sure it's only a dinner but you might find yourself getting a little aggravated.
Do I obsess about that restraunt for 3 months, complaining to everyone I can find? Do I spend every waking moment planning strategies to turn that hamburger into the steak I expected? Do I organize petitions to ask that restraunt to send me a new steak in the mail?

No - I just say - "Damn! That's one bad restaraunt! I'm not going there again!"

Then I go and find a restraunt I prefer, or stay home and make my own steak.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:52 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossen
Do I obsess about that restraunt for 3 months, complaining to everyone I can find? Do I spend every waking moment planning strategies to turn that hamburger into the steak I expected? Do I organize petitions to ask that restraunt to send me a new steak in the mail?

No - I just say - "Damn! That's one bad restaraunt! I'm not going there again!"

Then I go and find a restraunt I prefer, or stay home and make my own steak.
Except, fossen, you have a lot of restaurants to choose from. You don't have many football games to choose from anymore. This year we have fewer than we have had in a long time.

I agree that minor things can be blown out of proportion, but the QA in videogame programing seems to get worse every year, not better. Maybe adding new features, better graphics, etc., opens the door to more bugs and problems. But it has been an especially frustrating season for me, where two games I really like -- NCAA and ESPN -- seem to have taken a step backward from last year, due to fairly serious issues like slowdown, horrid franchise AI, goofy play from the DBs.

I am willing to forgive stuff like the formation shift problem -- that's something that you'd almost have to think like a cheater to catch. My bigger issues are with things that are obvious from the minute you pop in the game and wonder what they hell they were thinking when they made the game.

They are only videogames, and your mileage may vary, and I won't stop playing football games this year. But I am definitely disappointed at the level of problems displayed in this year's crop of games.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:54 PM   #23
Rookie

wingtcoach's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcquillian
It's become crystal clear that the purpose of some is to "bust" a game, crack it, and find every little piece of "cheese."

Furthermore, they choose to not only exploit it in online play, but make sure to post it in forums such as OS, so that these issues can "blossom" into full fledged rants with demands of "patches" and refunds.

This is not a direct attack on Madden or ESPN, (I have chosen to post here because a double post would not be appreciated by OS.) but I feel obligated to express my opinion that there will ALWAYS be "issues" with games. IMO we should try to address these issues honestly - and NOT blow them out of proportion.

I enjoy both of Madden and ESPN. I am still debating in my mind which game I prefer. Compared to years ago, when I was playing Mattel Football, games have become incredibly challenging with graphics and gameplay well beyond my expectations.

After several weeks of watching and reading various posts, I am choosing to take a more positive approach to the games that I buy, and try to enjoy them instead of "critique" them to death.

"Your milage may vary."

You have every right to "blast" and "disect" every game out there - it's your money - you paid for it.

For me - it's time for a change.
I said this same thing over a month ago. Reading this stuff absolutely spoils the game for me. I wish I could quit.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:33 PM   #24
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

can I just kick out a memo to people, games will never be perfect, especially sports games put out yearly! There will always be bugs. No program is perfect, look at Windows, MS throws insane amounts of money at it, and yet it's still flawed.

I don't think it's possible for EA or Sega to put the amount of time and effort they do into pleasing us with upgrades, and at the same time put out a bug free game. They're in a no win situation, no matter what there will be people on forums crying. Games were never perfect, and while I agree that companies should be accountable, I also believe that a lot of you out there have unrealistic expectations for what companies should produce. Especially on a yearly schedule...i mean, Halo 2's been in development for ages, so obviously we can hold that to a different standard. They can release it 'when it's done', whereas sports games don't have that luxury.

Just my opinion, feel free to disagree, I'll be happy to debate the topic, just prefer to keep this from a flame fest that gets locked.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »