Home

Big Offensive sets vs. Nickel-Dime Defenses

This is a discussion on Big Offensive sets vs. Nickel-Dime Defenses within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 15
Big Offensive sets vs. Nickel-Dime Defenses

EA Devs, could you guys please look into this before the game ships?

This issue has been in the game for as long as I can remember.

(for example) 2TE - 1 WR sets, historicly can be defended by Dime packages in this franchise and that's just RIDICULOUS!

Same goes for Power I formations vs. Dime Defenses. It's a tactic users use ALOT online and it should be TOTALLY scrapped from the game.

Something needs to be done to force opponents to use the correct personnel packages during games. Right now, it's VERY possible for someone to use Dime packages exclusively in the Madden franchise and has always been this way.

The issue vs. the AI is there also.

I can use Nickel and Dime packages vs. CPU Powerr run formations without the risk of being punished. This has got to be corrected.

Any team IRL, would get man handled in the run game, if they trotted out Dime/Nickel packages vs. Power run packages.

This problem is getting to the point of making the game 'almost' unplayable because, it has been around for soooooo long.

Please take the time to iron out this issue and force players (and the user vs the AI) to use the correct packages when on defense.

I'm at my wits end with this issue.

thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Big Offensive sets vs. Nickel-Dime Defenses

Definitely would like Ian's perspective on why this happens. It needs to be addressed.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYyankz225
Definitely would like Ian's perspective on why this happens. It needs to be addressed.
Obviously I'm not Ian, but it could be something to do with the excessive acceleration that people mentioned with the WRs.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

A lot of teams will use the nickel as their base, but using a dime as a base is dumb. I believe going 1 up or 1 down is ok, say for instance, the offense chooses 2 WR and you choose a Nickel or they choose 3 WR and you choose Dime or 4-3. But I do notice some guys will run Dime and Quarter as their base and sometimes you won't be able to pound the ball against them, because they will run their DT in circles around blockers.

I don't think this is a huge deal, but they should probably look more into rewarding users who match up better based on personnel, rather than putting as much as speed out there as possible.

Youtube
Old 03-03-2009, 02:33 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 15

I think alot of this will be fixed if they overhaul the OL/DL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 14

I don't know if it's as bad as described because just last night my team had a 3-3-5 out and they had 5 down lineman. They ran the ball and the unblocked ol came right up to my LB and locked him up, allowing the back to get almost 7 yards on the run. Had I called a smarter play that wouldn't have been the case.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwayGod53
I don't know if it's as bad as described...
Trust me, it is. What was great was, in 08 if done right (glitch), when your 5 O-linemen would consistantly get beat by 3 rushing down linemen, on both the run and the pass. Nothing better than watching your max protect blocking get beat by 3 defenders.

Last edited by tmulk; 03-03-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 12

You know what is fun? When you come out of the goal line formation and the opponent uses a dime formation and than proceed to tackle you for a loss. LOL This one time on 4 straight plays I gained a grand to total of 2 yards using a goal line formation against a nickle formation. You have got to be kidding me. 2 YARDS?!?!?! But the last one was a few years back.....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »