Home

So the Right Guard says to the Center "could you give me a chip block"

This is a discussion on So the Right Guard says to the Center "could you give me a chip block" within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
So the Right Guard says to the Center "could you give me a chip block"

I wanted to title this "can a brother get a bump"

anyway, one of the main things I want out of Madden10 (#1 of importance) is line play.

Do centers chip the shoulders of a DT to slow him down just enough for his teammate to get a solid block on him?

Do Olineman goto the next level (LBs) and block effectively?

Can we have a doubleteam on one guy and then the lineman chip the delay blitzing LB to slow him down?

during pass blocking cant a Guard that has no one to block start trying to help their Center out a bit with those 350lb+ 3-4 NTs?

I also want to know if those 350lb+ lineman are taking up 2 or 3 blockers?

I want the no glory boys all of the blame guys to get some love like this.

The Offensive and Defensive Line play is the most important part of football and should be treated in game as such.

You have earned my respect.

4-6-09
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: So the Right Guard says to the Center "could you give me a chip block"

i hope their is double teams for the elite DL. Like thats the point of using a 3-4 defense if the NT is not drawing 2-3 blockers? Not many OL can take on the elite DL 1 on 1 like Freeny, Tuck, Osi, Jared Allen, D-Ware, Haynesworth, Jenkins, etc.

Im a Giants fan and their DL is just nasty. I want to feel like im using them and get to the QB in a matter of seconds. Same thing if i use the Vikings, Steelers, etc. In previous maddens, it seemed liked the DE would only get a sack if he beat his man clean or just out ran him around the edge. I want to see my DE use his strength and push the OL towards the QB. I also want to see my DT get penetration to prevent the QB from stepping up.

All these would obviously be based on ratings as well. If i have an elite DT, then the penetration should be greater and they should get to the QB faster. Same thing with the DE. If i have a weak DL, it should take much longer for them to get to the QB. I want to feel like im using the elite DL and in previous maddens, it didnt feel like i was.

The same for the OL. I want my great OL to be able to block much better then a poor one. It seemed like in previous maddens, it didnt matter who was on my OL, i always had success with them. Whats the point of having Jason Peters or Joe Thomas or Chris Snee? I think if these things are fixed(looks like they will) then this should make the game much better just from that.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
Pro

Sometimes I wonder if people care more about the towel moving than the big guys up front.

All of the blame and none of the glory!!!!

4-6-09
Old 05-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

My biggest "want" for this game is double-team blocking by the O-line, something much more possible with Pro-tak now being used.

It'd be a real shame if they did all this work to make Pro-tak and then didn't use it for something essential like double-team blocks.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimSham
My biggest "want" for this game is double-team blocking by the O-line, something much more possible with Pro-tak now being used.

It'd be a real shame if they did all this work to make Pro-tak and then didn't use it for something essential like double-team blocks.
I just dont see how a 270lb Center blocks a 350lb DT alone... He is going to need help or at least a chip block to slow him down.

What about the person that is engaged and sees the delayed blitz inbound? Cant he at least try to put a hand out to slow the guy up for a slit second?

I want to see line play brought up to speed before I claim victory for EA and 10.

4-6-09
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2009, 03:01 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

This post got me to sign up to this forum.

I totally, completely agree with you! As a former (not very good) O-lineman, I am disgusted with the line play every freaking year in madden. Everyone else seems to be whining about getting "colored cleats" and halftime shows, but not enough people say that they'd like to have their uncovered lineman know that they should still block the guy in front of them on a base block! Jeez, just get the guy.

Line play is entirely too simplistic, it's like all linemen do is stand up and hug their opponent and then quit when the running back gets close. Where is the explosive punch on the snap, where are the down blocks, the chip blocks, double-teams, (working) traps, pulling and blocking upfield, and hell even the extra-curricular aggression after the play? I want to see LINEMEN. I want to see DL rip, swim, bull rush, occupy linemen to free LB, and (working) stunts.

An I-formation should NEVER be beat with a quarter defense on run, but somehow it happens all the time, why? Because the linemen are too dumb to block uncovered, and the size and ratings mean nothing since they get stuffed by DBs!

Madden will NEVER EVER BE SIM if the trenches continues to be ignored. I will say that I liked what I saw in the demo of Pro-Tak for pass blocking, but then I saw the same-ol crap in the demo for the wildcat when the line were missing blocks and the pulling tackle+TE botched the trap and upfield block on the counter wildcat. Keep up the progress, EA... Hopefully one day I'll see a OL/DL on the cover and I'll know that you guys ain't playing any more.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:18 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStray72
This post got me to sign up to this forum.

I totally, completely agree with you! As a former (not very good) O-lineman, I am disgusted with the line play every freaking year in madden. Everyone else seems to be whining about getting "colored cleats" and halftime shows, but not enough people say that they'd like to have their uncovered lineman know that they should still block the guy in front of them on a base block! Jeez, just get the guy.

Line play is entirely too simplistic, it's like all linemen do is stand up and hug their opponent and then quit when the running back gets close. Where is the explosive punch on the snap, where are the down blocks, the chip blocks, double-teams, (working) traps, pulling and blocking upfield, and hell even the extra-curricular aggression after the play? I want to see LINEMEN. I want to see DL rip, swim, bull rush, occupy linemen to free LB, and (working) stunts.

An I-formation should NEVER be beat with a quarter defense on run, but somehow it happens all the time, why? Because the linemen are too dumb to block uncovered, and the size and ratings mean nothing since they get stuffed by DBs!

Madden will NEVER EVER BE SIM if the trenches continues to be ignored. I will say that I liked what I saw in the demo of Pro-Tak for pass blocking, but then I saw the same-ol crap in the demo for the wildcat when the line were missing blocks and the pulling tackle+TE botched the trap and upfield block on the counter wildcat. Keep up the progress, EA... Hopefully one day I'll see a OL/DL on the cover and I'll know that you guys ain't playing any more.

Lol the reason people aren't posting threads on the line play is because EA has already made it one of their biggest priorities, if you seen the trailer the line play is much better and with pro tak i think its gonna be as realistic as ever but still no colored cleats but more importantly no long socks =[
Old 05-03-2009, 03:46 AM   #8
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

LOL I love people who are never happy. But the thing is if DB team ain't in then owell you will have to put it on your wishlist for madden 11

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »