Home

Sega/VC - Lead, follow or get out of the way!

This is a discussion on Sega/VC - Lead, follow or get out of the way! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 12-21-2004, 02:20 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Sega/VC - Lead, follow or get out of the way!

As I sit back in my chair, trying not do or think about the things that really matter in my life, I wonder to myself what is going to happen in this interesting situation where NFL exclusivity, marketshare and economic survival is concerned.

I guess we, collectively as concerned gamers, football lovers and consumers, are all going through a full range of emotions regarding the EA/NFL deal. I am sure that you have asked yourself the following questions:

Q: Was this deal fair?

A: Maybe, maybe not. It may not make sense to many, but who says life is fair? Would you be complaining if Sega was awarded the exclusive license from the NFL? The NFL did what they thought was fair and in their best interest. The choice was there's to make. What does fairness have to do with anything?

Q: Was the deal illegal or monopolistic?

A: Probably not by most anti-trust definitions. Sega is not prevented from making football games and Visa is the only credit card accepted at the Olympics. The NFL has a right to do what it wants where licensing is concerned. What they did was legal and not monopolistic from a legal standpoint but the real question is: "Was the deal in the best interest of the parties involved (EA, NFL and NFLPA)?". As I see it everyone involved is really happy. Money talks and a lot of money shouts!. Business is business. End of story.

On a side note, if a lot of money shouts it is interesting to see how EA is so quiet. I feel that they are like a Cheshire Cat just smiling and not saying a word or a snake that is savoring the sensation of its newly eaten prey (Sega/VC) moving down its digestive tract.

EA knows what this deal really means to them and their position in the videogame industry. They really know how this is affecting their industry and the diehard gamers that spend money to fill the vast EA coffers. Life is good. Now is not the right time to speak.

Q: Was this deal in the best interest of the gaming community and sports lovers (consumers)?

A: Definitely not! This answer is where I find solidarity between the EA and ESPN Fanboys. Regardless if you only love Madden or ESPN NFL football is your game of choice, most would agree that competition breeds innovation and innovation is good for all concerned.

I personally felt that ESPN Football 2K6 was going to make its move next year. I strongly feel that it was going to leapfrog past Madden in gameplay, presentation, franchise and most importantly sales!

December 13 is a day that will live in imfamy! Your life as a football gamer will never be the same!

Q: Does the NFL and EA really care?

A: I guess they feel satisfied that they both got what they wanted. At the end of the day it means more money in their pockets. Build it and they will come...Because they (we football gamers) now have no choice!

Q: What would Brian Boitano do?

A: There are not enough South Park fans to really appreciate that question.

Q: What is Sega/VC going to do?

A: Now there's the million dollar question that is on everyone's minds!

BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME...
In some ways, the pressure is on all parties to perform. I do not think that EA is going to rest on its laurels. They are going to face a considerable amount pressure to put out a game that is a quantum leap over the old generation Madden series. That in itself may require them to tear down their game and rebuilt the engine from the ground up. EA must improve the graphics, gameplay and the overall experience.

Who knows, there may be several products coming out in their suite of games? EA may release a real robust Franchise product that they might market on its own and seeing that they are the only NFL game in town, I am certain that they are going to wring every bit of juice out of their exclusivity agreement.

Pay for play. Online play will become a pay feature. Buy base EA NFL Football and then you can pay for online play, league participation, fantasy football, tournaments and the list goes on and on. $49.99 for the base game, then you subscribe for other services.

In all of this EA's saving grace is that with the next generation consoles (XBOX2 and PS3) on the horizon they can strategically buy time to roll out changes at a pace that suits their pace. With no more competition and more time to manage the transition to new console technology it all means mimimal improvements or mere annual updates to an outdate football AI engine. If its in the game, its probably going to be in the game two years from now!

Get ready for our new world. As for diehard ESPN gamers, I feel that if they (EA) built it, you will come too. Yes, that means you! You will be walking through the EA cornfields like a zombie, ready to pay your money too. Dawn of the ESPN fanboy dead! That is unless there are suitable alternatives.

CHOICES, DECISIONS AND CONSEQUENCES...
I for one do really hope that something can be salvaged from this situation. I really do hope that there will be a Sega football option for those that are diehard ESPN fanboys, converted Madden players or those that just happened to stumble upon this game because of the price or what a friend told them about the game.

Christmas is not even here and already the install base of ESPN gamers has grown by leaps and bounds. People love this game. I personally love it too and I shake my head as the gaming industry (or the licensed product (sports)) sector of the industry is going through a potential earthquake.

NFL licensing, as it stands right now, is key to the success of any football game. That is a perspective that is held by many. What is the NFL licensing really worth? We shall see in the next 18-24 months. Can Sega/VC prove us wrong? What did Lee Iacocca say? "Lead, follow or get out of the way"? What can Sega/VC do?

As my father always told me life all about CHOICES, DECISIONS and CONSEQUENCES. Sega knows what choices it has to make. SEGA has to make a decision and the consequences of this decision are going to not only affect the fortunes of SEGA, VC and EA, but it is going to have far reaching impacts on the videogame industry for years to come.

What will SEGA choose to do?

GET OUT OF THE WAY
Well, out of the three options I chose this one first because it could be the easiest one for Sega to do. Sega can old up shop at least where football games are concerned. No more Sega developed football, but what about their other products (NBA Basketball, College Hoops, MLB Baseball etc.)? Do they redeploy their programming staff to make these games the best of their class and forget about football? Does Sega/VC abandon the assumed development on NFL 2K6? I am certain that they have a hell of a capital expenditure for R&D where NFL 2K6 is concerned. Do they give up the ESPN license to save money and go back to the corporate branding of Sega Sports? Does Sega tell Visual Concepts to drink the "Kool Aid" (a la Jim Jones) and do the VC resources jump over to EA to make their game so good that all of what we are saying and complaing about is rendered moot?

Getting out of the way may be something that might happen. Sega may put out a game this year and that might be it. ESPN might join EA and become the presentation face of all EA games. Go with the winner. Most people would do the same.

All of this would be a shame as I really did enjoy playing Sega/VC football games.

FOLLOW
Yes, ESPN could try to follow EA by producing just a football game. However, I do not think that they could be just average. This is not a viable option. Following would get them nowhere. There is no second place now, cuz second place for Sega would be a far distant second where it would not be in their best interest to just put anything on the shelves so they can say they have a football product. I wouldn't buy it and I do think you would as well.

LEAD
This is the only way Sega/VC football can survive. They have to be so innovative and imaginative to capture and maintain the hearts and minds of the diehard football gaming community and most importantly, the general buying public at large. This is going to be such a monumental task and I do hope the Sega/VC will take on the challenge.

Sega could take on a Madden license: "Madden ESPN Football 2K6". They may get a lot casual /general public purchases just on the Madden name alone. He does not have to be in the game as a commentator, but he can lend his name and be the coach giving advice for play selection and such. Maybe he can be incorporated in a mini-camp part of the game? Who knows? His name might bring added cachet and much needed market share.

Customization is a must. I will not go into this strategy as it has been touched on by many including myself. Give me a generic set of teams and "If its not in the game, just add it!".

Superior simulation and franchise features. For there to be viable competition there are going to be something that Sega Football is far better than the EA offering. It may have to continue to have better presentation and gameplay, but this new Sega/VC football is going to have to blow our socks off with some really cool features that will turn heads and make people take more than a casual look.

Leadership through innovation and creativity is the only Sega/VC Football is going to survive with or without Madden or ESPN branding and definitely without NFL licensing. The odds are against them, but should they meet the challenge they will definitely have my loyal dollars and I would fully endorse the game to my friends.

My Analysis
Once again, it is going to be real interesting 18 months. I hope that with or without a Sega/VC football offering that the football gaming experience and offerings will be somehow improved by this agreement. As hard as it is for me to fathom, I still feel that there is hope.

Sega/VC is fighting a fight with one of its arms tied behind its back and they can throw in the towel or bite a chunk out of EA's ear in such a way that even Mike Tyson would be impressed! Without an ear listen with EA will not care because they are not going to listen to you or me especially when they have all the money in the world.

Lead, follow or get out of the way. Sega has to make the choice. Let's all hope that they make the right decision.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »