Home

49ers Defensive Suggestions

This is a discussion on 49ers Defensive Suggestions within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 5
Question 49ers Defensive Suggestions

Hey fellas... I always run with my 49ers no matter what.... this year my D is strugglin' with the loss of Bryant Young. I'm gettin' no pressure on the QB or stopin' the run... which is givin' the QB too much time in the pocket and I'm gettin' toasted... I'm tryin' to tough it out with the 3-4 but will be willin' to switch it up if needed.... Any suggestions will help.... thanks in advance
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
MVP

capp34's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: 49ers Defensive Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayne Event 41
Hey fellas... I always run with my 49ers no matter what.... this year my D is strugglin' with the loss of Bryant Young. I'm gettin' no pressure on the QB or stopin' the run... which is givin' the QB too much time in the pocket and I'm gettin' toasted... I'm tryin' to tough it out with the 3-4 but will be willin' to switch it up if needed.... Any suggestions will help.... thanks in advance
Do you play online or offline.

Kings of the Kourt Commissioner

KOTK Discord - https://discord.gg/Swj5cJe
Old 08-25-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
Rookie

mightyrx's Arena

OVR: 3

I run exclusively with the Niners so I might be of help.
To "stop" the run, pinch your D-line on running downs.(1st and 10, 2nd and <6, 3rd and <4)
To pass rush, you will need to either over load blitz 2 players(FS & ROLB, SS & LOLB, MLB & LCB, etc) and you have to make the center commit to the NT ro he will slide and pick up the blitzers.
Or you can get coverage sacks if you can blanket the field with defenders.
You can do that by picking a play like 3-4 drop zone and play making your DE to Rush zone(grey/black rush line not yellow) and spreading your D-line.

Hope that helps.
Making up Evidence Depending on Information Available
Old 08-25-2008, 03:39 PM   #4
Rookie

Madden just seems to not like the 3-4 I;ve tried bigger DE's but they rarely break the pocket down and stuff the run. When the LB's come into the make a play they get crowded at the line it usually results in a nice rush to the outside for the CPU.

I dropped the 3-4 and run cover 2. I also make several personnel changes to the starters on D.

RDE: TBC, Green, McDonald, Jay Moore
DT/NT: Sopoaga, Fields
DT: Franklin, Fields
LDE: J Smith, Jay Moore, McDonald
ROLB: Thomas, Haralson, Green
MLB/ILB: Willis, Spikes, Ulbrich
LOLB:Lawson, Haralson, Green
CB: Clements, Spencer
Nickel/Dime Back: R Smith / T Brown
FS: Harris backup Goldson, Roman
SS: Lewis backup Goldson, Roman

This has had the best result covering the pass and getting pressure on the QB.

Good speed at linebacker and secondary has speed at corner and good awareness at the safeties.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:25 PM   #5
Rookie

mightyrx's Arena

OVR: 3

You didn't pick up Takeo spikes?!?
Making up Evidence Depending on Information Available
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Let me start with the disclaimer that I do not claim to be a defensive mastermind or a Madden genius. LOL

With that said, I run with the Steelers (as if you couldn't tell by the screenname) and I also use the 3-4 defense. Currently I am using the "CLE-Crennel" defensive playbook as it seems to be closer to the 3-4 playbook I used in past years (I like to occassionally use the Nickel 1-5-5 and its not in this years 3-4 or PIT playbooks).

Here are some plays I like to mix in:

Nickel 1-5-5 DT Blitz - It brings 6 on the blitz (DT and all 5 LB's). The LB's off the LOS do a good job of finding their way through. It handles inside and outside runs nicely. It eats up play-action passes. And if you guess wrong and its pass, they still get decent pressure. CON - 3 and 4 WR sets eat it up. If the OL does get their hands on the LB, they get good push.

3-4 Over Trio Sky Zone - It brings 5 on the blitz and plays a pretty nice zone behind it. I like this when my opponent is mixing it up well and I'm not sure whether he is going to run or pass but I still want to create some pressure. It works vs. 3WR sets as well, but backs out of the backfield in the flats can do damage.

Dime Zone Blitz - gets good pressure, with a zone behind it. I go to this sometimes when I expect pass (in particular vs 0TE offensive sets). I use the LB Pass Rush package change and manually rush the LB opposite the DB that is blitzing.

Nickel 1-5-5 SS Zone Blitz - Again, this gets pretty good pressure (maybe because my SS is Troy P), but this works wel vs 3WR even if there is a TE on the field. I like this on because it still does a good job if you guess wrong and your opponent runs the ball.

That's just a couple of plays I like to mix it up with. Hope that helps. Again, I don't pretend to be a defensive genius, but I've had some success mixing in these plays (along with others of course).
Old 08-25-2008, 11:35 PM   #7
Pro

WOW... I knew my homies at Op Sports would come thru... thx to everyone that contributed...

Steel Pitt, I ran with the Pats D last season so I know all about the 1-5-5... I'll give it another shot

tktnuri, last time I tried to run the cover 2 was when they first put it on Madden and I couldn't stop the run at all... but I'll give it a shot... Also, why didn't you give Balmer any love on your Depth Chart and I'd flip Spikes and Thomas around... Spikes is a better LB and I would want him on the field as much as possible

mightyrx, Any of the few that sacks that I would get would be coverage sacks and good to hear of another Exclusive Niners user

Capp34, I play both on and offline... bout 75% online
Old 08-26-2008, 10:22 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
WOW... I knew my homies at Op Sports would come thru... thx to everyone that contributed...

tktnuri, last time I tried to run the cover 2 was when they first put it on Madden and I couldn't stop the run at all... but I'll give it a shot... Also, why didn't you give Balmer any love on your Depth Chart and I'd flip Spikes and Thomas around... Spikes is a better LB and I would want him on the field as much as possible
I knew I forgot someone I run Balmer at 3rd DE and 4th DT, he rarely sees the field with my D.

Spikes is an 87 ovr and is great at ILB, when I move him to outside he stays an 87 but my problem is his speed is 80. I a liability in pass coverage for my defense. When you move Thomas to OLB from ILB he jumps to an 83 OVR and has 85 speed. He covers the TE well and can get to the flats.

I just wanted to say I dont run cover 2 exclusively as far as play calling. The cover 2 playbook just seems to have a bit of everything. So I tend to run 3-4 on first, 4-3 or Nickel on 2nd , Dime 3rd and long and Goaline 3rd / 4th short. This gives me Spikes AWR on first down, speed on 2nd / 3rd long or 3rd and short bring in 3 DT for Goaline.

Just to give you an example in 13 games I've given up 55.7 yards a game rushing and 190 passing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »