Home

Steeler Franchise Oddities

This is a discussion on Steeler Franchise Oddities within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2005, 01:32 PM   #1
Rookie

tedknick's Arena

OVR: 4
Steeler Franchise Oddities

Here are few things that happened in the playoffs and in the offseason following year 2 of my Steelers franchise.

1. In a playoff game at Baltimore, they have a 3rd and long. They complete a pass and I knock Moore out of bounds 2 yards shy of the first, I see the flag go up and the top of the screen says PEN-PIT. I'm cursing Palomalu right now(he made the hit), but nothign happens. Next thing I know, I'm asked to pick a defensive play and Baltimore is lining up for a punt. After I return the punt, suddenly the penalty from third down shows up, Troy Palomalu-5 yd face mask. They knock me back 5 yards on my return and the game moves on.

I'm assuming it's a glitch, maybe mentioned before, but I don't have the time to look through the glitch thread.

2. Free Agent signing period. I look over the available Free Agents and Rodney Harrison tops the list. I make offers to the guys I'm interested in and move ahead a couple of days. All of the sudden 3 days in, Donovan McNabb appears as a free agent on the top of the list. Did the Eagles cut him to make room for FA's? Can you even cut players at that point? You didn't used to be able to. It is possible that I totally missed him, but like I said, Harrison was at the top of the list then McNabb was.

3. Free Agent signing period, again. I'm looking for a QB to back up Ben and I happen across a rookie rated at 80. I check his background and it says that he was drafted 29th in the first round. So a team drafted this kid, then never signed him. I find that very odd. Whatever, Ben got hurt in the preseason and this kid went 9-11 for 141, 1td and 1int in his first start. I may use him over Ben.

Just some strange things I saw and was wondering if anybody has seen these or could shed some light on some other things. Thanks.

Ted
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2005, 03:05 PM   #2
All Star

OVR: 19
Re: Steeler Franchise Oddities

o think you could cut players during free agency, just had to go to the rosters screen, and I remember in past years i would occasionally see a 1st rounder not sign, i remember one year Arizona drafted Chris Leak but he didnt sign, so i signed him
Old 09-07-2005, 07:46 PM   #3
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedknick
2. Free Agent signing period. I look over the available Free Agents and Rodney Harrison tops the list. I make offers to the guys I'm interested in and move ahead a couple of days. All of the sudden 3 days in, Donovan McNabb appears as a free agent on the top of the list. Did the Eagles cut him to make room for FA's? Can you even cut players at that point? You didn't used to be able to. It is possible that I totally missed him, but like I said, Harrison was at the top of the list then McNabb was.
First off-season of my Steeler Franchise, same thing happened. Two days in, Ricky Williams is there. I figured they probably cut him, since I knew he had some years left on his contract during the season. I was thinking of getting rid of one of my extra WR's anyway, so I went to see if I could cut him. Lo and behold, I could. So, that answers that.

Seeing McNabb get cut like that must've been a shock though.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:49 AM   #4
Rookie

tedknick's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggidyJames
Seeing McNabb get cut like that must've been a shock though.
It was a huge shock, I wish I had the cap room to sign him. I can't believe that I forgot the best part of the whole McNabb thing. He never got signed in the FA signing period; Cincy picked him up the first week of the preseason.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:04 AM   #5
Rookie

Yes you can cut players during the FA period...and have been able to for as long as they have had this system.

...and yes, some teams do cut players during the FA period and if you sim a few days at a time you could miss them.

...and not all teams sign all of their draft picks. It could be that they had no more cap space, the guy didn't want to sign, demanded more than the team was willing to give up, team had a overflow at position, etc.....

although I would sign my draft picks because you never know how they will turn out....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2005, 11:15 AM   #6
Rookie

tedknick's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMIHEMMY
Yes you can cut players during the FA period...and have been able to for as long as they have had this system.
I guess I'm just an idiot and never saw it. I'll have to remember that when I need a couple extra mil and I have some overpriced vet. chewing up a roster spot. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:03 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

haha yeah the game does some crazy stuff like seeing the chargers blow up thier roster since i (denver) won the superbowl. Seeing LT ontop of the list ... i really wanted to sign him but the Vikes got him.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »