Home

Running Animations

This is a discussion on Running Animations within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Running Animations

These are just some ideas I had about the running animations and how to fix them. This is just a thread specifically about the way players run in madden (and NCAA) and how to make it better.
First here is my post from the other thread about signature style

Quote:
One thing they could do that really isn't signature styles but would make the game have a lot of variety is to totally redo the running animations. Get these different styles of runs. Because all the classes of players look different when they run.(Different mocap guy for each one)
slow quarterback.
quick running back
big bruiser
tall wide receiver
short player who take short steps like Darren Sproles
lineman
fast lineman
big linebacker
regular sized, regular speed, regular run that doesn't fit any of these classes.
I bet EA could find 1 player who fits each of these molds to come in. 2k sports had Chris Paul do a bunch of motion capture. If not just get athletic high schoolers who fit the mold.
A few additional ideas
When the ball carrier is running at defender before the 2 players hit, they both brace for impact and hit each other. The ball carrier does not run straight up and just give his whole body to the defender. He gets low and leads with his shoulders. I was thinking every time a defender and a ball carrier were running right at each other, a couple steps before impact they would go into a pre-hit animation where they both get low and lead with their shoulders. Now you could still use the highlight/truck stick once the pre-hit animation started, the runner would still be able to do their move. And if you did nothing the 2 players would still hit each other and it would be a pretty good impact considering it is a head on collision. And if it was a very good truck stick runner (Marion Barber, Brandon Jacobs) there would be a chance the runner could stay on their feet.
Running backs should also get low behind the line of scrimmage when they are about to hit the hole. And on dive plays when the running back is running straight at the line he should get into that pre-hit animation.
Add more running into the back of a blocker animations ala 2k5.
I don't think that these would be that hard to implement. And I think ball carrier vision could impact the pre-hit animation (maybe a player doesn't see a hit coming and gets wrecked) so please try and put these in 2010.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2008, 12:35 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Running Animations

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecox3
These are just some ideas I had about the running animations and how to fix them. This is just a thread specifically about the way players run in madden (and NCAA) and how to make it better.
First here is my post from the other thread about signature style

A few additional ideas
When the ball carrier is running at defender before the 2 players hit, they both brace for impact and hit each other. The ball carrier does not run straight up and just give his whole body to the defender. He gets low and leads with his shoulders. I was thinking every time a defender and a ball carrier were running right at each other, a couple steps before impact they would go into a pre-hit animation where they both get low and lead with their shoulders. Now you could still use the highlight/truck stick once the pre-hit animation started, the runner would still be able to do their move. And if you did nothing the 2 players would still hit each other and it would be a pretty good impact considering it is a head on collision. And if it was a very good truck stick runner (Marion Barber, Brandon Jacobs) there would be a chance the runner could stay on their feet.
Running backs should also get low behind the line of scrimmage when they are about to hit the hole. And on dive plays when the running back is running straight at the line he should get into that pre-hit animation.
Add more running into the back of a blocker animations ala 2k5.
I don't think that these would be that hard to implement. And I think ball carrier vision could impact the pre-hit animation (maybe a player doesn't see a hit coming and gets wrecked) so please try and put these in 2010.
very good post, very good thread, very good ideas.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba11innnnn
Thanks
Old 06-16-2008, 11:20 AM   #4
The OS Artist Guy

NYG_Meth's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba11innnnn
Agreed, especially regarding the pre-hit animation.

WebsiteFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt
Old 06-16-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 8

on a ratings spread sheet found here

http://www.sportsgamer.com/forums/ma...readsheet.html

there is a stat called PLYR_RUNNINGSTYLE which makes me believe they have quite a few variations of how people move and not just based on speed and agility. They haven't talked about it but we'll have to wait and see.
PLYR_RUNNINGSTYLE

Last edited by ChuckMonts; 06-16-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2008, 03:35 PM   #6
Rookie

Another note:
On kickoffs the players from both teams should enter the pre-hit animation and then just unload on each other.
Same thing for players on defense taking on blocks, this would take care of all the suction blocking.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:08 PM   #7
Rookie

any one else have ideas?
Old 06-17-2008, 12:36 AM   #8
Mercy Extended. John 3:16

texbuk84's Arena

OVR: 34

they should make the animations look more fluid, and realistic by using some other animation technology for running animations
Devils

2kflightschool.webs.com

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »