Home

22-man mo-cap, is it possible?

This is a discussion on 22-man mo-cap, is it possible? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #1
We Here

Hassan Darkside's Arena

OVR: 34
22-man mo-cap, is it possible?

Well I have a problem with Madden's animations period, no matter how they're improved or whatever, especially after playing All Pro Football. Anyway, I was wondering if 22-man mo-cap is theoretically possible.

I remember NBA Live 2004 first debuted 10 man mocap and NBA Live 2005 further improved on it and it made the game look much more smoother and gave it better animations.

Now there's a lot that could be improved on in the animation department and how players act/react with one another. I think (I can't say for sure) one of the issues is that when animations are captured is that there's only like 1 guy or 2-3 guys at a time. Probably so it doesn't feel like you're getting stuck in animations but with 22 man mocap it'd be completely spontaneous and more realistic for that reason.

I mean, imagine capturing an entire full length football game!
Royce da 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
How many brothers fell victim to the skeet.........
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2008, 08:58 PM   #2
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: 22-man mo-cap, is it possible?

I don't know much about motion capturing but I'm sure that would cost a whole lot of money. And I'm sure they would have to find a huge warehouse the size of a football field to set up the cameras and the motion sensors and all that stuff....All stuff that I'm not sure EA's willing to do. But that sounds like a great idea imo.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 52

Nope, it's not possible currently. It also really wouldn't be that good of an idea. NBA's 10 man mocap was nothing more than a PR shoot.

Video game animation is what I like to consider a big "puzzle piece". In order to let the user stay in control and to have different players / ratings actually matter, you never want a long sequence of one big animation...you want them going from move to move to move, and our challenge as game makers is to make it *look* like it was one big long sequence of moves.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:52 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
Nope, it's not possible currently.
You probably shouldn't throw out blanket statements like that. It *is* possible, and the real answer is "it depends". Go talk to David P., he'll probably tell you the same thing. It may not be possible with your current system, but it's certainly possible.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:04 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
Nope, it's not possible currently. It also really wouldn't be that good of an idea. NBA's 10 man mocap was nothing more than a PR shoot.

Video game animation is what I like to consider a big "puzzle piece". In order to let the user stay in control and to have different players / ratings actually matter, you never want a long sequence of one big animation...you want them going from move to move to move, and our challenge as game makers is to make it *look* like it was one big long sequence of moves.

I've been meaning to ask you this question for a while, is there anyway EVERY position gets a different approach or animation set?

Best example I can give of this is, you know before snap CB's adjusting to the line of scrimmage, playing with there towels, rotating in and out of there positions (constant movement "life-like").

AFTER the SNAP:

CB's actually acting like CB's, meaning hand checking, putting there arms in front of the reciever when the ball is in the air while they both fight for position to make the play (I've seen it done in 2K to perfection -Again not basing or trying to compare).

Meanwhile FS's are either bawl hawking or looking for the big hit etc.

I know it sounds like im rambling or what im saying is kinda confusing, but as it stand in the current Madden, everything just looks robotic or kind of just like preset... no realism really...
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »