Home

Players retiring too early, not being able to talk them out of it

This is a discussion on Players retiring too early, not being able to talk them out of it within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #1

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15
Players retiring too early, not being able to talk them out of it

Will players like Kurt Warner retire after one year of dynasty? Thats one of the most agitating aspects of Madden franchise mode when a veteran like him retires even though he'll probably play another 2-3 seasons IRL.

Another question...Will it be possible to talk players out of retirement for a year or two with $$$ ?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 18
Re: Players retiring too early, not being able to talk them out of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
Will players like Kurt Warner retire after one year of dynasty? Thats one of the most agitating aspects of Madden franchise mode when a veteran like him retires even though he'll probably play another 2-3 seasons IRL.

Another question...Will it be possible to talk players out of retirement for a year or two with $$$ ?
i really really hope so
Old 04-30-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
Pro

dougdeuce's Arena

yeah, as of now the retirement notice is just that... a notice that that player is done. period.

you should be able to open a discussion with that player, maybe make him promises.

"if you come back we'll get that WR you need"
"if you come back we have a legitimate title shot"

OR

as an opposing GM..

"Hey Brett, We feel that you would give the Vikings the edge we've been looking for. Spend a season in MN"

"Hey Kurt, we could really use you in our backup role if you would be willing to be a tutor to Stafford this year"

blah blah blah. you know what i'm saying
Old 04-30-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
MVP

bowdown2shadi's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdeuce
yeah, as of now the retirement notice is just that... a notice that that player is done. period.

you should be able to open a discussion with that player, maybe make him promises.

"if you come back we'll get that WR you need"
"if you come back we have a legitimate title shot"

OR

as an opposing GM..

"Hey Brett, We feel that you would give the Vikings the edge we've been looking for. Spend a season in MN"

"Hey Kurt, we could really use you in our backup role if you would be willing to be a tutor to Stafford this year"

blah blah blah. you know what i'm saying
Verry Nice!
Old 04-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
Pro

dougdeuce's Arena

Things like this are what I'm talking about with an "expanded" franchise mode. This mode has never been 1/3 as deep as I would like it to be.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5

I think this would be great. There are a lot of players that retire too early in Madden. Look how old Warner is and he is playing and making an impact, Jason Taylor should land somewhere, kickers can seemingly last well into their 40's in real life!

Madden should not be so quick to have a lot of these older players retire after the first season of franchise. Certainly not without the option to bring them back.

Maybe 75 and under players will retire earlier, as teams using them as subs will give the roster spot to a rookie. However, higher-rated players (especially former Pro Bowl superstars) can often stick around for a while.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:50 PM   #7
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

Been able to talk a guy out of retirment would be sweet for franchise mode. But even with that feature in. It would be hard to talk a guy that is in his late 30 to unretire. But it would be possible I guess.

But the question becomes what age would it be good for the cpu to turn you down. that is flaw that would be in the system. But the feature would be nice to be to talk guys like curt and farve out retirement to play one more season.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:56 PM   #8

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

I think the age max could just be random and depend on several factors. One of which, the players effectiveness the previous year.

If I win MVP or go to the Pro Bowl with a 38 year old quarterback, him playing at 39 shouldn't be far-fetched.

Also, the majority of the players that exit the league each year do so after a contract expires or they get cut and no one signs them. EA has too many guys retiring in the middle of contracts which is not realistic.

Think about it: How many players from your favorite team retired this past off-season despite being under contract? I can't think of one in the entire league (I'm sure there is a rare case or two).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »